Moderator: Referees

Mark
Starter
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

College Ball 09

Post by Mark » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:31 pm

Starts next Thursday
Florida is #1 and I need to agree being a an Alabama Homer they are loaded

I heard on the radio the other day on the Herd that it will be Notre Dame and Florida for the national championship

I'm going to go Texas/Florida unless Ole Miss or Bama beats Florida in the SEC Championship game

Don't worry USC and Penn will be in the mix too
Sourthern Comfort Carry On..
Sweet The Sweet Home Alabama, Roll Tide Roll..

Rids
Superstar

Re: College Ball 09

Post by Rids » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:24 pm

Well not Penn as Ivy League teams rarely compete for football titles these past 50 years but I get what you're putting down and think that Penn State will be a real force in the Big Ten (er...Eleven). As for the National Championship I am also leaning to a Florida-Texas game but would love to see Notre Dame back into the Top 5 just to make folks worrying about the BCS even more.

Really hoping to get back down for a game or two this year but unless a bank account error in my favor occurs things aren't looking too good. If Florida was on the schedule as playing in Nashville against Vanderbilt I would've been there in a second regardless of work commitments.
http://www.JessicaRidley.com << My country singing wife

Mark
Starter
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Post by Mark » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:06 pm

After a few weeks of the season Bobby Bowden is on the really hot seat over at FSU
Auburn crashed and burned :13thman:
Bama keeps rolling :D
Florida isn't looking like they used to..Supreman Tim Tebow is human after all :0
Washington beat USC :ref:
How a bout Iowa...who da thunk that :popcorn:
Sourthern Comfort Carry On..
Sweet The Sweet Home Alabama, Roll Tide Roll..

Rids
Superstar

Post by Rids » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:18 pm

Iowa is a serious shocker. I didn't pick them to go 6-0 at all.

Lionsfan73
All Star

Post by Lionsfan73 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:23 pm

Rids wrote:Iowa is a serious shocker. I didn't pick them to go 6-0 at all.
7 and 0 baby!!!!!! Number 6 in the BCS!!!! The whole state is going crazy (except for those poor ISU fans).

Rids
Superstar

Post by Rids » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:51 pm

Good to see that Iowa is picking up support in the polls. With Ohio State losing again it puts Iowa in the drivers seat for a the Big Ten.

Lionsfan73
All Star

Post by Lionsfan73 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:29 am

Rids wrote:Good to see that Iowa is picking up support in the polls. With Ohio State losing again it puts Iowa in the drivers seat for a the Big Ten.
It is good to see. I think the polls are biased toward the SEC, ACC and a handful of big schools that can seem to do no wrong. (ie: Penn State still ranking ahead of Iowa after losing to them)

Iowa has a tough schedule ahead of them. Its going to be an interesting next few weeks. Im hoping to go a see them play either Minnesota or Northwestern in November. Cant wait. Im not attending the Grey Cup in Calgary due to the horrendous price gouging going on this year so this will be my live football fix for the fall (outside of some HS football).

argolio
Hall of Famer

Post by argolio » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:11 pm

Iowa is having a nice season, but no way I'd put them in the title game even if they were the only undefeated team.
My name is Argolio, and I approved this post.

Rids
Superstar

Post by Rids » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:27 pm

If Iowa runs the table I think they should get a lot of consideration for the National Championship. Either way they are a win over Ohio State away from a BCS Bowl. The beauty of college sports is that it really is a one shot deal so while Florida can say they have proved to be the best team over the past couple of years they really have no more hold on a berth in the game than a one year wonder.

With college sports I'd rather consider these types of teams a year that it all came together.

Lionsfan73
All Star

Post by Lionsfan73 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:52 pm

argolio wrote:Iowa is having a nice season, but no way I'd put them in the title game even if they were the only undefeated team.
Why not? So two teams with losses should be considered ahead of them? Thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard. If a Big Ten team runs the table and goes undefeated they should undoubtedly be considered for the championship. Who cares what theyve done in past years? It doesnt matter. I

Im personally sick of this Tebow lovefest and hope Florida craps the bed for the rest of the season.

argolio
Hall of Famer

Post by argolio » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:10 pm

Iowa would get in if all the other contenders have two losses (little chance of that) based on the BCS formula, but I think there is a good chance they'd take two one-loss teams over a 12-0 Iowa team that could only beat Arkansas St. by three at home and struggled to beat a 1-AA team at home by one.

In a scenario where Iowa, TCU and Boise State all went undefeated and there was only one one-loss team, Iowa would (undeservedly) get chosen to be in the title game before the other two simply because the BCS is designed to take care of the six BCS conferences before anyone else. You could argue Boise, but TCU would definitely have a better case than Iowa.

Tebow is great, get over it.

Rids
Superstar

Post by Rids » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:31 pm

I would love to see the TCU defense up against any of those. Been a couple of years of solid defense for the Frogs.

Overall it isn't like NCAA basketball that requires quality wins or needing lopsided wins. If Iowa runs the table their resume would be more impressive than the TCU resume even with only winning by a couple.

Lionsfan73
All Star

Post by Lionsfan73 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:49 am

argolio wrote:Iowa would get in if all the other contenders have two losses (little chance of that) based on the BCS formula, but I think there is a good chance they'd take two one-loss teams over a 12-0 Iowa team that could only beat Arkansas St. by three at home and struggled to beat a 1-AA team at home by one.
Why the hate on for Iowa? Two one loss teams over an undefeated Big Ten team? Are you kidding me? They may win ugly but they win. And thats all that should matter. Who cares if Boise State and TCU blow out some community college WAC or MWC teams? They are both glorified Div 2 conferences that shouldnt even be mentioned in this. Theres no doubt that if Ohio St or Michigan were 8-0 and possibly on their way to being 12-0 we wouldnt even be having this conversation.
In a scenario where Iowa, TCU and Boise State all went undefeated and there was only one one-loss team, Iowa would (undeservedly) get chosen to be in the title game before the other two simply because the BCS is designed to take care of the six BCS conferences before anyone else. You could argue Boise, but TCU would definitely have a better case than Iowa..
Why is that? Because they soundly defeated Texas State or was it the convincing 3 point win over powerhouse Air Force.
Tebow is great, get over it.

Greatly overrated more like it.

argolio
Hall of Famer

Post by argolio » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:16 pm

You're jealous about Tebow. That's cute.

The Air Force game was on the road, they have a fairly respected program, and they're a tough out in Colorado. No shame beating them by "only" three, not even if it was at home.

The Big 11 doesn't get a lot of respect nationally, but you're right -- Iowa is considered a step below the class of Ohio State or Michigan. Ohio State can't beat a team from Tebow's "greatly overrated" conference in a tough spot (someone from TCU's did). As for Michigan, never mind the massive, eternal shame of Appalachian State in '07 (the first win EVER by a team in Division I-AA over a ranked team in Division I-A, and the very first football game broadcast by the Big Ten Network -- oh the pride! :wink: ), but last year they lost (at home!!!) to a crappy Toledo team from the MAC, which is rated below the MWC and WAC.

Boise and TCU don't play community colleges, but they also didn't embarrass themselves against their 1-AA opponents. If you schedule a 1-AA team (and most 1-A teams do), you better beat them by double figures, especially if you want to be called great.

If Texas and Alabama/Florida were to Iose this week and then win out the rest of the way, I bet they'd be selected to play each other in the title game (or play USC if they win out) instead of an undefeated Iowa team. But I have a solution that would settle things for everyone -- a playoff!

Lionsfan73
All Star

Post by Lionsfan73 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:12 am

You're jealous about Tebow. That's cute.
Not jealous at all. Just sick of all the hype. Never said he wasnt good, i just said he's overrated and im not alone in that thinking.

The Big 11 doesn't get a lot of respect nationally, but you're right -- Iowa is considered a step below the class of Ohio State or Michigan. Ohio State can't beat a team from Tebow's "greatly overrated" conference in a tough spot (someone from TCU's did). As for Michigan, never mind the massive, eternal shame of Appalachian State in '07 (the first win EVER by a team in Division I-AA over a ranked team in Division I-A, and the very first football game broadcast by the Big Ten Network -- oh the pride! :wink: ), but last year they lost (at home!!!) to a crappy Toledo team from the MAC, which is rated below the MWC and WAC.

I never said Tebows conference is "greatly overrated". Just him. Your other comments are about PAST seasons. Im talking about this one. What happened in past years has ZERO relevance to this year. My point is Iowa is 8-0. If Michigan or Ohio State or Penn State were 8-0 right now we wouldnt be having this conversation. And i think thats silly.
Boise and TCU don't play community colleges, but they also didn't embarrass themselves against their 1-AA opponents. If you schedule a 1-AA team (and most 1-A teams do), you better beat them by double figures, especially if you want to be called great.
A win is a win is a win.
If Texas and Alabama/Florida were to Iose this week and then win out the rest of the way, I bet they'd be selected to play each other in the title game (or play USC if they win out) instead of an undefeated Iowa team. But I have a solution that would settle things for everyone -- a playoff!
I guess a playoff is one thing we can agree on. I think they should eliminate these out of conference meaningless games (with maybe the first game of the year an exhibition game against a non conference rivalry) and conference winners (and maybe second place teams) should make the playoffs and then go from there.