Toronto Dolphins anyone? Could the Argos be in trouble??

Discuss the NFL, NFL in Toronto and NCAA Football

Moderator: Referees

ArgoDave
Legend
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts
Location: Sitting in my chair, being a swell guy loved by all...

Post by ArgoDave » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:18 am

argofan87 wrote:Yes, the Miami Dolphins, one of the most popular franchises in the National Football League is going to pack up their bags and leave the Miami-West Palm-Ft. Lauderdale metropolitan area :juggle: . There is as much likelihood of that as there was Barry Bonds not appearing on the Mitchell report! The Dolphins suck this year, there's no denying that, but South Florida lives and breathes Miami Dolphins football. Marlins, ecch! Panthers, ecch! Heat, meh! They care about the Dolphins down there and there'd probably be a riot if they were to pack up and leave.

No need to start fueling the fire when there is nothing to fuel.
These were the same people who tried to steal the Saints right after Katrina. Do you think they'd care a fig about the people of Miami? If they could they would, but I think with their machinations they made it impossible for any team but Buffalo to move here, since we are in 'their' territory now.
Gord for Mayor of Swaggerville!

cromartie
Superstar

Post by cromartie » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:32 am

Joepritch2 wrote:Off the beaten path for a moment, but I'd chuckle if the sale to Perez and Ross goes through. Ross was the final owner of the Baltimore Stars, winners of two of three USFL champions. He bought the team after the final game, but before the anti-trust trial in the summer of 1986.
They did that because they gambled that the USFL would win the suit with the NFL and they'd get a cut of the Anti-trust award. Donald Trump actually talked a couple of people into that deal.

Oops.

Joepritch2
Champion

Post by Joepritch2 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:17 am

I believe Ross was one of those that Trump talked into doing so. I don't think Perez was around at that point, but reference material (besides the book "The $1 League") is very hard to find on the subject.

Time does heal all wounds, and we even saw Trump attend a draft in a spotlight role. I just didn't think we'd see it where someone with a major financial interest in the USFL would be even considered as a potential NFL owner.

wizardjagon
Starter

Post by wizardjagon » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:16 am

The NFL would try to get them to Los Angeles before Toronto, but realistically they'll stay in Miami. Argos are safe for a long time to come. Could actually see the Bills going to Los Angeles if they go up for sale, the way the NFL has been trying to get a team out there I think it will be through relocation as the league is big enough the schedules are laid out nicely, talent level is getting spread out and the talk is the talent level is thin already. So really don't see any expansion any time soon in the NFL.

Sir Purrcival
Superstar

Post by Sir Purrcival » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:23 am

Dolphins moving, :roll: If the impossible were to happen, it would be to LA, not the GTA, OK! , Ole

or now that I've seen it.

:whs:
Lest We Forget!

Tighthead
Starter

Post by Tighthead » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:16 pm

Miami is a strong city and market, the owners will get a decent return on their investment there. Buffalo is the only franchise in serious danger of moving at this time.

wizardjagon
Starter

Post by wizardjagon » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:33 am

Tighthead wrote:Miami is a strong city and market, the owners will get a decent return on their investment there. Buffalo is the only franchise in serious danger of moving at this time.

Yeah an Los Angeles is the next place the NFL wants to go with the next available team.

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Post by Inquiring Mind » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:43 pm

Looks like Huizenga is gonna keep the Dolphins as long as The Big Tuna comes and stays with the 'Fins.

Chicken Little can relax for the holidays :lol:
-

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

Ron
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Ron » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:45 pm

wizardjagon wrote:
Tighthead wrote:Miami is a strong city and market, the owners will get a decent return on their investment there. Buffalo is the only franchise in serious danger of moving at this time.

Yeah an Los Angeles is the next place the NFL wants to go with the next available team.
LA for NFL = Halifax for CFL

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Post by Inquiring Mind » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:08 pm

Ron wrote:
wizardjagon wrote:

At least in LA's favour they have three or four stadiums with suitable seating capacity... Halifax, not so much :lol:
-

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

wildthing1971
Hall of Famer
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Post by wildthing1971 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:19 pm

Inquiring Mind wrote:
Ron wrote:
wizardjagon wrote:

At least in LA's favour they have three or four stadiums with suitable seating capacity... Halifax, not so much :lol:
what i don't understand in LA is how they can support 2 baseball (anaheim is LA), 2 or 3 basketball (, 2 hockey and so on that they cannot support 1 NFL team? I suspect it is more the marketing of previous ownership that has been the issue
when is the last time you got paid to drink coffee coffee? Ask me about healthy coffee its good stuff. www.healthyforyoucoffee.com

Tighthead
Starter

Post by Tighthead » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:56 pm

Inquiring Mind wrote:
Ron wrote:
wizardjagon wrote:

There is a theory out there that the NFL is happy having LA vacant, because they still have good television pull there. By not having a franchise in LA, all the existing owners can blackmail their local governments for new stadia - threatening to move if they don't get a new place built. I'm not sure if the theory is true, but I believe it has that effect, if that makes any sense.

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Post by Inquiring Mind » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:57 pm

wildthing1971 wrote:
Inquiring Mind wrote:
Ron wrote:
wizardjagon wrote:

what i don't understand in LA is how they can support 2 baseball (anaheim is LA), 2 or 3 basketball (, 2 hockey and so on that they cannot support 1 NFL team? I suspect it is more the marketing of previous ownership that has been the issue
I'd suspect that as well... cause there doesn'ts seem to be any issue supporting the college teams to say the least
-