College Ball 09

Discuss the NFL, NFL in Toronto and NCAA Football

Moderator: Referees

argolio
Hall of Famer

Re: College Ball 09

Post by argolio » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:28 pm

Lionsfan73 wrote:I agree that a win against Minnesota is far from a gimme especially with a freshman QB. However i cant see how Wisconson or Penn State can even be considered for an at large BCS berth if they finish with the same record as Iowa. Iowa defeated both of those teams. Just like how if Ohio State and Iowa finish with the same record Ohio State should win the Big Ten championship because they beat the Hawkeyes. So if Penn State or Wisconson deserves a BCS berth then Iowa would deserve consideration for the Big Ten Championship.
You're mixing up automatic with at-large teams. The automatic selections are not up for debate -- they're just the six BCS conference champions, and each conference has their own rules to determine ties. The BCS has nothing to do with that.

I think Iowa gets in with a win, but a factor in at-large selections is financial, and Penn State historically brings ratings and their fans travel to bowls in droves. It's all in the hands of the BCS suits.

Another team being mentioned as an at-large possibility is Oklahoma State.
My name is Argolio, and I approved this post.

Lionsfan73
All Star

Post by Lionsfan73 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:49 am

argolio wrote:You're mixing up automatic with at-large teams. The automatic selections are not up for debate -- they're just the six BCS conference champions, and each conference has their own rules to determine ties. The BCS has nothing to do with that.

I think Iowa gets in with a win, but a factor in at-large selections is financial, and Penn State historically brings ratings and their fans travel to bowls in droves. It's all in the hands of the BCS suits.

Another team being mentioned as an at-large possibility is Oklahoma State.
Very true. I never looked at it that way. Money is everything and Penn State would bring in better ratings. Hope it doesnt come to that and i end up travelling to Phoenix at the end of the year.

Rids
Superstar

Post by Rids » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:54 am

Lionsfan > I think I saw you on TV. Wearing Black and Gold and cheering when the Hawkeyes scored... :beauty:
http://www.JessicaRidley.com << My country singing wife

Lionsfan73
All Star

Post by Lionsfan73 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:22 am

Rids wrote:Lionsfan > I think I saw you on TV. Wearing Black and Gold and cheering when the Hawkeyes scored... :beauty:
Well i was wearing black and gold and i did cheer when the Hawks scored but unfortunately wasnt at the game. A work related issue kept me from going to Iowa City so i had to watch it at home. :( :( :(

At least the Hawks won and have a chance at a real bowl game. Still crossing my fingers for a trip to Phoenix in January. On a related note im kinda bummed that the Fiesta Bowl isnt in Sun Devil Stadium anymore. I think it takes away from the whole Fiesta Bowl New Years Eve Block Party in Tempe. The Festivities are in Tempe but then the game is an hour away in Glendale (aka the middle of the desert).

Mark
Starter
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Post by Mark » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:53 am

Not sure how many watched that Bama/Auburn game yesterday, :0 ..Bama never led until there were 90 seconds left to play.. :D

Next up Atlanta for the SEC Championship game :pass:
Sourthern Comfort Carry On..
Sweet The Sweet Home Alabama, Roll Tide Roll..

Mark
Starter

Post by Mark » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:39 pm

Semi Final for the National Championship being played Saturday in Atlanta #1 vs #2
Bama Gators
Good luck to Texas or who ever meets one of these teams in Jan
Should one of the teams be in a vile mood at the Surgar Bowl good luck to that team as well

Rids
Superstar

Post by Rids » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:12 pm

Unless the Sugar Bowl team ends up looking like the Georgia team did. That was ugly!

Mark
Starter

Post by Mark » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:35 pm

The Georgia Route of Hawaii, or the Uhtah route of Alabama ..no I wouldn't want to see that

The Civil War last night was good.. Ohio and Oregon in the Rose
Ole conservative Jim better open up a little..

