Toronto Dolphins anyone? Could the Argos be in trouble??

Discuss the NFL, NFL in Toronto and NCAA Football

Moderator: Referees

Invader
Champion

Toronto Dolphins anyone? Could the Argos be in trouble??

Post by Invader » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:10 pm

moved
Last edited by Invader on Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iso_55
Legend

Post by iso_55 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:39 pm

OMG!!! Will this ever end??? :?
I've got soul but I'm not a soldier.

Ron
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Ron » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:47 pm

This is beyond silly. The NFL and the Bills would never allow it ... and on top of that it would cost another Bil to pay off the Bills for their territory (If they did the absolute impossible and allowed it)
Contrary to popular belief, the most dangerous animal is not the lion or tiger or even the elephant. The most dangerous animal is a shark riding on an elephant, just trampling and eating everything they see.

OVDB
Superstar

Post by OVDB » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:57 pm

Let's face it - the Argos are doomed - the entire CFL for that matter - no football league can survive the onslaught of the all-mighty super-hero NFL. Might as well fold the CFL now to get it over with. NFL in Toronto - oh my gawd - every single league sponsor would flee the league, not a single TV network would be interested in carrying any CFL games and CFL attendance would plummet into the hundreds - maybe/probably. Give it up CFL.

However, not all is lost for sure. Maybe Bobby Ackles could use his NFL connections to wrangle an NFL farm league deal to let the CFL survive - the CFL could play it's games on Fridays during NFL season with the NFL network showing the odd game or at least nice highlight packages. The CFL BOGutlessmorons could work well with the NFL bigwigs who might throw them a few more schekels in "fees" vs. what they could gouge an Ottawa "expansion" team for - American rules would better suit an NFL farm league though - 3 downs and single points ??? - what a joke (quaint though).

Can't wait for yet more discussion on this interestin' topic - led by the Toronna media. C'mon now Canadians - you want to be seen as major league don't ya? We'll still have our memories of the good ole CFL; and maybe a few more CFL players could get try-outs as back-ups or special teamers in the NFL. And the farm league CFL will still be OK - they could play the Grey Cup at half-time at the Super Bowl - imagine that, the CFL getting some big league exposure.

Toronto Bills or Dolphins? - maybe Toronto Dilldos?

ArgoDave
Legend
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts
Location: Sitting in my chair, being a swell guy loved by all...

Post by ArgoDave » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:25 pm

Ron wrote:This is beyond silly. The NFL and the Bills would never allow it ... and on top of that it would cost another Bil to pay off the Bills for their territory (If they did the absolute impossible and allowed it)
I gotta wonder if Godfrey is banging his head on his desk in frustration since it was his maneuvering that made the TO area part of the Bills Territory officially. And now the Dolphins are available.... :rotf:
Gord for Mayor of Swaggerville!

Ron
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Ron » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:28 pm

ArgoDave wrote:
Ron wrote:This is beyond silly. The NFL and the Bills would never allow it ... and on top of that it would cost another Bil to pay off the Bills for their territory (If they did the absolute impossible and allowed it)
I gotta wonder if Godfrey is banging his head on his desk in frustration since it was his maneuvering that made the TO area part of the Bills Territory officially. And now the Dolphins are available.... :rotf:
Good point. He must have one heck of a welt by now. :rotf:

Cool
Superstar

Post by Cool » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:47 pm

OVDB wrote:Let's face it - the Argos are doomed - the entire CFL for that matter - no football league can survive the onslaught of the all-mighty super-hero NFL. Might as well fold the CFL now to get it over with. NFL in Toronto - oh my gawd - every single league sponsor would flee the league, not a single TV network would be interested in carrying any CFL games and CFL attendance would plummet into the hundreds - maybe/probably. Give it up CFL.

However, not all is lost for sure. Maybe Bobby Ackles could use his NFL connections to wrangle an NFL farm league deal to let the CFL survive - the CFL could play it's games on Fridays during NFL season with the NFL network showing the odd game or at least nice highlight packages. The CFL BOGutlessmorons could work well with the NFL bigwigs who might throw them a few more schekels in "fees" vs. what they could gouge an Ottawa "expansion" team for - American rules would better suit an NFL farm league though - 3 downs and single points ??? - what a joke (quaint though).

