NFL To Shut Down In 2011?

Discuss the NFL, NFL in Toronto and NCAA Football

Moderator: Referees

Spellchecker
All Star
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions

NFL To Shut Down In 2011?

Post by Spellchecker » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:28 pm

There is some discussion coming out of the current NFL winter meetings that the league will run without a salary cap in 2010 and face a full work stoppage in 2011.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/w ... ml?eref=T1
My message has been posted successfully.

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Re: NFL To Shut Down In 2011?

Post by Inquiring Mind » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:32 pm

On PTI they're talking about the NFL thinking about going to an 18 game sched for 2011 too
-

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

cunninglinguist
Superstar
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Post by cunninglinguist » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:37 pm

IIRC the discussion included cutting down the preseason from 3 to 2 games, and adding 2 regular season games
As LL Cool J once said "Don't call it a comeback, I've been here for years"

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Post by Inquiring Mind » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:53 pm

cunninglinguist wrote:IIRC the discussion included cutting down the preseason from 3 to 2 games, and adding 2 regular season games
Didn't seem to be what they were implying on PTI... they were talking about adding the two and playing the Super Bowl around Presidents Day, effectively two weeks later then currently.

But I've been known to be wrong on occasion
-

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

Brian Shepherd
Superstar

Post by Brian Shepherd » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:32 pm

cunninglinguist wrote:IIRC the discussion included cutting down the preseason from 3 to 2 games, and adding 2 regular season games
I thought the preseason had 6 games in it.

Rids
Superstar

Post by Rids » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:45 pm

Brian Shepherd wrote:
I thought the preseason had 6 games in it.
NFL pre-season is generally 4 games but teams that play in the Hall of Fame Game get an additional game most years. They do adjust it to include various American Bowls either in Canada, Mexico, Japan or England depending on the year.
http://www.JessicaRidley.com << My country singing wife

Lionsfan73
All Star

Post by Lionsfan73 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:17 am

Inquiring Mind wrote:
Didn't seem to be what they were implying on PTI... they were talking about adding the two and playing the Super Bowl around Presidents Day, effectively two weeks later then currently.

Great, just what we need is the nfl to drag its season another 2 weeks into the 3rd week of February. Its all bad enough now. Next thing you know theyll be talking Memorial Day super bowl.

Cool
Superstar
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Post by Cool » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:39 am

Lionsfan73 wrote:
Inquiring Mind wrote:

Great, just what we need is the nfl to drag its season another 2 weeks into the 3rd week of February. Its all bad enough now. Next thing you know theyll be talking Memorial Day super bowl.
If they do go to 18 games, I'd rather than them finish two weeks later than two weeks earlier. The only thing that this will affect is hockey, as baseball spring training still won't have started yet.

Lerriuqs
Legend

Post by Lerriuqs » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:42 pm

Inquiring Mind wrote:

Doesn't say when the season would start but they would be getting rid of preseason games if they switched.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/stor ... LHeadlines

Hymie
All Star

Post by Hymie » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:05 pm

Lionsfan73 wrote:
Inquiring Mind wrote:

Shouldn't be that big a deal. I can ignore the Super Bowl no matter when it is played. Actually this timing works out pretty good for me. I usually head out on an extended winter camping trip the second or third week of of Feb, so that means I'll miss all the endless hype. Alright. Bring it on! :thup:
The CFL is alive and well
We don't need the NFL

cunninglinguist
Superstar

Post by cunninglinguist » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:11 pm

sorry, got my preseason's for cfl versus nfl

Cool
Superstar

Post by Cool » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:41 pm

One thing I found disconcerning in the SI article was no salary cap. From our perspective, we need them to have a cap... when our's goes up, easier to sign potential draft picks (earliest I'd say is third round) and potential free agents.

ping
Hall of Famer

Post by ping » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:26 pm

fools that make ridiculous headlines should be banned!
We will all miss Garry, the #1 13th man and great human being!

Lerriuqs
Legend

Post by Lerriuqs » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:49 pm

ping wrote:fools that make ridiculous headlines should be banned!
Umm...this is pretty accurate...Oh and be careful what you wish for ping, you might get it.

cunninglinguist
Superstar

Post by cunninglinguist » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:27 pm

Lerriuqs wrote:
ping wrote:fools that make ridiculous headlines should be banned!
Umm...this is pretty accurate...Oh and be careful what you wish for ping, you might get it.
Now I'm a long time ping supporter, and take his side more often than not (I mean come on, the guy bought me a beer when I ran into him at a pub in Toronto at Grey Cup 07).

That said, hilarious