New NCAA Programs

Discuss the NFL, NFL in Toronto and NCAA Football

Moderator: Referees

Rids
Superstar

New NCAA Programs

Post by Rids » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:55 pm

Two new programs to step into NCAA IAA next year. Georgia State will join the conference that Northeastern and Hofstra have left. Lamar will join the Southland.
http://www.JessicaRidley.com << My country singing wife

Spellchecker
All Star
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions

Re: New NCAA Programs

Post by Spellchecker » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:25 pm

UNC Charlotte will join Div 1 AA in '13 and hopes to move to Div 1 A within 5 - 10 years after that.

http://marcushesse.com/?p=82
My message has been posted successfully.

Spellchecker
All Star

Post by Spellchecker » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:24 pm

The University of South Alabama played its inaugural season in 2009 - but it was a restricted 7 game schedule against small school opponents - winning handily in almost all cases. It will tentatively play a full schedule against 4 year schools in 2010 as a member of the Sun Belt Conference.

Rids
Superstar

Post by Rids » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:50 pm

South Alabama has potentially the next Canadian QB to play in the CFL. Myles Gibson got some field time as a freshman and as he grows with the program could come out a very good option for a CFL club.

Mark
Starter
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Post by Mark » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:08 am

South Alabama had a remarkable first year, Joey Jones is a good coach I never had the chance to get over to game this year, there schedule confilcted with the big boys in the SEC..My wife goes to USA ( South Alabama ) there goal is to be a D-1 school eventually...long way off...I think they have Miss State and Tenn on there schedule in next year or so..which is good..would even be better if they could get Bama or Auburn to play but I'm not holding my breath..the Ladd is exactly a NCAA stadium still nice good place to watch a ball game..
And yes the QB is a Canadian and looks good..from what I've heard and is from some place around or near Montreal if I'm not mistaken
Sourthern Comfort Carry On..
Sweet The Sweet Home Alabama, Roll Tide Roll..

Spellchecker
All Star

Post by Spellchecker » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:18 pm

Mark, I will be staying at the Hampton Inn in downtown Mobile on Jan 5 & 6. Can you suggest a sports bar downtown where I could go watch the Orange Bowl game on the 5th? I see there is a place called Heroes. Any good? Thanks.

Mark
Starter

Post by Mark » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:33 pm

Never been to Hero's, I don't venture downtown much anymore Dauphin St is good lots of bars..the Causeway is good too..couple nice bars out there
Depending on where your staying, I might try Wings on Airport, its right off the Inter State west of I-65
Its nice Buffalo Wild Wings again on Airport Blvd up toward the Airport..( I live here and always have to turn around to go back :smackhead: )..Bimmy Bobs in Fairhope is good to
I'm off that week if want contact me and I can point you in the right direction
My favorite sports bar is Bo Jangles on Airport and Azealea

argolio
Hall of Famer

Post by argolio » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:43 pm

Mark wrote:South Alabama had a remarkable first year, Joey Jones is a good coach
Is that the Joey Jones who was a receiver at Alabama in the 80's when Walter Lewis was the QB?

If and when Charlotte and South Alabama both make it to 1-A, you all know what that means: a 35th bowl game!!! :0
My name is Argolio, and I approved this post.

Mark
Starter

Post by Mark » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:30 pm

Yep the very one

Rids
Superstar

Post by Rids » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:50 pm

argolio wrote:
Mark wrote:South Alabama had a remarkable first year, Joey Jones is a good coach
Is that the Joey Jones who was a receiver at Alabama in the 80's when Walter Lewis was the QB?

If and when Charlotte and South Alabama both make it to 1-A, you all know what that means: a 35th bowl game!!! :0

It might not lead to a 35th Bowl. Even if both make it to Div IA there will only be 120 schools with the other schools that have dropped out. Chance of reaching 122 but I'm not holding my breath.

argolio
Hall of Famer

Post by argolio » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:12 pm

Rids wrote:It might not lead to a 35th Bowl. Even if both make it to Div IA there will only be 120 schools with the other schools that have dropped out. Chance of reaching 122 but I'm not holding my breath.
First of all, no 1-A school has dropped out since the late 80's/early 90's, and second, Western Kentucky officially became the 120th 1-A team in 2009 so Charlotte and S. Alabama would make it 122 if they both make it.

Rids
Superstar

Post by Rids » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:47 pm

That's true. My mistake. I'll add another one to the list in Savannah State that wants to move up to Div IA as well. Could move up with South Alabama to make it 123.

In a related note the Div IAA has bumped up to 125 schools but that will go back to 124 for next year I believe barring any other news.

Rids
Superstar

Post by Rids » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:59 am

argolio wrote:If and when Charlotte and South Alabama both make it to 1-A, you all know what that means: a 35th bowl game!!! :0
Looks like they were heading to 35 Bowl games even without Charlotte and South Alabama. The 2010 Yankee Bowl to be held at new Yankee Stadium. With potential for a 36th Bowl game to be held in Dallas in 2011.

Nothing to show that all 34 current Bowls will all stay though. Could see some of the upstarts like St. Petersburg or EagleBank disappear like the Seattle Bowl did earlier this decade.

argolio
Hall of Famer

Post by argolio » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:06 pm

Rids wrote:With potential for a 36th Bowl game to be held in Dallas in 2011.
Is that a Jerry Jones venture? I know he's trying the get the Cotton Bowl included in the next BCS deal.
Nothing to show that all 34 current Bowls will all stay though.Could see some of the upstarts like St. Petersburg or EagleBank disappear like the Seattle Bowl did earlier this decade.
I'm so confused with today's idiotic bowl names that I don't know whether some older ones like the Tangerine and Bluebonnet changed names or went out of business (and I refuse to google them).

Rids
Superstar

Post by Rids » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:24 pm

The Champs Sports Bowl used to be the Tangerine Bowl.

The Bluebonnet Bowl went out of business.

Apparently this one in Dallas is a new one that is tagged right now as the Dallas Classic Bowl.