Can't wait for yet more discussion on this interestin' topic - led by the Toronna media. C'mon now Canadians - you want to be seen as major league don't ya? We'll still have our memories of the good ole CFL; and maybe a few more CFL players could get try-outs as back-ups or special teamers in the NFL. And the farm league CFL will still be OK - they could play the Grey Cup at half-time at the Super Bowl - imagine that, the CFL getting some big league exposure.

Toronto Bills or Dolphins? - maybe Toronto Dilldos?
Hmm...

tigger
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Favourite Team: Hamilton Tiger Cats

Post by tigger » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:21 pm

:wss:

argofan87
Superstar

Post by argofan87 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:25 pm

Yes, the Miami Dolphins, one of the most popular franchises in the National Football League is going to pack up their bags and leave the Miami-West Palm-Ft. Lauderdale metropolitan area :juggle: . There is as much likelihood of that as there was Barry Bonds not appearing on the Mitchell report! The Dolphins suck this year, there's no denying that, but South Florida lives and breathes Miami Dolphins football. Marlins, ecch! Panthers, ecch! Heat, meh! They care about the Dolphins down there and there'd probably be a riot if they were to pack up and leave.

No need to start fueling the fire when there is nothing to fuel.
Ummagumma

stallionsfan
Playground Scrub

Post by stallionsfan » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:39 pm

This will never end. I will be reading these forums 50 years from now and people will still be discussing an NFL team moving to Toronto, then I will finish and move to another topic where people will be discussing when the CFL will add a ninth and tenth team.

Invader
Champion

Post by Invader » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:49 pm

Good points all! But I'm sure the Bills fans in Buffalo are just as fervent for their team as Dolphin fans. Moving an NFL team is never easy, but it has been done before! I guess nobody thought that Ricky Williams would be playing for Toronto again!! I'm sure he knows his way around the old stomping grounds, and can hook the guys up, know what i'm sayin'? And speaking of expansion, wasn't the CFL going to put a team in Miami at one time?? (oops, sorry mods, wrong forum :( :8)

Hollywood2
Champion

Post by Hollywood2 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:55 pm

How can NFL owners sleep at night knowing that they lack a franchise in the Big Lemon?

How can football fans in Winnipeg, Edmontown, Montreal, Calgary, Vancouver, Regina, and Hamilton tolerate live football when instead they could watch a Toronto team on TV?

Image An NFL franchise would solve all of that.

August 8, 1961
HAMILTON TIGER-CATS 38
BUFFALO BILLS 21
The Tiger-Cats are the reigning champions of CFL/NFL football.

tigger
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by tigger » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:00 pm

Invader wrote:Good points all! But I'm sure the Bills fans in Buffalo are just as fervent for their team as Dolphin fans. Moving an NFL team is never easy, but it has been done before! I guess nobody thought that Ricky Williams would be playing for Toronto again!! I'm sure he knows his way around the old stomping grounds, and can hook the guys up, know what i'm sayin'? And speaking of expansion, wasn't the CFL going to put a team in Miami at one time?? (oops, sorry mods, wrong forum :( :8)
I dont get it, Wrong forum?

Invader mention CFL :8)

Joepritch2
Champion

Post by Joepritch2 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:36 pm

Off the beaten path for a moment, but I'd chuckle if the sale to Perez and Ross goes through. Ross was the final owner of the Baltimore Stars, winners of two of three USFL champions. He bought the team after the final game, but before the anti-trust trial in the summer of 1986.

Ravi Ramkissoonsingh
Hall of Famer

Post by Ravi Ramkissoonsingh » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:18 am

Ron wrote:
ArgoDave wrote:
Good point. He must have one heck of a welt by now. :rotf:
:rotf: :rotf:
There is one thing that no Argo fan should ever forget - Rob Ford, Doug Ford, Paul Godfrey, Phil Lind and Larry Tanenbaum are all pure evil!