Comic Books General Discussion Thread

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything you'd talk about at the Pub including Smack or Trash Talk.
This Room is named in memorial For Garry Terpstra. A Great CFL Fan and Friend RIP GCG

Moderator: Referees

Bushido
Champion

Comic Books General Discussion Thread

Post by Bushido » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:56 pm

After a few years of not collecting comics (say 14 years, plus or minus a couple) I decided to get back into that old habit. Unlike the early 90's I'm going for books that have top notch writing. Plus artwork has improved tremendously in that time, there are many talented artists these days.

Anyways, one of the titles I'm collecting is Captain America which is currently being written by Ed Brubaker (he also writes Daredevil and Immortal Iron Fist which are two other titles I'm reading). I started with issue #28 of the current Captain America series (edit: volume 5) and of course was lost beyond all belief but I could tell that it was really, really good. Late to the party I read that Marvel was releasing an over-sized hardcover omnibus of Captain America issues 1-25 as well as a few other tie-in one shot issues.

The book is a bit pricey (about $50 at Amazon) but well worth it. Paper quality is probably better than an average coffee table book (glossy paper, not thin at all) and it's full colour. The big thing is the writing. Quite honestly the best book I've read in years. With the exception of Frank Miller's Sin City books and Alan Moore's Watchmen I hadn't read anything this damn good in a long time. It's not really a "superhero" book as it is a book about intrigue and espionage.

Spoiler below, highlight to read.

Something else is that it's really obvious that unlike Superman's "death" back in '93 (?) is that Captain America's death (which takes place in the omnibus, Captain America #25) isn't for sales. It literally came out of nowhere and shocked a lot of people. Plus it's actually done for the story which makes it that much more meaningful. Even without Cap in current issues it's still tremendous stuff as people deal with a world without Captain America in a time where he's desperately needed.

Only thing that sucks is waiting 30 days for a new issue. :/
Last edited by Bushido on Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArgoDave
Legend
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts
Location: Sitting in my chair, being a swell guy loved by all...

Post by ArgoDave » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:28 pm

I heard recently that Marvel is going to have a online service, Marvel Digital I think it's called, where you can read old comic books for free using .jpgs. They're supposed to have series origins issues, real old stuff that I had a lot of when I was a kid. I'd love to be able to peruse that stuff again, Spiderman Issue #1...

Believe it or not back in the 60's artwork was pretty good too, but it did decline as comics got thinner and Ads got more space, after the 70's I think. I remember when they were 5 cents each...
Gord for Mayor of Swaggerville!

cossack
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by cossack » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:20 pm

I've been downlaoding my comics for years. It's not the same as actually flipping the pages. but it's a hell of a lot cheaper. :wink:

The Brubaker Captain America run is one of the best books I've ever read. If you're enjoying that then check out Brubaker's run on Daredevil. Even better start with Bendis's run on DD. If you want some info on how to download your comics for free PM me. :beer:
Argos Suck! Since 1869. Accept no substitutions or pale imitiations.

The one true and original. All time head to head won loss record:
Hamilton: 124 W 91 L 2T! Now you know why the Argos Suck!

cossack
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by cossack » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:21 pm

Before I forget, check out this site if you're a comics fan. Some of the funniest stuff I have seen. Check out the image galleries:

http://www.superdickery.com/

Bushido
Champion

Post by Bushido » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:25 pm

ArgoDave wrote:I heard recently that Marvel is going to have a online service, Marvel Digital I think it's called, where you can read old comic books for free using .jpgs. They're supposed to have series origins issues, real old stuff that I had a lot of when I was a kid. I'd love to be able to peruse that stuff again, Spiderman Issue #1...

Believe it or not back in the 60's artwork was pretty good too, but it did decline as comics got thinner and Ads got more space, after the 70's I think. I remember when they were 5 cents each...
5 cents? Now we know AD is as old as Cthulu. ;)

Cheapest I paid was about 50 cents, maybe 75. My earliest memory, going back to about '82-83, is of an Action Comics where Supes was fighting some weird alien being. Par for the course I guess but it was pretty cool. I also bought a few issues of The Brave and the Bold back then and they were under a buck. Same with the Star Wars comics.

