ok now

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything you'd talk about at the Pub including Smack or Trash Talk.
This Room is named in memorial For Garry Terpstra. A Great CFL Fan and Friend RIP GCG

Moderator: Referees

FootbalYouBet
Hall of Famer

ok now

Post by FootbalYouBet » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:34 pm

who wants to get into a heated arguement about something?
Don't confuse me with facts

Ron
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Re: ok now

Post by Ron » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:19 pm

It's wrong to promote wagering on football. You should be ashamed. :wink:
Contrary to popular belief, the most dangerous animal is not the lion or tiger or even the elephant. The most dangerous animal is a shark riding on an elephant, just trampling and eating everything they see.

FootbalYouBet
Hall of Famer

Post by FootbalYouBet » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:55 pm

Ron wrote:It's wrong to promote wagering on football. You should be ashamed. :wink:
you're the one who should be ashamed for not knowing that sinatra had the kennedy brothers killed :wink:
Last edited by FootbalYouBet on Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

wildthing1971
Hall of Famer
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Post by wildthing1971 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:08 am

Santa isn't real! :tease:
when is the last time you got paid to drink coffee coffee? Ask me about healthy coffee its good stuff. www.healthyforyoucoffee.com

Hymie
All Star

Post by Hymie » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:25 am

Mary Ann was hotter than Ginger.
The CFL is alive and well
We don't need the NFL

FootbalYouBet
Hall of Famer

Post by FootbalYouBet » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:58 pm

BC > Alberta

Sir Purrcival
Superstar

Post by Sir Purrcival » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:08 pm

There you go. Kindermorgen pipeline. At issue, should a province have the right to restrict the amounts of a toxic substance going through it's backyard.

This has stirred up all kinds of hostilities between the two provinces. On one hand, you have a province, whose premier is suspect is desperate for some kind of a win to have any chance of re-election in a years time and on the other, you have a coalition government that has just the barest of majorities and who is trying to manage that and maintain some kind of popularity with the residents.

Personally, while realizing how important the petroleum industry is to Alberta, as a BC resident, I am not especially moved by the whining rhetoric of that province. I'm not one that says we must end all oil or anything like that but as a resident in the lower mainland, I have to say that increasing the amount of product coming through by a factor of 2.5 times doesn't thrill me at all. As much as I see the need for petroleum, I also believe that we need to make use of ways to make us less dependent on it. I could see a more modest increase but not this large. That extra product also means a lot of extra tankers coming and going and they aren't the cleanest of beasts in their own right. For all the wonderful promises, they won't mean much if there is some kind of disaster and this stuff gets loose in a substantial way. Safeguards or no, crap happens. I'm sure that "Fookishima" had safeguards, I'm sure that the Exxon Valdez had safeguards, so did the Deepwater Horizion and still those disasters all happened so forgive me when I say, words are cheap and mean very little. We had a hard time dealing with a bunker fuel spill in the harbour a couple of years back. Imagine if you will a burning tanker spilling tons of this stuff. It would be an unmitigated disaster. We can't shut it all down but it is a matter probabilities and the fact is that the more traffic, the more product, the greater the chance of major accident. Risks can be managed but they can't be eliminated. However, we hear Alberta saying, we won't buy your Electricity, One restaurant in Fort Mac has taken the step of banning all BC Wines in favour of "get this", wines from the US, New Zealand, France. Not even the decency to replace BC product with another Canadian product.

What is at stake it seems is a provinces right to control what goes through their backyard. Some concession is made so that product can get to foreign markets but when the product is something toxic that could kick one of our major industries in the slats (Tourism), is a province justified in saying we aren't happy or wanting of that kind of risk. I know people in Alberta think we are all just melodramatic wussies but it won't be them that has to deal with it if the worst happens and all the $$$ in the world won't repair what might be lost.

I wonder if the following scenario was proposed to Alberta, they would feel so easy. Let's say that the Feds, make a deal with the US to house all of their worst offenders. And that we are going to do this by building a series of Supermax Prisons in Alberta. You can make an economic case for it. The US will pay us well. It means local jobs, spin of economics and all the rest. Still happy about the prospect? Think you want a say in the matter? I suspect there would be a lot of issues with that. The proposers would happily throw out terms like, escape proof, highly secure, extra measures to prevent problems etc. etc. Are you ok with it in your own backyard? Are you ok with the Feds, saying you got a do it because that is what being part of Canada means? Maybe you agree to one or two but how about 5? How do you feel if you are taking the Lion's share of the risks? If you can put yourself in that position, then you maybe get a grasp of how many of us in BC feel about this expansion.
Last edited by Sir Purrcival on Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Lest We Forget!

FootbalYouBet
Hall of Famer

Post by FootbalYouBet » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:18 am

well said Sir P.

I am not so articulate.

to me, it is simply environment more important than jobs, economy, and even lives. We have a duty to keep this planet healthy and try to repair the damage we have already done for all the many generations to come. We also have a duty to care for non human life on this planet. We worked before there was oil. Economies survived and often flourished before there was oil. However, the planet was never so bad. Granted, its not just oil, but oil is the subject for now.

Sir Purrcival
Superstar

Post by Sir Purrcival » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:35 pm

I see that the Province of Alberta today has escalated this by now banning all BC Wines from their liquor stores. Although I'm not sure how that works for private enterprises. I wish very much that they hadn't done that because it is not going to invite some kind of knee jerk reprisals from us. Beef for example.
Lest We Forget!

FootbalYouBet
Hall of Famer

Post by FootbalYouBet » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:44 pm

I don't suppose we can organize an effective boycott of Jasper and Banff.

Sir Purrcival
Superstar

Post by Sir Purrcival » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:46 pm

Nah, that's Fed Territory. Maybe just boycott prairie oysters. That'll show em.

Honestly think the best response right now is no response at all. Let the emotion cool, let them twist in the wind for awhile and after a piece of time, they are going to start looking more like the bad guys here rather than just an aggrieved party in a dispute. No matter what happens here however is a no win for the Libs. and in the end, I think they will side with the group where they stand to lose the most. Let's see. 2 Lib. MP's in Alberta, 14 I think in BC. That math looks pretty stark for Alberta. I don't think the Liberals are ever going to really have a breakthrough in that Province and the core of that party is than aware of it.
Lest We Forget!