Florida is a 5 1/2 point fav over Alabama right now
I'm not sure what way to go on this one.. a turn over and or special teams play this could go 7 or higher 20 wins the game I think..or one team just stomps the other..Florida has had a distraction with the supension of Dunlap..but he's a primarly a pass down lineman..good with the run...that I believe gives Bama's passing game a little more room to operate. ( I am a Bama Homer ) Both teams are good Florida is fast plus the T factor Alabama is Big and fast..and finishes games in the 4th quarter...They beat you down and up and sideways

A couple .. good games Saturday...can't wait :beer: :D :pass: :yahoo:

Rids
Superstar

Post by Rids » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:09 pm

Tay Cody vs Tim Tebow? Really looking forward to it!

Tonight's MAC Conference Championship is going to be a good one too. Currently 10-7 for CMU.

argolio
Hall of Famer

Post by argolio » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:46 pm

I think it's a joke to match TCU and Boise in the same game. Besides the fact they played each other in a bowl last year, what most people want is to see these two non-BCS teams matched against teams from BCS conferences. What a huge cop-out.
My name is Argolio, and I approved this post.

Mark
Starter

Post by Mark » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:34 pm

I agree the TSU Boise game is one they can play in the regular season..the House passed a bill to look into a college football playoff system..like they don't have more pressing issues like the economy, the war, the health care bill ..

Be as it may the Bowl games are set...The SEC should fair well LSU/Penn State ..Penn State
Auburn and North Western..not sure

Alabama/Texas..Alabama..Texas has no running game

Can't wait for the games to begin...

Spellchecker
All Star
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions

Post by Spellchecker » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:31 pm

argolio wrote:I think it's a joke to match TCU and Boise in the same game. Besides the fact they played each other in a bowl last year, what most people want is to see these two non-BCS teams matched against teams from BCS conferences. What a huge cop-out.

Yes! the Poinsettia Bowl rematch! You're right. They shuffled these teams off into their own little non-BCS conference ghetto so they wouldn't run the risk of upstaging some BCS conference team....but leaving the appearance that they've been treated justly by putting them into a BCS bowl.
My message has been posted successfully.

Rids
Superstar

Post by Rids » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:59 pm

Could be a nightmare situation though for the BCS if the Fiesta Bowl is a better game than the National Championship. Also if Florida plays they way they did on Saturday in the Sugar Bowl and Cinci plays the way they did we'll end up with 3 undefeated schools standing there waiting for a crown. Could end up with a BCS Champ and an Association Press Champ this year.

Lionsfan73
All Star

Post by Lionsfan73 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:28 am

Rids wrote:Could be a nightmare situation though for the BCS if the Fiesta Bowl is a better game than the National Championship. Also if Florida plays they way they did on Saturday in the Sugar Bowl and Cinci plays the way they did we'll end up with 3 undefeated schools standing there waiting for a crown. Could end up with a BCS Champ and an Association Press Champ this year.
Pretty bummed about the Fiesta Bowl selection here myself. Everyone here was thinking Iowa/Boise St and then they go and pull this crap and put TCU in it. So now Iowa is off to the Orange Bowl instead. :thdn: :thdn: Was looking forward to a trip back to Phoenix, had hotel rooms booked and everything. Now i get to stay home and watch it on TV instead. The group i was going with doesnt want to go to Miami. Nor do i really. We're going to Cabo in Feb instead.

Yeah, 2 undefeated teams from glorified Division 2 conferences in a BCS game. Yippeee.

FYI the Pointsettia Bowl had 38,000 show up to watch it.

Spellchecker
All Star
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions

Post by Spellchecker » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:34 am

Lionsfan73 wrote:
Rids wrote:FYI the Pointsettia Bowl had 38,000 show up to watch it.
That's the problem with that game. They're trying to sell tickets to this game when there is a more high profile bowl -The Holiday Bowl - scheduled for the same venue only a week later. And it's not like San Diego is some sort of college football hotbed in the first place. Of course, this is part of what I think is the larger problem with the bowls. They largely abandon the college facilities/atmosphere for antiseptic pro/municipal stadia.
My message has been posted successfully.