The Two Things I Can't Stand About the NCAA

Discuss the NFL, NFL in Toronto and NCAA Football

Moderator: Referees

Rids
Superstar

The Two Things I Can't Stand About the NCAA

Post by Rids » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:02 pm

I'm a football nut. I love the NCAA for a lot of reasons but have found two items that I really can't stand.

#1 The penalty flag for the celebration in the endzone. If it's not taunting or delaying the game let the boys be happy especially late in the 4th quarter when they score a game changing TD. Last yet it took a win away from Washington, today it effected the Notre Dame-Michigan game (although if Notre Dame just played a little more defense it wouldn't have mattered as much). Allow them to jump up and down and smack the poor guy that got the ball across the goal line!!

#2 The early season polls. They should have the pre-season poll and then nothing until week 2 is over (but I know they won't because media attention is too valuable). Florida is by far the best team before the games started but since then they have played Charleston Southern and Troy. Stat padding games! Now if it actually hurt them in the polls they might think twice and at least schedule a Nevada or UTEP or Duke or Buffalo during those pre-SEC conference games. Even when ranked teams lose (I'm looking at you Oklahoma, Georgia) they still don't fall out of the top 25 when they obviously aren't one of the top 25 teams going right now.
http://www.JessicaRidley.com << My country singing wife

argolio
Hall of Famer

Re: The Two Things I Can't Stand About the NCAA

Post by argolio » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:14 am

Come on man, Oklahoma beat Idaho State. Idaho State!! They should get some first-place votes for that glorious win. :wink:

Agree about #1, and you have to live with #2 without a legitimate 16 team 1-A playoff (which will never happen IMO).
My name is Argolio, and I approved this post.

Spellchecker
All Star
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions

Post by Spellchecker » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:55 pm

The celebration thing is way too strict, absolutely. I was at the BYU/Washington game last season when Locker got the celebration flag. Grossly, grossly unfair. Celebrations are not always displays of poor sportsmanship.

The early season polls are rather silly, but they are meant to represent an assessment of a program's returning players and how effectively the program recruited in the offseason.

Anyway, some great games this past w/e, including "my" CMU Chips thrilling victory over Sparty. That ND/Michigan game was an instant classic too. Then there was Wisconsin/Fresno State going into OT and Oregon/Purdue almost going into OT and Houston's stunner over OK State and Georgia/SC, USC/Ohio State, UCLA/Tennessee.
My message has been posted successfully.

Rids
Superstar

Post by Rids » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:54 pm

Good weekend of action. I wish the early polls would hurt the schools that schedule the early cupcakes like they have started to do with NCAA basketball. I mean I don't have a problem with a 1A school playing a 1AA school but spread it out! Would've rather watched Florida take on Richmond as the two defending champions squaring off.

Either way the scale for me tips to about 100 positive things to 2 negative things.

Lionsfan73
All Star

Post by Lionsfan73 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:39 am

Rids wrote:Good weekend of action. I wish the early polls would hurt the schools that schedule the early cupcakes like they have started to do with NCAA basketball. I mean I don't have a problem with a 1A school playing a 1AA school but spread it out! Would've rather watched Florida take on Richmond as the two defending champions squaring off.

Either way the scale for me tips to about 100 positive things to 2 negative things.
One of the things that bothers me the most is they (Big 10 teams in particular) waste the first 3 or 4 games playing teams outside their conference when they dont even play every team in their conference. They should set aside the first game of the year for a non conference rivalry but the rest should be in conference games. Iowas first 3 games and 4 of the first 5 games are against non conference teams yet they dont play Illinois or Purdue this year. I get the whole Iowa vs ISU thing but Arkansas State??? Makes no sense to me.

argolio
Hall of Famer

Post by argolio » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:02 pm

Big 10 needs an twelfth team. Looking back on it, expanding by only one team when Joe Paterno's Ego.....I mean Penn St. joined was a mistake.
My name is Argolio, and I approved this post.

westernfan
Playground Scrub
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Post by westernfan » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:09 pm

For me the NCAA is a semi pro league. Cmon guys we know they are not serious "student" athletes. Very few of the NCAA players are actually serious students who could actually get into and stay in a Canadian university. Get rid of the hypocrisy and pay the players openly. Admit that they are pros and pay them like it. The NCAA is minor league football open and shut. Just like the AHL is to the NHL.

The CIS has it all over the NCAA. When I watch a CIS game I know I am watching actual students, who attend legitimate classes and graduate with legitimate degrees. The NCAA is a crock.

Craig

Rids
Superstar

Post by Rids » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:18 pm

Well now we know what you can't stand about the NCAA but I would counter that they are a far cry from the AHL comparison. I can handle a Major Junior comparison. However they are getting "paid" $35,000 per year to attend school and play a sport.

Sure there have been the public stories about schools passing players for the sake of football but there are also the stories of guys like Matt Leinhart graduating his 4 year program in 3 years or Alex Smith not only graduating with his bachelor's but also completing his masters during his 4 years. There will always be your Ohio State's and Miami's that put the sport before the player and I will always keep that in account but on the other hand you have your schools like Stanford, Vanderbilt, Duke, Boston College, and Notre Dame that not only have graduating rates that are equal or better than CIS schools but have extremely high entrance standards. Higher than many CIS schools that aren't named Queen's, Ryerson (no football), Carlton (no football) or McGill.

The only thing I ask of those that present this argument is that it really only falls legitimately on a low percentage of what the NCAA is. Be specific and I won't even raise an argument on it. Be general and single stroke covers all and I will make sure that we get back to the specifics. Of the 120 NCAA 1A schools and 120 NCAA 1AA schools they are graduating 85% of their athletes. Of the 52 CIS schools they are graduating roughly 88% of their athletes. The NCAA schools have to make up for the poor records of the heavy scholarship schools when it comes to graduation, the one and done players in sports like basketball, juniors that declare for the NFL draft, baseball players that leave to join their MLB teams, Olympic track and field athletes that leave for the pro circuits or the Olympics themselves and also remember that NCAA schools can have football rosters that are more than double the size of the CIS counterparts.

iso_55
Legend

Post by iso_55 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:58 pm

westernfan wrote:For me the NCAA is a semi pro league. Cmon guys we know they are not serious "student" athletes. Very few of the NCAA players are actually serious students who could actually get into and stay in a Canadian university. Get rid of the hypocrisy and pay the players openly. Admit that they are pros and pay them like it. The NCAA is minor league football open and shut. Just like the AHL is to the NHL.

The CIS has it all over the NCAA. When I watch a CIS game I know I am watching actual students, who attend legitimate classes and graduate with legitimate degrees. The NCAA is a crock.

Craig
You have got to be kidding? Why is it Canadians have this snobbish attitude that somehow Canadian universities have it all over American ones??? Are you somehow saying that USC or UCLA are inferior to the University of Manitoba? Or that Rutgers is inferior to the U of T? Like America, there are good Canadian universities & ones not as good...
I've got soul but I'm not a soldier.

Mark
Starter
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Post by Mark » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:42 pm

I agree with the penalties for celebrations I may have posted this before but the SEC supeneded a crew for calls in two game that mattered for the teams Georgia/LSU and Florida/Arkanasas LSU won on a bad call as did Florida

As for the graduation rates at NCAA schools you need to look them up
I know there are players who couldn't pass grade 1 but that is a small percentage

35-40K a year for a 20 Million payday is small
Sourthern Comfort Carry On..
Sweet The Sweet Home Alabama, Roll Tide Roll..