Brian Kelly bolts Cincinnati for Notre Dame

Discuss the NFL, NFL in Toronto and NCAA Football

Moderator: Referees

Dieter
Starter

Brian Kelly bolts Cincinnati for Notre Dame

Post by Dieter » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:45 pm

Just read about University of Cincinati head coach Brian Kelly leaving to take the Notre Dame job. he is leaving the team immediately and won't be coaching his players in the Sugar Bowl.

Bizarrre, why couldn't he finish his tenure after the Sugar Bowl. I can't remember a coach leaving prior to a Bowl game before

http://thesop.org/sports/2009/12/13/bri ... notre-dame

Rids
Superstar

Re: Brian Kelly bolts Cincinnati for Notre Dame

Post by Rids » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:16 pm

There were three or four coaches last year that didn't go through to their Bowl game. I was surprised though that Coach Kelly didn't stay until the Sugar Bowl. I would've thought that he would want to finish what he started. Makes the game even tougher to predict (I think it's the most doubtful game of Bowl Season. Not even a leaning to a clear cut winner and probably going to be a 50-50 pick right to January)
http://www.JessicaRidley.com << My country singing wife

argolio
Hall of Famer

Post by argolio » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:44 pm

Most of the Bearcats player`s reactions to Kelly leaving the team at this point are mostly full of anger and resentment
I know I've said it before but this has to stop. No coach should be allowed to change jobs until his team's season is over. A player has to sit out a year if he wants to transfer, so why allow a coach who is supposed to be an ethical and moral example to bolt a team within the season?

If the NCAA had any integrity, it would clamp down on this, but considering how the NCAA rubber stamps the corruption that is the BCS, I'm not holding my breath.
My name is Argolio, and I approved this post.

Spellchecker
All Star
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions

Post by Spellchecker » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:27 pm

I say Danny Barrett to Cincy now that Turner Gill has gone to Kansas. He's an ex Bearcat.
My message has been posted successfully.

Rids
Superstar

Post by Rids » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:32 pm

Interesting thought. I was wondering if Danny would move up the totem pole there at Buffalo. I think he has some interests in Toronto and staying in Buffalo would keep that going.
http://www.JessicaRidley.com << My country singing wife

primetime1
All Star

Post by primetime1 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:00 am

Even though Danny Barrett has been named as interim head coach at UB now that Turner Gill has left for Kansas, I have a feeling that he may not get the job. UB might want someone with a bigger profile to keep things going there. I also think that jumping from a mid-level MAC school to a head job at a legitimate BCS contender may be too much for both Barrett and Cincinnati. I can see the Bearcats either staying in-house with one of their assistants, depending upon which ones Kelly takes with him to Notre Dame or going for a young, offensive minded coach, who is either a top assistant or a head coach at a lower level program.

Spellchecker
All Star

Post by Spellchecker » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:32 am

Or might Gill offer him a job at Kansas?

exit3222
Prospect

Post by exit3222 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:17 pm

If Cincinnati were in the only bowl game that mattered (the BCS Championship), Kelly wouldn't have left.

What point is there for him to stay for the Bearcats to play an exhibition game in New Orleans? He has recruiting to do in South Bend.

Spellchecker
All Star

Post by Spellchecker » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:47 am

The ripple effect: Butch Jones (Central Michigan) now follows Kelly (for the 2nd time) to take over Cincy. Cincy OC Jeff Quinn takes over Buffalo. Who goes to CMU?