NFL To Shut Down In 2011?

Discuss the NFL, NFL in Toronto and NCAA Football

Moderator: Referees

argolio
Hall of Famer

Re: NFL To Shut Down In 2011?

Post by argolio » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:05 pm

Inquiring Mind wrote:
cunninglinguist wrote:IIRC the discussion included cutting down the preseason from 3 to 2 games, and adding 2 regular season games
Didn't seem to be what they were implying on PTI... they were talking about adding the two and playing the Super Bowl around Presidents Day, effectively two weeks later then currently.

But I've been known to be wrong on occasion
It's 4 preseason games now, so they'd cut that down to either 3 (if they go to 17 games) or 2 (if they go to 18). Either way, the regular season would end later, not start earlier.

If it's 18, they would add three weeks to the schedule, and each team would get two byes instead of one. This way, they'd have the Championship Games and the Super Bowl (to be played on the Presidents Day long weekend like you said) in February during "sweeps month", which would maximize ad revenues.

If it's 17 (which makes little sense to me), each conference would alternate getting nine home games.

I'm guessing they'll give the NFL network a full season of games, though I wonder if it will be a Thursday, Friday, or Saturday game. You can bet this will piss off college football.

Looks like we'll see one of these options in 2011.
My name is Argolio, and I approved this post.

cunninglinguist
Superstar
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Post by cunninglinguist » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:59 am

They are also planning on moving the Pro-Bowl to the Superbowl host city and having it during the bye week between conference championship and superbowl weekend.

Whatever, the probowl sucks anyhow, not like I will watch anyhow
As LL Cool J once said "Don't call it a comeback, I've been here for years"

Lerriuqs
Legend

Post by Lerriuqs » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:05 pm

cunninglinguist wrote:They are also planning on moving the Pro-Bowl to the Superbowl host city and having it during the bye week between conference championship and superbowl weekend.

Whatever, the probowl sucks anyhow, not like I will watch anyhow
It's just for this year - they're pretty close to a deal for the Pro Bowl to go back to Hawaii for the 2010 season.

Rids
Superstar

Post by Rids » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:51 pm

With the poor ticket sales for the Pro Bowl in Hawaii I don't know why they would rush back. At first I had heard that the Pro Bowl was leaving Hawaii for at least two years. This year I believe the Pro Bowl was blacked out in Hawaii due to the lack of tickets sold.

Plus that stadium there at UHawaii needs some serious upgrades which should be done sooner rather than later.

Can you imagine the nightmare of the one year contacts worth $20+ million for 2010? Could kill off a few owners!
http://www.JessicaRidley.com << My country singing wife

Lerriuqs
Legend

Post by Lerriuqs » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:21 am

Rids wrote:With the poor ticket sales for the Pro Bowl in Hawaii I don't know why they would rush back. At first I had heard that the Pro Bowl was leaving Hawaii for at least two years. This year I believe the Pro Bowl was blacked out in Hawaii due to the lack of tickets sold.

Plus that stadium there at UHawaii needs some serious upgrades which should be done sooner rather than later.

Can you imagine the nightmare of the one year contacts worth $20+ million for 2010? Could kill off a few owners!
i stand corrected - they are going back for 2011 and 2012...http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/stor ... LHeadlines

ArgoDave
Legend
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts
Location: Sitting in my chair, being a swell guy loved by all...

Post by ArgoDave » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:08 am

Lerriuqs wrote:
ping wrote:fools that make ridiculous headlines should be banned!
Umm...this is pretty accurate...Oh and be careful what you wish for ping, you might get it.
I don't often say this, but good one Lerriuqs. :wink:
Gord for Mayor of Swaggerville!

Ravi Ramkissoonsingh
Hall of Famer

Post by Ravi Ramkissoonsingh » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:50 pm

Rids wrote:With the poor ticket sales for the Pro Bowl in Hawaii I don't know why they would rush back. At first I had heard that the Pro Bowl was leaving Hawaii for at least two years. This year I believe the Pro Bowl was blacked out in Hawaii due to the lack of tickets sold.

Whenever I watch bits and pieces of the Pro Bowl, it seems like there are always lots of empty seats although they always claim a sellout. This is much like NFL games that are played north of the border.
There is one thing that no Argo fan should ever forget - Rob Ford, Doug Ford, Paul Godfrey, Phil Lind and Larry Tanenbaum are all pure evil!

Spellchecker
All Star
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions

Post by Spellchecker » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:45 pm

ping wrote:fools that make ridiculous headlines should be banned!
Right. I'm a fool. Ban me. Never mind that the reports at the time indeed contemplated that the 2011 season might be lost due to work stoppage. Like, that's just so nuts. Like, that's never happened before to the NFL ..or MLB....or the NHL. :hmm:
My message has been posted successfully.

Spellchecker
All Star

Post by Spellchecker » Tue May 19, 2009 10:43 pm

Further to Ping's call for me - the fool - to be banned for making up a "ridiculous" headline, there's now this:

"Don't be surprised if the NFL owners shut down the sport in 2011."

http://www.jacksonville.com/sports/foot ... le_lockout

Ping, please try to keep up. :tease:

amcflfan
Prospect

Post by amcflfan » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:02 am

Spellchecker wrote:There is some discussion coming out of the current NFL winter meetings that the league will run without a salary cap in 2010 and face a full work stoppage in 2011.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/w ... ml?eref=T1

Wouldn't that be great?????!!!! Another strike to expose more americans (and the world) to REAL football like i was exposed to the CFL back in 1982 during another nfl work stoppage. :D :D :D

Spellchecker
All Star

Post by Spellchecker » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:39 pm

This headline - which Ping thought should get me (the "fool") banned....is still relevant in January 2010.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/w ... mqb/1.html

Scroll down to "The negotiations for a new labor agreement couldn't be going any worse"

Cool
Superstar

Post by Cool » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:58 pm

Are We good enough yet?

Cool
Superstar

Post by Cool » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:38 pm

What is with the Spam lately. Holy.