Argos - Bills protest video-or tee shirt sale? (Bills in TO)

Discuss the NFL, NFL in Toronto and NCAA Football

Moderator: Referees

MulderS
Starter
Posts: 423
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 10:54 am
Location: Toronto

Re: Argos - Bills protest video - or tee shirt sale?

Post by MulderS » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:19 am

Ravi Ramkissoonsingh wrote:Apparently, Rogers is paying the Bills $78 million for the "privilege" of having them play in Toronto: http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/Footba ... 23666.html

Awesome Just Awesome.

Here is what this means.

54,000 Seats in Rogers Center
8 Games means 432,000 people (I stress people not fans :) ) Will have a chance to see an NFL Game at the Dome.

78,000,000 Paid to have the bills play in Toronto.

In order for Mr. Ted Rogers to turn a Profit on this (seat says only say)

78,000,000/432,000 = $180.55 Per Seat. Per Game. without concessions, TV or anything else.

Now thats Average not medium price which Rogers Gave us to be $220. Saying "The Medium price is 220" is also a dodge of of what the price really is. But does say half the stadium will be paying more than the 220.

Now i do think this game will flop. Seats will only be filled with suits.

User avatar
ArgoDave
Legend
Posts: 19472
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2002 8:04 am
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts
Location: Sitting in my chair, being a swell guy loved by all...
Contact:

Re: Argos - Bills protest video - or tee shirt sale?

Post by ArgoDave » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:32 am

Ravi Ramkissoonsingh wrote:Apparently, Rogers is paying the Bills $78 million for the "privilege" of having them play in Toronto: http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/Footba ... 23666.html
Like I've said ALL ALONG, for the Bills this is just a CASH GRAB to help them in their money woes in Buffalo, and what a grab it is! It would be funny to see this fail, but we all know it won't, even if it does, they'd never admit it. :wink:

But if it keeps them in Buffalo I'm OK with that. :canada:
Gord for Mayor of Swaggerville!

User avatar
ArgoDave
Legend
Posts: 19472
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2002 8:04 am
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts
Location: Sitting in my chair, being a swell guy loved by all...
Contact:

Re: Argos - Bills protest video - or tee shirt sale?

Post by ArgoDave » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:36 am

I'm still waiting for a legitimate explanation as to how the CFL can survive in TO if these bozos bring an NFL team to town.

Or was that all just wishful thinking and hyperbole?
Gord for Mayor of Swaggerville!

User avatar
ArgoDave
Legend
Posts: 19472
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2002 8:04 am
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts
Location: Sitting in my chair, being a swell guy loved by all...
Contact:

Re: Argos - Bills protest video-or tee shirt sale? (Bills in TO)

Post by ArgoDave » Thu May 01, 2008 4:27 am

Still waiting for someone to explain to me how the CFL can rework how it does business in TO to survive the NFL moving in.

Lower prices?

They're already far cheaper than the NFL will be....and the Argos would only lose more money as well as casual fans who will already abandon them in favour over the over-hyped NFL.

Advertise more? Costs money and no one will notice with the Media trumpeting the NFL on a Daily basis.

Move somewhere else? Not possible. Unfortunately.

Bluto?

Please Advise.
Gord for Mayor of Swaggerville!

User avatar
ArgoDave
Legend
Posts: 19472
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2002 8:04 am
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts
Location: Sitting in my chair, being a swell guy loved by all...
Contact:

Re: Argos - Bills protest video-or tee shirt sale? (Bills in TO)

Post by ArgoDave » Fri May 02, 2008 5:11 pm

Ok, I've waited about a week now, and still no ideas from Bluto as to how the CFL can change it's ways to survive the NFL moving in permanently if somehow the Godfrey cabal manages to outbid all other potential buyers for the Bills...and that if a Big IF regardless of that platitude some here like to spout about avalanches, mere wishful thinking at it's best.

To recap Bluto, here is what he has said:
bluto wrote:i don't see why anyone thinks that the NFL's inevitable inclusion of Toronto is the death knell of the CFL. It needn't have any negative effect. In fact, if teamed up properly, it could be a boon. You can't see any potentially partenerships that could strengthen the CFL while benefitting the NFL as well?

