Comic Books General Discussion Thread

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything you'd talk about at the Pub including Smack or Trash Talk.
This Room is named in memorial For Garry Terpstra. A Great CFL Fan and Friend RIP GCG

Moderator: Referees

Bushido
Champion

Post by Bushido » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:12 am

Big J wrote:It's currently available in hardcovers that collect 12 issues at a time, I highly doubt Marvel will package it any thicker anytime in the next several years.
That's not bad then. It's something I'll have to consider. :)

Bushido
Champion

Post by Bushido » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:53 pm

My ten issues are in, picking them up tomorrow. Will be adding Action Comics to the list and if it doesn't start making sense in two more issues I'm dumping Moon Knight. Unless someone can explain to me WTF is going on.

"This book is great, you gotta read it! It's like a psychotic Batman!"

Me, after reading two issues: "WTF?"

Being new to a title can be difficult sometimes but I have zero clue what's happening.

ArgoDave
Legend
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts
Location: Sitting in my chair, being a swell guy loved by all...

Post by ArgoDave » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:24 pm

Bushido wrote: 5 cents? Now we know AD is as old as Cthulu. ;)
Yeah, back in the 60's. Imagine paying that for the original Silver Surfer. Or Avengers. Or Fantastic Four. I had most of them in my collections.

Like xgamer said, BitTorrent is a good way to collect comic series all in jpeg format, compressed into .zip or.rar. files. They even have a reader you can use called CDisplay that will read without having to unpack them. They are in .cbz (zip) or .cbr (rar) format.

Here is a sample of what you can get in a Torrent file, if you can download 4 Gb's of stuff: (but you don't have to pick them all, just the ones you want)

Directory: Ultimate Marvel - Complete (as of 21-11-07)

Files:
Official Handbook of the Ultimate Marvel Universe - Fantastic Four & Spider-Man 2005.cbr
The Official Handbook of the Ultimate Marvel Universe - The Ultimates & X-Men 2005.cbr

3.93 GB in 383 files. Torrent created 3.1 days ago.
Last edited by ArgoDave on Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gord for Mayor of Swaggerville!

Bushido
Champion

Post by Bushido » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:18 pm

Some of us aren't on high speed, Dave. :) But thanks for that anyway. :)

Besides, I only have about 11 gigs left on this thing! LOL

Bushido
Champion

Post by Bushido » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:17 pm

Quick thoughts/scores of some issues I read this past weekend:

Action Comics #856 and 857: first time I've read AC since 1994 and it's a bizarro story. I enjoyed it anyway (love Powell's artwork) and thought the story was well crafted. Johns seems like a terrific writer. I know Powell was doing a guest spot for 3 issues, but who is the regular artist? Anyways, loved it, it's added to my pull list. 9/10

Captain America #32: artwork, writing, yada yada yada. 9/10

Punisher War Journal #13: 7/10

Batman #670: 8/10

Iron Man #23: 8/10

Jonah Hex #25: 7/10

Thor #4: 8.5/10

Big J
Hall of Famer

Post by Big J » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:34 pm

The new regular artist on Action comics (starting with the current Legion of Superheroes arc) is Gary Frank.

Bushido
Champion

Post by Bushido » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:14 pm

Supes looks kinda freaky and thus is freaking me out. :(

Looks insanely realistic, though. I'm very impressed. Is there a reason for the ring?

Comic-y related news:

I'm sure some have heard of this by now but it's cool anyway:

http://watchmencomicmovie.com/index.php

and

http://watchmencomicmovie.com/index.php

I prefer the latter more, if only because it loads faster. I do dig the extra large Comedian button on the first link, though.

Also: I'm ordering that poster the day it goes on sale. Greatest teaser poster since the Towers of Argonath for The Lord of the Rings.

LFITQ
Champion

Post by LFITQ » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:16 pm

Is there a reason for the ring?
That would be his ring as a member of the Legion of Superheroes. The background in the pic also gives it away.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?" - Sgt Oddball

I send vbeers to asshats hoping they will mellow out

Stampman
Superstar

Post by Stampman » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:28 pm

Busido--I both welcome & fear a Watchman movie--I welcome it because there is so much potential to make the best comic based movie ever--but I fear it because in the wrong hands it could be the worst one ever.
Watchmen is one of my favorite comics stories ever, and I'd hate to see anything tarnish it.

On the other hand--in one sense it is only a comic.
Real men don't wear green...

Bushido
Champion

Post by Bushido » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:41 pm

Agreed, Stampman. While I don't think Dawn of the Dead 2004 is the greatest horror movie ever it is still a very good debut effort by Snyder. I also really enjoyed 300 (the movie) by Snyder and that was a graphic novel adaptation. Not sure how close it is to Miller's book, though.

The still photos from the sites I gave look pretty damn good.

I guess we have to cross our fingers on this one. It should be an HBO series, not a 2 hour movie. :/

While I'm wishing I also want The Walking Dead made into a series as well.

Stampman
Superstar

Post by Stampman » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:48 pm

A series would be nice.
Part of what I fear in a movie is what stuff they'll leave out.

The Hithchiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie, by necessity, had to leave out a lot of stuff--unfortunatley they left out or glossed over a lot of my favorite stuff. (Especially the philosphers-Vroomfondel & Majikthise. They were glossed over.)
Real men don't wear green...

Bushido
Champion

Post by Bushido » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:25 pm

WOO-HOO! I got Punisher MAX Vol. 1 for my birthday! I didn't realize it was oversized, that makes it extra awesome.

Now to go out and make the world sane.

Bushido
Champion

Post by Bushido » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:26 am

Got some great Christmas gifts from my wife:

Immortal Iron Fist vol. 1 HC
Batman: Year One
Batman: The Long Halloween
The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born HC
Bone complete volume

And I just ordered from Amazon: Essential Moon Knight vol's 1 and 2, Wonder Woman: Gods and Mortals, Aliens Omnibus, Criminal vol. 1, Punisher MAX vol's 2 and 3 (HC), Batman: Death in the City.

Bushido
Champion

Post by Bushido » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:21 am

Checking out Amazon.ca, in June Marvel is releasing another Daredevil Omnibus, this time it's Brian Michael Bendis' run. 848 pages, $75.99 or so pre-order price.

And yesterday I ordered the Uncanny X-Men Omnibus (Vol. 1) from Amazon. It's supposed to be really good and for $70 it better be. :/

Wish DC did their books like Marvel does. I don't feel like giving them money for hardcovers with newsprint paper.

cossack
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by cossack » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:38 am

Bushido wrote:Checking out Amazon.ca, in June Marvel is releasing another Daredevil Omnibus, this time it's Brian Michael Bendis' run. 848 pages, $75.99 or so pre-order price.

And yesterday I ordered the Uncanny X-Men Omnibus (Vol. 1) from Amazon. It's supposed to be really good and for $70 it better be. :/

Wish DC did their books like Marvel does. I don't feel like giving them money for hardcovers with newsprint paper.
DC does actually do a great job with their Vertigo imprint. My friend made in his pants when I got him Absolute Sandman for his birthday.
Why they don't do this with the mainstream DC books is puzzling.
Argos Suck! Since 1869. Accept no substitutions or pale imitiations.

The one true and original. All time head to head won loss record:
Hamilton: 124 W 91 L 2T! Now you know why the Argos Suck!