National Anthem.

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything you'd talk about at the Pub including Smack or Trash Talk.
This Room is named in memorial For Garry Terpstra. A Great CFL Fan and Friend RIP GCG

Moderator: Referees

jaxon
Superstar
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

National Anthem.

Post by jaxon » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:07 pm

Maybe it's just me, but I have a pet peeve. I hate it when the singer at an event messes with the national anthem.

Oh Canada is an upbeat "march" style of rhythm. It is not a ballad. I really enjoyed the opening ceremonies for the Vancouver Winter Olympics, except for the anthem. The words were the same (mostly), but the tune was unrecognizable. I thought it sounded more like a Christmas Carol than the anthem. If the singer can't sing the song as written, find a new singer.

**rant mode off**
Manitoba Bison
2007 Vanier Cup Champions!

Hymie
All Star

Re: National Anthem.

Post by Hymie » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:39 am

jaxon wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I have a pet peeve. I hate it when the singer at an event messes with the national anthem.

Oh Canada is an upbeat "march" style of rhythm. It is not a ballad. I really enjoyed the opening ceremonies for the Vancouver Winter Olympics, except for the anthem. The words were the same (mostly), but the tune was unrecognizable. I thought it sounded more like a Christmas Carol than the anthem. If the singer can't sing the song as written, find a new singer.

**rant mode off**
I didn't think the anthem was that bad. I think we have certainly heard worse versions. She did use a little creative licence in how she presented it but I thought she didn't deviate to far from the official version. The Opening Ceremonies were good but I wouldn't call them outstanding. I really could have done with one less rendition of Hallelujah with KD Lang however. I'm hearing that on the radio enough as it is.
The CFL is alive and well
We don't need the NFL

CatsEyes
Superstar

Post by CatsEyes » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:42 pm

Yeah I'm with jaxon on this one. Anthems should not be stylized, jazzed up, countrified or American Idol-ized. Don't add notes, or make it "your" song. Use your voice to sing the notes as they were written-if you're a good singer, it will shine through!
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Hugoagogo
Starter

Post by Hugoagogo » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:57 pm

Agreed - the Canadian anthem is fine as it is. Having said that, Nikki Yanofsky has a helluva amazing voice for a girl that just turned 16.
SUPPORT CFL SPONSORS - BUY THEIR STUFF!!!

Solar Max
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Solar Max » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:17 am

I don't want creative licence; I want to hear it as it was written.

Dear Nikky, you are great, but please go sing Karaoke on Simon and Randy's little talent show, and leave important pieces of music alone.
13thman.com...THE place to talk football.

Al
All Star

Post by Al » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:53 am

Solar Max wrote:I don't want creative licence; I want to hear it as it was written.

Dear Nikky, you are great, but please go sing Karaoke on Simon and Randy's little talent show, and leave important pieces of music alone.

Then talk to the Musical Director.....He was the one who wanted it sung that way.
She was interviewed on CTV Saturday morning. After the host praised her performance/version, she stated that she had no say in the matter and was told to sing it that way.

Telling her to go sing on American Idol, Well, I guess you have no knowledge of her career

D
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions

Post by D » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:04 am

She has a great voice and i'm not opposed to hearing the anthem presented differantly but i don't think that was the stage to do so. I think the musical director presented it that way because theye DIDN'T want everyone singing along.
I own The Grey Cup! .com

woody
Superstar
Favourite Team: Hamilton Tiger Cats

Post by woody » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:26 pm

IT SUCKED...can I say that on here?
I believe Cookie Gilchrist is the most complete football player of all time. He belongs in the Canadian Football Hall of Fame!

Solar Max
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Solar Max » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:26 pm

Al wrote:
Solar Max wrote:I don't want creative licence; I want to hear it as it was written.

Then talk to the Musical Director.....He was the one who wanted it sung that way.
She was interviewed on CTV Saturday morning. After the host praised her performance/version, she stated that she had no say in the matter and was told to sing it that way.

Telling her to go sing on American Idol, Well, I guess you have no knowledge of her career
And I guess you have no sense of pride in the heritage of the song, or the country it represents. I am not surprised, frankly.

I was speaking in metaphor; perhaps you might want to look that one up, since you seem to have no knowledge of what happened in 4th grade.