Now they're about $3.75 each. Thankfully they're not printed on cheap newsprint anymore.

Bushido
Champion

Post by Bushido » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:38 pm

cossack wrote:I've been downlaoding my comics for years. It's not the same as actually flipping the pages. but it's a hell of a lot cheaper. :wink:

The Brubaker Captain America run is one of the best books I've ever read. If you're enjoying that then check out Brubaker's run on Daredevil. Even better start with Bendis's run on DD. If you want some info on how to download your comics for free PM me. :beer:
Nothing like physically holding a book/comic, though. I do download some but mostly to see if it's something I want to get. Being on dial-up I have to choose wisely but more or less it's worked out. The series I've yet to buy a hardback of (and I will soon, been waiting for it to go back into print) is The Walking Dead. It's out in trades but I want a hardcover, which reprints the first 24 issues. Keep checking Amazon I guess.

Speaking of hardcover, the Cap Omnibus is HUGE. Sucker must weigh nearly 5 pounds. It's seriously worth the money, though.

I only started at issue #100 of Daredevil so I'm way behind but I'm sure Marvel will make an omnibus of Brubaker's run. The issues I've read (well, 2 of 'em) are good and I have a general idea of what's going on.

Just got into Grant Morrison's run of Batman, ironically not collected in trades by DC. I'm in for the long haul, though.

Last night I bought (ie, won auction) a 9.8 CGC graded issue of Captain America #25 (Epting cover), signed by Ed Brubaker, for $40 on eBay. I'm rather happy. Wizarduniverse.com is selling the same thing for about $100.

Not sure how many titles you read but I'm wondering if/when I should get into the X-titles again. Supposed to be a massive upheaval in the X-Men universe around January, wondering if that'd be a good point to jump onto. Again. My pull list is already 10 titles (Captain America, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Iron Man, Batman, Detective Comics, Jonah Hex, Moon Knight, Punisher War Journal, Thor) but I'm a sucker for X-Men books.

Of course I'm reading online that the Action Comics line is getting awesome. Damnit.

Recommendations are always welcome so fire away if you've got any. Ditto anyone else reading this thread.

Big J
Hall of Famer

Post by Big J » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:26 pm

Wow comic nerd talk on a football board, who'da thunk it. I've been a huge comic nerd forever.

Jumping in to the X-titles is always tough, because the history is so dense and the characters are so numerous. They are currently in the midst of a major weekly crossover storyline, Messiah CompleX which might be as good a place as any to start. (Part 4 will be out this week, so that's not too many issues to go back and buy). Pick up the trades of Astonishing X-Men. I believe the first 12 issues are available in one giant hardcover, you won't be disappointed.

If you like Punisher, I'd recommend the Punisher series that is printed under Marvel's mature readers MAX imprint. It's Punisher the way it should be, filled with blood, guts and swearing.

Action Comics has been great of late, though the best Superman book by far right now is All-Star Superman (the first 6 issues are available as a hardcover.)

DC isn't as aggressive as Marvel at collecting things in trades as soon as stories are done, so I wouldn't expect to see those Grant Morrison Batman books collected anytime soon.

Bushido
Champion

Post by Bushido » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:46 am

Big J wrote:Wow comic nerd talk on a football board, who'da thunk it. I've been a huge comic nerd forever.

