Offensive Pass Interference

Talk about the Canadian Football League

Moderator: Referees

Do you think that Offensive Pass Interfence should be added to the list of challengeable calls?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 3

Sir Purrcival
Superstar

Offensive Pass Interference

Post by Sir Purrcival » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:06 am

So over the last few weeks, we have seen and heard commented upon, that Offensive Pass Interference should be a challengeable call. I am of two minds about this.

1. it should be challengeable for the same reason as Defensive Pass Interference. Why one is and the other isn't is unfathomable.

2. it is yet another thing to bring the game to a screeching halt. It seems almost after every play, you have to wait to see if the plays is going to be challenged before you can cheer. Pass interference, spot of the ball, fumble or down by contact, inbounds or no, forward pass or lateral and so on. It almost makes you wonder why you should have officials on the field at all. Why not let the command centre officiate from there and simply have a linesman or two to spot the ball. Okay a bit overblown so sue me.

But seriously, what do you think.
Lest We Forget!

AGENT-784
All Star

Re: Offensive Pass Interference

Post by AGENT-784 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:01 pm

OPI should not be up for challenge.
It would simply be one more scenario that the replay booth would bungle more often than not.
Lions got jobbed today when DPI was overturned.
Really ???
The defender made subtle but deliberate contact with the receiver three times before the ball arrived.
The right call was made on the field.
Should never have been up for review, never mind being overturned.
Technology is the branch of knowledge which turns irreplaceable natural things into disposable dead things.

Sir Purrcival
Superstar

Post by Sir Purrcival » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:10 am

AGENT-784 wrote:OPI should not be up for challenge.
It would simply be one more scenario that the replay booth would bungle more often than not.
Lions got jobbed today when DPI was overturned.
Really ???
The defender made subtle but deliberate contact with the receiver three times before the ball arrived.
The right call was made on the field.
Should never have been up for review, never mind being overturned.
While I generally agree with you, the call was a weak one. I have seen lots of hand fighting far worse than what was on that play that goes uncalled. However, once the call was made, it shouldn't have been overturned. Sadly, that may have turned the game around too. It wasn't long after that, that the wheels began to fall off the cart for the Lions. I don't think it changed the outcome but a TD on that drive might have changed the tenor of the game.
Lest We Forget!

AGENT-784
All Star

Post by AGENT-784 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:04 pm

Hand fighting is generally tolerated when it is the receiver who is constantly initiating it.
In that case, I have no problem with the defender returning the favour.
On this play, Rainey, who is not an every down receiver, was looking to just chase down the ball with no intention of getting mixed up with the defender.
Zebra on the field saw the one-sided contact and correct call was made.
Technology is the branch of knowledge which turns irreplaceable natural things into disposable dead things.