The CFL and its fans can kick, scream and whine and vainly try to block the inevitable and end up looking frightened and bush-league...or they can negotiate the best arrangement for coexistence now and actually try to benefit.

The CFL can lay the groundwork for a new relationship now, or they can wish later that they had. Then if the CFL does get killed off because it lacked forsight and adaptability the chicken-littles of today will be proud to crow about how they told us so.

Stalwartly allowing a grand tradition and its fans to endure hardship rather than modify the current way the CFL does business.
And I ask again Ry, explain the bolded parts to me if you can....HOW would you change the way the CFL does business, what kind of deal could benefit the NFL? Provide examples please. (as if they need any help really, the CFL is the only team in danger here)

Or admit it was all just hyperbole, wishful thinking and assumptions with little basis in fact, just what you want to happen.

Especially the part about the NFL coming here as 'inevitable'. They said the same thing about Toronto getting the Olympics too, crowing about how much better TO was than China, how World Class it is, and how bad Chinas Human Rights record was to keep anyone from thinking TO had even a glimmer of possibility of NOT getting the Olympics...and we didn't, did we? I don't know why people think Toronto deserves the NFL, they didn't support the Phantoms and they barely support the Argos, in fact TO just isn't a football town at all really, they just love the Leafs and some just love anything 'big US league' even if it's crap.

If TO was going to get an NFL team they'd have one by now IMO. The NFL has a nicely balanced schedule, even number of teams, and are at the point if they grow too big you will see the dilution of talent we see in the NHL. All that leaves is buying a team, and they don't go for sale often. Yeah, they do move for better deals to new cities or new stadiums but don't change Owners all that often. That's why RW dying and his Estate auctioning the team off to the highest bidder, as he said they're going to do, is a big deal because it's also a rare one. So yes I do believe it will attract a LOT of interest down south, the Godfrey Cabal bid will only be one of many unless RW has been lying all along and has already promised the Bills to the traitorous dogs. Is RW lying Ry? Do you know this?

Don't take this as a personal attack Ry, it isn't at all, I just don't like it when someone talks down to me while giving people like me a slap in the face, expecting us to just accept what they say as Gospel. That won't wash with me, I require at least a reasoned argument before I'll change my mind. I'm kinda stubborn that way. :wink: :beer:
Gord for Mayor of Swaggerville!

User avatar
ArgoDave
Legend
Posts: 19472
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2002 8:04 am
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts
Location: Sitting in my chair, being a swell guy loved by all...
Contact:

Re: Argos - Bills protest video-or tee shirt sale? (Bills in TO)

Post by ArgoDave » Mon May 05, 2008 6:48 pm

:huh:

:i: :i:

:popcorn:

Image

Image
Gord for Mayor of Swaggerville!

User avatar
ArgoDave
Legend
Posts: 19472
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2002 8:04 am
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts
Location: Sitting in my chair, being a swell guy loved by all...
Contact:

Re: Argos - Bills protest video-or tee shirt sale? (Bills in TO)

Post by ArgoDave » Wed May 07, 2008 3:39 pm

From an article in Todays Toronto Pravda:
Pro-NFL Butt-Lickers wrote: Two sources said the average ticket price for the Toronto games will be a whopping $183. That’s more than triple the $51 (U.S.) average price the Bills will charge for their home games this season at Ralph Wilson Stadium.
PT Barnum was right.

Someone will pay that for an NFL PreSeason game...they ought to have their head examined. Seriously. :o :roll:
Pro-NFL Butt-Lickers wrote: Football fans from across the country have formally expressed their interest in watching live NFL football in Toronto,” Phil Lind, vice-chairman, Rogers Communications, said in a statement. “We are overwhelmed by this response, and we are now working hard to ensure that the NFL experience in Toronto will be unforgettable. We are looking forward to having an electric atmosphere with 54,000 passionate fans in Rogers Centre for these games."
And the Hype begins.