Al
All Star

Post by Al » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:51 pm

Well I see this place is still the same
Cant admit you were wrong to blame her so you throw out the insults.....again

Did I say I liked her rendition?
Did I say I didnt like her rendition?

The answer is no to both.

The simple fact is that she did not decide to sing it that way, she was told to sing it that way. The fact that she was singing with an orchestra should have been your first clue! Had she been singing alone at a football game then sure, it would have been her decision. When there is an orchestra, its orchestrated! When its orchestrated, the musical director decides. Do you really think that she just decided to sing it that way an the 100 or so musicians behind her just followed along?

Do you know anything about her?

Here are a few facts for you

She sang the National anthem at the 2008 Grey Cup in Montreal
She has been nominated for 2 juno awards
In 2008 at the age of 14 she performed at the Montreal Jazz festival in front of 160,000 people

You keep making your references to American Idol
You keep up with your insults....We all know what you are trying to hide with them

Solar Max
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Solar Max » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:40 pm

Al wrote:Well I see this place is still the same
Cant admit you were wrong to blame her so you throw out the insults.....again
Well let's see, shall we, who insulted whom first?
You have no idea what knowledge I have, or don't have. You insulted me, I gave you that exact insult back. Would you like to trade more barbs?

I see you have not changed since your last visit here. Surprise, surprise.
Al wrote:The simple fact is that she did not decide to sing it that way, she was told to sing it that way.
Prove this, or retract it. You have no credibility here.

Al wrote:The fact that she was singing with an orchestra should have been your first clue! Had she been singing alone at a football game then sure, it would have been her decision. When there is an orchestra, its orchestrated! When its orchestrated, the musical director decides. Do you really think that she just decided to sing it that way an the 100 or so musicians behind her just followed along?
Why would an orchestra make any difference to WHO decided the arrangement? She could just as easily rehearsed her version with an orchestra, as she could have with someone else directing her to sing it that way..which you have no proof of, at least so far.
Al wrote:Do you know anything about her?
Yes.
Al wrote:Here are a few facts for you

She sang the National anthem at the 2008 Grey Cup in Montreal
She has been nominated for 2 juno awards
In 2008 at the age of 14 she performed at the Montreal Jazz festival in front of 160,000 people

You keep making your references to American Idol
You keep up with your insults....We all know what you are trying to hide with them
So...you can use google, just as I can. Wow. I am impressed.

If you feel I have given offence by a perceived insult, I can assure you that was not my intention. If you are insulted in any way, I am delighted regardless.

:beer:

Hugoagogo
Starter

Post by Hugoagogo » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:23 pm

SUPPORT CFL SPONSORS - BUY THEIR STUFF!!!

Al
All Star

Post by Al » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:46 am

Solar Max wrote:
Why would an orchestra make any difference to WHO decided the arrangement? She could just as easily rehearsed her version with an orchestra, as she could have with someone else directing her to sing it that way..which you have no proof of, at least so far.
If I prove it, Im sure you will send another warning for making you look bad
Im willing to risk it

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/2 ... story.html
Yanofsky told CTV her jazz-inspired rendition was not her idea, but a concept that was presented to her. ...... and even gave her suggestions on how to do that.”
Solar Max wrote:
You have no idea what knowledge I have, or don't have. You insulted me, I gave you that exact insult back. Would you like to trade more barbs?
really? Where exactly did I insult you?
Please quote it! When I said that you have no knowledge of something? Is that an insult to you? Are you that vain that you think you know everything? If someone questions that its an insult?
Solar Max wrote:
Al wrote:The simple fact is that she did not decide to sing it that way, she was told to sing it that way.
Prove this, or retract it. You have no credibility here.
Why dont you prove that she did decide? Is that how it still works here? You get to state what you want but I have to prove everything? Yah when you have a ban button, I guess it does.....Well I proved it!

The ball is in your court now

Solar Max
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Solar Max » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:16 am

The links Al., show me the links. You of all people make up quotes, after all.

Prove it, and we have a debate. Otherwise, you got squat.

Al
All Star

Post by Al » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:21 am

I posted a link!

Its right there for you to read

And what is there to debate after I prove it?