Jumping in to the X-titles is always tough, because the history is so dense and the characters are so numerous. They are currently in the midst of a major weekly crossover storyline, Messiah CompleX which might be as good a place as any to start. (Part 4 will be out this week, so that's not too many issues to go back and buy). Pick up the trades of Astonishing X-Men. I believe the first 12 issues are available in one giant hardcover, you won't be disappointed.
I'm actually going to try some trades. Been reading up on the Messiah CompleX and it sounds really cool. When I go pick up my comics this weekend (go in once a month) I'll see if the store owner has a Marvel Previews book. Makes it easier to decide what titles to jump into/try out.
If you like Punisher, I'd recommend the Punisher series that is printed under Marvel's mature readers MAX imprint. It's Punisher the way it should be, filled with blood, guts and swearing.
I definitely want to get Punisher MAX, I'm just going to get it in hardcover trades, though. Especially with rumours that Ennis might leave. Of course he probably won't but my luck I'd get the series monthly, he leaves, and the new writer sucks. Unless I get it for Xmas I'll be ordering the first volume of Punisher MAX (HC) in January.

Some people HATE what Matt Fraction is doing in Punisher WJ but I'm actually enjoying it. I like Frank dark and brooding and killing criminals but the regular Marvel universe Punisher is a blast as well. I know enough of the MAX version that he's totally different but that's cool with me. PWJ is kinda campy but I'm having FUN reading it. I also know I'll enjoy the MAX hardcovers a ton.
Action Comics has been great of late, though the best Superman book by far right now is All-Star Superman (the first 6 issues are available as a hardcover.)
I believe All-Star is a limited run (12 issues?) so I'll just wait for an omnibus or something. Or just get both volumes. If I do decide to get Action Comics, how vital is it for me to get Superman (title)? I'm getting Detective Comics just because Dini writes it as one-and-done stories (and Batman because it's Morrison) but I don't know if I should get two Superman books.

Only thing that sucks about DC right now is their Countdown crap (many, many people dislike Countdown) and I'm worried that the Supes titles will be affected a lot by it. Hopefully it won't be. It's bad enough that the last issue of Detective I got had a Countdown tie-in. Hopefully DC leaves Batman alone, but I doubt it.

Is Action Comics either beginning or ending a storyline shortly? It'd make it easier to start into. I'm getting antsy as everyone is raving over Action Comics and it's a title I decided not to put on my pull list a couple months ago just because I wasn't sure what direction DC was heading in (52, Countdown, etc). I don't hear many talking about Superman (title), though.
DC isn't as aggressive as Marvel at collecting things in trades as soon as stories are done, so I wouldn't expect to see those Grant Morrison Batman books collected anytime soon.
Yeah, they suck in this regard. I've read most of their non-Absolute editions have cheaper paper. At least with Marvel one can grab a trade, cheaply, see if they like it and either get more trades or just collect individual issues. With Captain America I'll be getting it monthly, in individual hardback trades, and in the future the inevitable Omnibus. I don't mind having multiples of this, it's fantastic.

At the moment Marvel seems to have a more focused direction (World War Hulk, Messiah CompleX, this whole Skrull thing and the aftermath of Civil War) and keeping this crossovers/storylines relegated to certain characters/teams in the Marvel Universe, not the entire Marvel U itself. DC, on the other hand, is going through a monumental storyline -- again -- that will probably affect almost all their titles (if they somehow bring Jonah Hex into this like the 1980's I'll murder someone). Quesada at least seems like he knows what he's doing while DiDio sounds like he is either screwing everything up or has plans to screw things up in the future. Hooray.

Anyhoo it's great reading from other collectors (hardcore or casual; I think currently I'm hasual, but in the early 90's I was insanely hardcore, collecting about 50 titles a month) and all your comments and recommendations are duly noted.

Big J
Hall of Famer

Post by Big J » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:12 am

I've also been enjoying the Punisher War Journal series, it's goofy, but well done...Ennis's take on the character is way different though. (Also if you like Ennis, The Boys which is published by Dynamite is awesome - and if you've never read Preacher go check that out as well).

Action just started a new storyline with the most recent issue (2 weeks ago, I believe). I believe that issue sold out at the distributor level, but your comic shop might still have it, if not a 2nd print is on the way. Action shouldn't tie in to Countdown for awhile at least, as the current story arc take place 1000 years in the future. There's no need to read Superman at all, the stories in the 2 books rarely have anything to do with one another (and Superman has been poor as of late, I've been thinking about dropping it from my pull list). They've never really said what is going to happen to All-Star Super-man after issue 12, but that's all the issues Grant Morrison has committed to writing.