Oh yes, preseason games are SOOOOOO electric watching guys who will never make the team anyway. And I'm sure after getting thoroughly fleeced by extravagant ticket prices, high parking fees, expensive food and beer, no tailgate worth speaking of, excessive traffic jams, Border lineups and a very good chance of a ticket from the various Police forces for driving impaired I'm sure it will be unforgettable...suckers! :tease: :rotf: :devil:
Gord for Mayor of Swaggerville!

User avatar
Ravi Ramkissoonsingh
Hall of Famer
Posts: 9155
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2002 6:42 pm
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts
Location: St Catharines, Ontario

Re: Argos - Bills protest video-or tee shirt sale? (Bills in TO)

Post by Ravi Ramkissoonsingh » Wed May 07, 2008 7:28 pm

It will be interesting to see if the demand for tickets is as high by 2010 or 2011 once the novelty has worn off. I am still very skeptical about this 180k figure being bandied about by Rogers. I doubt that any sport in Toronto (outside of the Leafs perhaps) can generate 180k people looking for tickets. I truly don't believe that the NFL can.
There is one thing that no Argo fan should ever forget - Rob Ford, Doug Ford, Paul Godfrey, Phil Lind and Larry Tanenbaum are all pure evil!

Tighthead
Starter
Posts: 354
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:11 pm

Re: Argos - Bills protest video-or tee shirt sale? (Bills in TO)

Post by Tighthead » Wed May 07, 2008 7:48 pm

Ravi Ramkissoonsingh wrote:It will be interesting to see if the demand for tickets is as high by 2010 or 2011 once the novelty has worn off. I am still very skeptical about this 180k figure being bandied about by Rogers. I doubt that any sport in Toronto (outside of the Leafs perhaps) can generate 180k people looking for tickets. I truly don't believe that the NFL can.
There is also the fact that they won't really be a local team. Lots of people in Toronto are Bills fans, but lots support other teams. How often do you want to go to a game (regular season) between two non-local teams?

User avatar
ArgoDave
Legend
Posts: 19472
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2002 8:04 am
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts
Location: Sitting in my chair, being a swell guy loved by all...
Contact:

Re: Argos - Bills protest video-or tee shirt sale? (Bills in TO)

Post by ArgoDave » Thu May 08, 2008 5:58 pm

Tighthead wrote: There is also the fact that they won't really be a local team. Lots of people in Toronto are Bills fans, but lots support other teams. How often do you want to go to a game (regular season) between two non-local teams?
i think what will happen is that you'll see people who are not Bills fans buying tix to see the 'other teams', especially the competent ones, that they want to see and trying to sell the rest. Expect to see many on Ebay and such. I've had 3 people inquire if I could get them a ticket to see a specific team, not the Bills.

After all, people who want to see the Bills could do it easier and cheaper just going to Buffalo really.
Gord for Mayor of Swaggerville!

Tighthead
Starter
Posts: 354
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:11 pm

Re: Argos - Bills protest video-or tee shirt sale? (Bills in TO)

Post by Tighthead » Thu May 08, 2008 8:39 pm

ArgoDave wrote:
Tighthead wrote: There is also the fact that they won't really be a local team. Lots of people in Toronto are Bills fans, but lots support other teams. How often do you want to go to a game (regular season) between two non-local teams?
i think what will happen is that you'll see people who are not Bills fans buying tix to see the 'other teams', especially the competent ones, that they want to see and trying to sell the rest. Expect to see many on Ebay and such. I've had 3 people inquire if I could get them a ticket to see a specific team, not the Bills.

After all, people who want to see the Bills could do it easier and cheaper just going to Buffalo really.
I agree, and people will only really become avid Bills fans if the team relocates (not saying it will or should). There will be a pop at first, but after 4 years I don't expect the Bills will have won many hard core converts making the trip to Buffalo, or really be "Toronto's team". I gather Toronto was much more into the Bills in the K-gun days of the early 90s. The NFL is likely as or more popular than it was than, but the fan base more spread out. Someone who is a fan of another team won't adopt the Bills based on one or two games per year.

