Cable giant Ted Rogers dead at 75

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything you'd talk about at the Pub including Smack or Trash Talk.
This Room is named in memorial For Garry Terpstra. A Great CFL Fan and Friend RIP GCG

Moderator: Referees

CatsEyes
Superstar

Cable giant Ted Rogers dead at 75

Post by CatsEyes » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:19 am

Wow-surprised no one has posted this yet!

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2008/12/ ... -obit.html

BTW mods I wasn't sure where this story fit-feel free to move it to a more suitable location if need be.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

ping
Hall of Famer
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Re: Cable giant Ted Rogers dead at 75

Post by ping » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:40 am

i cant say i am sad.
He let greed get the better of him!!!
He had a sad discusting life.Ripping people off and scamming all of Canada.
Its too bad, he could of done so much good. I have never heard a nice story about him, but today i will just say, i am sorry for his family!! rip teddy!
We will all miss Garry, the #1 13th man and great human being!

ArgoDave
Legend
Location: Sitting in my chair, being a swell guy loved by all...

Post by ArgoDave » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:08 am

Your turn Paul. :popcorn:

Maybe the thought of all the money he's gonna lose on the Bills was too much for him. :devil:
Gord for Mayor of Swaggerville!

Dieter
Starter

Post by Dieter » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:46 am

I know, one shouldn't speak unkindly of the dead. This man however was willing to potentially see the CFL die at the expense of his NFL toy. Who knows? watching his ego on TV, maybe he got off on the idea of killing the CFL for the rest of it because it would really have allowed him to flaunt his power

CFL or Ted Rogers? Not even close

:beer:

Spellchecker
All Star
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions

Post by Spellchecker » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:00 am

O Happy Day!

Good riddance to bad rubbish.
My message has been posted successfully.

SammyGreene
Playground Hero

Post by SammyGreene » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:21 am

Just too ironic Ralph Wilson outlives him.

Mallard
Playground Hero
Favourite Team: Saskatchewan Roughriders

Post by Mallard » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:08 am

Well, that's one threat to the CFL that's gone. How much it will help though it anyone's guess. Here's hoping this NFL in Toronto stuff is a total flop.

Hymie
All Star

Post by Hymie » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:13 am

The question now is who is going to take over Rogers and how committed they will be to this NFL nonsense. With due respect to Ted Rogers, this may not be a good thing if we end up with an ultra fanatical NFL wannabe who will try extra hard to make this happen as a way to make his mark. It is a few peoples opinion that Rogers may not have been as committed to this thing as some of his underlings. Time will tell.
The CFL is alive and well
We don't need the NFL

Ravi Ramkissoonsingh
Hall of Famer

Post by Ravi Ramkissoonsingh » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:46 am

SammyGreene wrote:Just too ironic Ralph Wilson outlives him.

It is ironic especially as Stephen Brunt just wrote a column for today's Globe and Mail about Ralph Wilson's impending death (of course, he could live another 10 to 15 years the way he is going) and what effect that will have on the Bills.
There is one thing that no Argo fan should ever forget - Rob Ford, Doug Ford, Paul Godfrey, Phil Lind and Larry Tanenbaum are all pure evil!

greycupgarry
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Location: Sect. 217 Fav. Teams: Argos, Leafs, Stamps, Flames, Patriots, Browns, Storm, Holland

Post by greycupgarry » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:51 am

some of the posts in this thread are completely disgusting. Is this what being a 13thman/CFL fan has come down to?
It's not like he was a molester or murdererer. Sheesh. Philisophical differences is one one thing, But jeez, show some respect for the grieving family and friends.

what are you all? 10 years old?

Am I posting on a mean frustrated teen site now?
if you have noticed this notice you will have noticed that this notice is not worth noticing

Bobbyp
All Star

Post by Bobbyp » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:16 am

Its supposed to be bad Karma to talk about the dead so I will refrain. Im 41 by the way and I only show people respect who earn it.
“98% of people will die sometime in their lives.”

ping
Hall of Famer

Post by ping » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:47 am

greycupgarry wrote:some of the posts in this thread are completely disgusting. Is this what being a 13thman/CFL fan has come down to?
It's not like he was a molester or murdererer. Sheesh. Philisophical differences is one one thing, But jeez, show some respect for the grieving family and friends.

Would you be upset if they announced the devil died?
I have many friends and co-workers that worked for him and i heard, yes second hand he was a liar, and a greedy money hungry man. I am sorry he has passed, and yes its sad for his grandchildren, wife and family, however this guy ran the worse company in canada , that treated there customers like hostages. Rogers co. tricks people in to paying for channels on the tv they had no idea they were paying for. His company treated me personaly terrible on so many occasions and so many others that there is a site, I hate rogers.com. He even screwed his bud Paul Godrey out of his nfl glory after so many years of hard work. Yes his wife is charitibal but his company was dispickable. In my opion he was the worse ever person in Canadas History. However, I am saddened by anyones death and Mr. Rogers is no exemption to that!
We will all miss Garry, the #1 13th man and great human being!

1argoholic
Champion

Post by 1argoholic » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:01 am

It was like Weekend At Ted's for the last few years, the guy was the walking dead. Speaking of Karma, see what happens when you try to muscle around The Toronto Argonauts. That's a ton of history your trying to stomp on. Maybe ghosts of Argonaut players past pulled the plug. :wink:
Ok I don't believe religion,heaven, hell or ghosts but I'm not sad in the least today.
The Argoholics, 'Win Or Lose, We Drink The Booze', or
in 2009- "When We Lose, We Need More Booze"

Dieter
Starter

Post by Dieter » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:05 pm

greycupgarry wrote:some of the posts in this thread are completely disgusting. Is this what being a 13thman/CFL fan has come down to?

Like I already posted. He was a man willing to kill the CFL for his own ego. I wouldn't wish the man dead, but I'n not going to pretend to be sorry he is either and no I'm not going to apologize for saying so.

People with his wealth have the opportunity leave a positive or negative legacy that most of the rest of us don't. I won't comment on any charitable contributions he may have made other than to say that large companies benefit by making them for tax reasons.

His disregard for the CFL and the thousands of people it employed and its hundreds of thousands of fans will be his legacy as much as anything. That is his doing
Last edited by Dieter on Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Hogan
Superstar

Post by Mike Hogan » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:23 pm

Wow. Some of you people are major a-holes.

The man pumped MILLIONS of dollars into various charities in and around the GTA and you're HAPPY he's DEAD?

Grow up.

If you want to bring it down to the lowest common denominator on this board, the CFL, he spent WELL over a million dollars on advertising in the league over the last five years and wanted to continue his association with the league this season.

I thought CFL fans had a little more class than some other leagues.

I was wrong.