DC has been annoying me as of late with the crossovers, and I've heard a lot of other fans complaining about it as well (even ones that have been hardcore DC fanboys for 20+ years). It's been 3 years straight of crossovers and Tie-ins at this point with Infinite Crisis and then 52 and then Countdown and then Final Crisis next...plus the recently rumoured weekly book that will spin out of Final crisis...it's just gotten to be a bit much.

I'm down from a high point of reading about 60 titles a month to a much more manageable 25-30.

XGamer
Superstar
Favourite Team: Montreal Alouettes

Post by XGamer » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:51 am

The whole Civil War series from Marvel was pretty good, but the follow-up of some titles are even better, like Capt.America & even Spidey going back to the black suit (not the symbiote one).

I stopped collecting 10 years ago, but sometimes buy a hardcover of a pretty good story (i.e: Red Son - Superman).

If your really into comics Bittorrent are an awesome way to catch up on old issues that you missed.
Montreal Alouettes season ticket holder since 2004 !

Back-to-Back Grey Cups ('09 & '10) and I witnessed it LIVE from the stands !

Mtl Als Fansite: http://www.goalsgo.com

Bushido
Champion

Post by Bushido » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:16 am

Ah, so that explains the "Back in Black" storyline (is that the title?) for Spidey. I was thinking of getting one of the Spidey titles but not 3 a month (like Amazing will be). Damn you Marvel!

And thanks for the head's up on Action, Big J. I'll add it to my pull list and try to find a copy of the latest issue (first or second printing, I'm not particular).

Also didn't realize how many years (3!) DC has been doing cross overs. Yikes.

Action would bring my list to 11 a month, which isn't bad. I'm not poor but just selective and I'm really trying to cap myself at a max of 15 a month, period.

cossack
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by cossack » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:29 pm

Last night I bought (ie, won auction) a 9.8 CGC graded issue of Captain America #25 (Epting cover), signed by Ed Brubaker, for $40 on eBay. I'm rather happy. Wizarduniverse.com is selling the same thing for about $100.
That's a steal. Nice job. :beauty: Hold on to that puppy. Only a matter of time until they make a Captain America movie, then the price will artificially inflate through the roof.

For some other suggestions on things I've read and really enjoyed:

Kevin Smith's Daredevil relaunch, there's a TPB available highly recommended
Benis's Alias series (no relation to the TV series, except the title) .
Jinx and Torso TPB's by Bendis. If you read Torso, you absolutlely have to get the Fortune and Glory paperback.
100 bullets. You have to start at the beginning though.
Brubakers Sleeper. Season 1 and 2 from Wildstorm
The Ultimates volume 1 and 2. It's basically the Avengers in the Ultimate universe. And Nick Fury is drawn as Samuel L. Jackson. 'Nuff said.
Ultimate Spider man by Bendis was the biggest surprise for me. Thought it sounded like the worst idea possible. It's been the best Spidey book out there since it launched.
The entire Frank Miller run on Daredevil was amazing. It raised the bar for other comic book writers. There are lots of TPBs available.
The Batman Hush storyline was pretty good, and I'm looking forward to Morrison's Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul upcoming issues.

If you've enjoyed Brubaker's Cap, then you'll enjoy any of the above.

TPBs aren't cheap. You might consider checking out your local Public Library. Toronto has a surprisingly good collection of TPBs available. :beer:

Bushido
Champion

Post by Bushido » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:31 pm

cossack wrote:
That's a steal. Nice job. :beauty: Hold on to that puppy. Only a matter of time until they make a Captain America movie, then the price will artificially inflate through the roof.