User avatar
ArgoDave
Legend
Posts: 19472
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2002 8:04 am
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts
Location: Sitting in my chair, being a swell guy loved by all...
Contact:

Re: Argos - Bills protest video-or tee shirt sale? (Bills in TO)

Post by ArgoDave » Fri May 09, 2008 5:16 pm

Tighthead wrote: I agree, and people will only really become avid Bills fans if the team relocates (not saying it will or should). There will be a pop at first, but after 4 years I don't expect the Bills will have won many hard core converts making the trip to Buffalo, or really be "Toronto's team". I gather Toronto was much more into the Bills in the K-gun days of the early 90s. The NFL is likely as or more popular than it was than, but the fan base more spread out. Someone who is a fan of another team won't adopt the Bills based on one or two games per year.
Agreed. TO fans only really support winners, Leafs being the notable exception, and the Bills haven't been winners since those days. I'd imagine the big name NFL teams like the Cowboys, Dolphins, Jets, GB, etc have more Canadian fans overall than the Bills, Just that the Bills fans are more concentrated in South Ontario so we hear more about them. I bet out west you have more GB and Seahawks fans, that kinda thing.

Absolutely no way would the Bills ever be called 'Canada's Team' except in the minds of a few deluded Bills fans here. Westerners will hate them for being based in TO just on habit.
Gord for Mayor of Swaggerville!

User avatar
Ravi Ramkissoonsingh
Hall of Famer
Posts: 9155
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2002 6:42 pm
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts
Location: St Catharines, Ontario

Re: Argos - Bills protest video-or tee shirt sale? (Bills in TO)

Post by Ravi Ramkissoonsingh » Fri May 09, 2008 11:42 pm

ArgoDave wrote:
Tighthead wrote: I agree, and people will only really become avid Bills fans if the team relocates (not saying it will or should). There will be a pop at first, but after 4 years I don't expect the Bills will have won many hard core converts making the trip to Buffalo, or really be "Toronto's team". I gather Toronto was much more into the Bills in the K-gun days of the early 90s. The NFL is likely as or more popular than it was than, but the fan base more spread out. Someone who is a fan of another team won't adopt the Bills based on one or two games per year.
Agreed. TO fans only really support winners, Leafs being the notable exception, and the Bills haven't been winners since those days. I'd imagine the big name NFL teams like the Cowboys, Dolphins, Jets, GB, etc have more Canadian fans overall than the Bills, Just that the Bills fans are more concentrated in South Ontario so we hear more about them. I bet out west you have more GB and Seahawks fans, that kinda thing.

Absolutely no way would the Bills ever be called 'Canada's Team' except in the minds of a few deluded Bills fans here. Westerners will hate them for being based in TO just on habit.
I am skeptical about just how much of a home field advantage the Bills will have in Toronto. It certainly won't be anything like they have in Buffalo but their owner has sold his soul to the devil(s) so the players will lose some home field advantage as a result.
There is one thing that no Argo fan should ever forget - Rob Ford, Doug Ford, Paul Godfrey, Phil Lind and Larry Tanenbaum are all pure evil!

User avatar
Oiler
Superstar
Posts: 2280
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2003 4:58 am

Re: Argos - Bills protest video-or tee shirt sale? (Bills in TO)

Post by Oiler » Mon May 12, 2008 8:38 pm

If the Bills ever move to Toronto and are a success, that would be a great business move. The prospective owners are only looking at bottom line.

User avatar
cossack
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Posts: 5559
Joined: Mon May 26, 2003 8:58 am
Location: Toronto

Re: Argos - Bills protest video-or tee shirt sale? (Bills in TO)

Post by cossack » Tue May 13, 2008 2:37 pm

Oiler wrote:If the Bills ever move to Toronto and are a success, that would be a great business move. The prospective owners are only looking at bottom line.
I would like to see MLSE buy the Oilers and move them to Toronto. It would be a great business move and having a second team would really help the bottom line.
Argos Suck! Since 1869. Accept no substitutions or pale imitiations.

The one true and original. All time head to head won loss record:
Hamilton: 124 W 91 L 2T! Now you know why the Argos Suck!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest