College Ball 09

Discuss the NFL, NFL in Toronto and NCAA Football

Moderator: Referees

argolio
Hall of Famer

Re: College Ball 09

Post by argolio » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:29 pm

Lionsfan73 wrote:I never said Tebows conference is "greatly overrated". Just him. Your other comments are about PAST seasons. Im talking about this one. What happened in past years has ZERO relevance to this year. My point is Iowa is 8-0. If Michigan or Ohio State or Penn State were 8-0 right now we wouldnt be having this conversation. And i think thats silly.
When voting is a part of who goes where, a voter's impression of relative team and/or conference strengths and weaknesses is always relevant, and recent history is a part of that. That's inescapable until the time comes when the only thing that matters is what happens on the field (if that time ever comes).
My name is Argolio, and I approved this post.

Mark
Starter
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Post by Mark » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:58 pm

The SEC is in a fine little mess with the officials and the fiasco that has ensued from a crew being suspended to Urban Myers being tagged with a 30K fine for comments.
Anyway..we know Florida still is on top, and we will find out Saturday whom, LSU or Alabama will see them in Atlanta in December which is the biggest game of the day that hasn't ahd much love. :pass:

If I were a betting man, which I'm not I think Iowa may be in for a surprise this weekend :cowboy:
Sourthern Comfort Carry On..
Sweet The Sweet Home Alabama, Roll Tide Roll..

Rids
Superstar

Post by Rids » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:54 pm

Your thoughts on Iowa proved true. Love college football with all the surprises!
http://www.JessicaRidley.com << My country singing wife

Lionsfan73
All Star

Post by Lionsfan73 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:38 am

Rids wrote:Your thoughts on Iowa proved true. Love college football with all the surprises!
That was downright ugly on Saturday. Uglier than usual. If Stanzi hadnt gotten injured the outcome would have been quite different im sure. Just proves what a valuable asset Stanzi has been despite the naysayers who dont like him. All we can hope for is the Big Ten Championship and a trip to the Rose Bowl but there is zero chance of beating Ohio State or even Minnesota without Stanzi. Ferentz said they think he could be out several weeks so it looks like we are Capitol One or Outback Bowl bound. The wife and i decided that due to the ridiculous cost of attending the Grey Cup this year, we are going to whichever bowl the Hawkeyes end up in. Even if they make it to the Rose Bowl it will still be much much cheaper to attend than the ripoff in Calgary this year. Yippeee.

Spellchecker
All Star
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions

Post by Spellchecker » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:00 pm

Lionsfan73 wrote: The wife and i decided that due to the ridiculous cost of attending the Grey Cup this year, we are going to whichever bowl the Hawkeyes end up in. Even if they make it to the Rose Bowl it will still be much much cheaper to attend than the ripoff in Calgary this year. Yippeee.
Why? Is the Grey Cup that expensive this year? My brother and sister-in-law are going and I know they don't have a lot of discretionary cash.

Going to the Rose Bowl is a bucket list dream of mine but I've always assumed it would be really expensive and a very difficult ticket to get. How much does it cost?
My message has been posted successfully.

Mark
Starter
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Post by Mark » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:49 pm

I didn't see that coming..the Iowa loss really hate when player goes down like that, on any team
LSU lost Scott and Jefferson Saturday
Bama lost Hightower early this year ..

The best way to settle non conferance issues would be the plus one
where say an Iowa would play the #1 in semi final and the #2 play the #3

Florida shouldn't lose the rest of the way . Fl State might get em I doubt it

Alabama has Miss State and Auburn left as potential hic-ups

Texas has one they need to be careful thats A & M
Sourthern Comfort Carry On..
Sweet The Sweet Home Alabama, Roll Tide Roll..

Lionsfan73
All Star

Post by Lionsfan73 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:26 pm

Spellchecker wrote:
Lionsfan73 wrote: The wife and i decided that due to the ridiculous cost of attending the Grey Cup this year, we are going to whichever bowl the Hawkeyes end up in. Even if they make it to the Rose Bowl it will still be much much cheaper to attend than the ripoff in Calgary this year. Yippeee.
Why? Is the Grey Cup that expensive this year? My brother and sister-in-law are going and I know they don't have a lot of discretionary cash.

Going to the Rose Bowl is a bucket list dream of mine but I've always assumed it would be really expensive and a very difficult ticket to get. How much does it cost?
Plane tickets alone to Calgary would be about $700 each = $1400
Hotel room about $150-200/night x 4 nights = $600 minimum
Nosebleed Temporary Endzone Seats $275 each = $550
Plus food and copious amounts of $7 beer at the events

So you are talking a conservative estimate of about $3000 for 4 days. Too rich for my blood. I love the Grey Cup and have gone 12 times but we couldnt justify it this year. We can spend a week in Cancun for Half that. Plus the horribly overpriced tickets to the game this year really turned us off. We are definately going to Edmonton next year though.

As far as the Rose Bowl goes, I can fly to LA from here for about $200 give or take $100 bucks. A hotel in LA will be around $120/night. If Iowa made it there is a block of tickets reserved for Iowa fans for under $200/ticket. Plus beer is cheaper and you can tailgate before the game. I personally dont think Iowa has a chance at the Rose Bowl now that the starting QB is out so that means it will be the Capitol One or Outback bowl in Tampa or Orlando. If so my trip will be even cheaper.

Rids
Superstar

Post by Rids » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:40 pm

Alright next year in Edmonton you bring up some Hawkeye gear and I'll trade you some Lions gear. Sound like a deal?

Lionsfan73
All Star

Post by Lionsfan73 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:35 am

Rids wrote:Alright next year in Edmonton you bring up some Hawkeye gear and I'll trade you some Lions gear. Sound like a deal?
Sounds like a great deal. Hawkeye gear can be found anywhere and everywhere around here.

FYI, planning on going to see them play Minnesota next week. Tickets just became alot more available after last week. Hope this balmy weather holds up. It was 24C this past Sunday.

Spellchecker
All Star

Post by Spellchecker » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:49 pm

Lionsfan73 wrote:As far as the Rose Bowl goes, I can fly to LA from here for about $200 give or take $100 bucks. A hotel in LA will be around $120/night. If Iowa made it there is a block of tickets reserved for Iowa fans for under $200/ticket. Plus beer is cheaper and you can tailgate before the game. I personally dont think Iowa has a chance at the Rose Bowl now that the starting QB is out so that means it will be the Capitol One or Outback bowl in Tampa or Orlando. If so my trip will be even cheaper.
Yeah, it's too bad about Stanzi. I was really kinda hoping Iowa would be able to be a fresh face at the Rose Bowl - still might, but a longer shot now, as you say.

Also, you're right about cost of flights. We usually holiday in the US cuz of cheap plentiful flights (out of Seattle in our case). We were just down in Kansas City (& St. Louis) - met a bunch of nice people from Des Moines BTW. Right now Virgin Atlantic has a sale on. Seattle - SFO $45 each way or to LAX $65 each way. Cheaper than the bus. Never see that here.

Rids
Superstar

Post by Rids » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:55 pm

Spellchecker wrote:Also, you're right about cost of flights. We usually holiday in the US cuz of cheap plentiful flights (out of Seattle in our case). We were just down in Kansas City (& St. Louis) - met a bunch of nice people from Des Moines BTW. Right now Virgin Atlantic has a sale on. Seattle - SFO $45 each way or to LAX $65 each way. Cheaper than the bus. Never see that here.
Wow those are great prices! Needed to get to LA (had to postpone the trip which was ok) and it was just crazy flying out of Calgary. Wonder when they'll build a nice big shiny airport across the border from us. I'd drive the 3 hours to make it work!

Lionsfan73
All Star

Post by Lionsfan73 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:01 am

Rids wrote:
Spellchecker wrote:Also, you're right about cost of flights. We usually holiday in the US cuz of cheap plentiful flights (out of Seattle in our case). We were just down in Kansas City (& St. Louis) - met a bunch of nice people from Des Moines BTW. Right now Virgin Atlantic has a sale on. Seattle - SFO $45 each way or to LAX $65 each way. Cheaper than the bus. Never see that here.
Wow those are great prices! Needed to get to LA (had to postpone the trip which was ok) and it was just crazy flying out of Calgary. Wonder when they'll build a nice big shiny airport across the border from us. I'd drive the 3 hours to make it work!
The Wife and I flew to LA from DSM in Sept for $60 return total!!! Surfing the net during a one day seat sale last spring paid off.

Tough loss to an exciting game Saturday. Vandenburg shocked the hell out of everyone. Still think Ferentz made a bad call to run the clock out with 50 seconds left and go for OT. Should have tried to get in FG range. Oh well hopefully we can beat Minnesota next weekend and still have a chance for a sensible BCS Bowl game. People are predicting Fiesta or Orange Bowl if all goes well. I hope they make it to the Fiesta Bowl so i can return to my old stompin grounds in Phoenix but id be happy with a trip to Miami.

argolio
Hall of Famer

Post by argolio » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:08 pm

A win should see Iowa getting a BCS spot but you never know, and Minnesota is not a gimme.

Here are the candidates:

(6 automatic qualifiers)
ACC champ - should be Georgia Tech
Big 12 champ - should be Texas
Big East champ - Cincinnati or Pitt
Big 10 champ - Ohio State
Pac 10 champ - up for grabs
SEC champ - Alabama or Florida

(candidates for the 4 at-large spots)
Georgia Tech (if they win out but lose the ACC title game)
Texas (guaranteed if they lose the Big 12 title game)
Cincinnati (if they lose to Pitt)
Iowa/Penn State/Wisconsin (only one can go but there's a slim chance none will go)
TCU (guaranteed if they go undefeated)
Florida/Alabama (almost guaranteed)
Boise State (very likely if they go undefeated)

If it all plays to form, I see Alabama/Florida, TCU, Boise State, and one of the Big Ten teams going.
My name is Argolio, and I approved this post.

Spellchecker
All Star

Post by Spellchecker » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:50 pm

Lionsfan73 wrote:
Tough loss to an exciting game Saturday. Vandenburg shocked the hell out of everyone. Still think Ferentz made a bad call to run the clock out with 50 seconds left and go for OT. Should have tried to get in FG range. Oh well hopefully we can beat Minnesota next weekend and still have a chance for a sensible BCS Bowl game. People are predicting Fiesta or Orange Bowl if all goes well. I hope they make it to the Fiesta Bowl so i can return to my old stompin grounds in Phoenix but id be happy with a trip to Miami.
Yeah that was bad. Ferentz had a shot at a Rose Bowl berth and he let the clock run down to take his chances in OT against Ohio State in the Shoe. Not a good decision. Luckily for him it was quickly overshadowed by the Belichick gaffe (if you see it that way) the next day. That`s all that sports talk radio would talk about after that.

Lionsfan73
All Star

Post by Lionsfan73 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:51 am

argolio wrote:A win should see Iowa getting a BCS spot but you never know, and Minnesota is not a gimme.

Iowa/Penn State/Wisconsin (only one can go but there's a slim chance none will go)
I agree that a win against Minnesota is far from a gimme especially with a freshman QB. However i cant see how Wisconson or Penn State can even be considered for an at large BCS berth if they finish with the same record as Iowa. Iowa defeated both of those teams. Just like how if Ohio State and Iowa finish with the same record Ohio State should win the Big Ten championship because they beat the Hawkeyes. So if Penn State or Wisconson deserves a BCS berth then Iowa would deserve consideration for the Big Ten Championship.