For some other suggestions on things I've read and really enjoyed:

Kevin Smith's Daredevil relaunch, there's a TPB available highly recommended
Benis's Alias series (no relation to the TV series, except the title) .
Jinx and Torso TPB's by Bendis. If you read Torso, you absolutlely have to get the Fortune and Glory paperback.
100 bullets. You have to start at the beginning though.
Brubakers Sleeper. Season 1 and 2 from Wildstorm
The Ultimates volume 1 and 2. It's basically the Avengers in the Ultimate universe. And Nick Fury is drawn as Samuel L. Jackson. 'Nuff said.
Ultimate Spider man by Bendis was the biggest surprise for me. Thought it sounded like the worst idea possible. It's been the best Spidey book out there since it launched.
The entire Frank Miller run on Daredevil was amazing. It raised the bar for other comic book writers. There are lots of TPBs available.
The Batman Hush storyline was pretty good, and I'm looking forward to Morrison's Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul upcoming issues.

If you've enjoyed Brubaker's Cap, then you'll enjoy any of the above.

TPBs aren't cheap. You might consider checking out your local Public Library. Toronto has a surprisingly good collection of TPBs available. :beer:
Man, I'm a gonna be broke. :/

I have the Daredevil omnibus on my Amazon wishlist but I probably won't get it for a few months.

Ultimate Spidey is supposed to be fantastic but I want a massive trade, not a bunch of little ones. I'll wait a while, see if it gets the Omnibus treatment.

Speaking of, I couldn't get it at the time but less than two weeks ago someone was selling a new, unopened New X-Men omnibus (entire Morrison run, 41 issues) on eBay. Last I saw it was $150. I think Alias goes for a ton of cash as well. January I'd like to order the Uncanny X-Men omnibus (vol. 1) which collects about 30 some issues from the seventies. I'm not sure if the Dark Phoenix saga is in the first volume but it'd be worth it anyway. I believe it's a second print.

My local library sucks. Seriously. LOL. I'll just have to budget myself and choose wisely.

I think my wife might pick up a few trades for me for Christmas. I have no idea what I'll get but if I get Absolute Hush I'm going to mark out like a madman. The Amazing Spider-Man omnibus would be a treat as well.

Just checked the solicits, Captain America #32 is supposed to be out this week! (dances like the Goddamn Batman)

I bought that CGC'd issue because of my love of that title. Plus it's an opportunity to get a signed Brubaker book at a decent price. If it goes up, great, but I just like having Ed's signature. Well, when it actually arrives. If he does bring Steve Rogers back I hope it's not for a year or two. I also hope Bucky takes his place in the meantime. :)

We seriously need a thread just for Cap. I could go on for pages about how beautiful D'Armata's colouring is, let alone the storyline.

Stampman
Superstar

Post by Stampman » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:12 pm

cossack wrote:Before I forget, check out this site if you're a comics fan. Some of the funniest stuff I have seen. Check out the image galleries:

http://www.superdickery.com/
That site cracks me up...

I stopped reading when the prices skyrocketed & the art got weird.
I look in at a comic shop here & there, now & then.
The local library stocks graphic novels & TPB's--and I prefer the old stuff mostly--or the new stuff that pays homage to the old stuff. It's better.
Real men don't wear green...

Big J
Hall of Famer

Post by Big J » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:31 pm

Bushido wrote: Man, I'm a gonna be broke. :/
You can't take it with you, might as well enjoy it while you can. :wink:
Ultimate Spidey is supposed to be fantastic but I want a massive trade, not a bunch of little ones. I'll wait a while, see if it gets the Omnibus treatment.
It's currently available in hardcovers that collect 12 issues at a time, I highly doubt Marvel will package it any thicker anytime in the next several years.
Speaking of, I couldn't get it at the time but less than two weeks ago someone was selling a new, unopened New X-Men omnibus (entire Morrison
run, 41 issues) on eBay. Last I saw it was $150. I think Alias goes for a ton of cash as well.
That New X-Men Omnibus is totally worth the money if you can get your hands on one...Morrison's run was the best X-stuff in the last 20 years. Alias is also a great series.