UFC Discussion Thread

Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Referees

Ron
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

UFC Discussion Thread

Post by Ron » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:25 pm

So ... anyone think Couture has a remote shot at beating the champ? Or will the big guy kill him?
Contrary to popular belief, the most dangerous animal is not the lion or tiger or even the elephant. The most dangerous animal is a shark riding on an elephant, just trampling and eating everything they see.

Ron
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Ron » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:12 pm

UFC officially announced UFC 70 is on Spike TV airing at 9 p.m. headlined by Mirko Cro Cop vs. Gabriel Gonzaga
Contrary to popular belief, the most dangerous animal is not the lion or tiger or even the elephant. The most dangerous animal is a shark riding on an elephant, just trampling and eating everything they see.

Dave in Calgary
Superstar

Re: UFC Discussion Thread

Post by Dave in Calgary » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:29 pm

Ron wrote:So ... anyone think Couture has a remote shot at beating the champ? Or will the big guy kill him?
I think he has a good shot! :wink:

The question now is if he can take down Mirko before eating a LHK.

Ron
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Ron » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:36 am

Mirko just lost his head.

Seems there may be a bunch of highly over rated guys out there. GSP and now Mirko.

Dave in Calgary
Superstar

Post by Dave in Calgary » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:57 am

It was a surprise loss, but it's not the first time Mirko's been KO'd by someone ranked below him (Kevin Randleman). We'll have to wait and see if he and GSP can avenge these losses. Now I'm getting interested to see Gonzaga vs. Noguiera--the two jiu jitsu guys who have beaten Crocop.

XGamer
Superstar
Favourite Team: Montreal Alouettes

Post by XGamer » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:41 pm

You know what's worst, I put in my bet on Thursday or Friday and told my girlfriend/wife, that my gut instinct was telling me that Cro Cop would lose after seeing the Countdown to UFC 70 on Spike TV.

I didn't watch UFC 70, didn't have access to it, but saw the highlights on Rogers Sportnet Connected sunday morning and scream a big "TABARNAK" when I saw the kick hitting Cro Cop !

Damn, I followed my gut instinct for Couture vs Silvia..and won the 4/1...

Lost 5580 vbeers on this one.... :(

Came back home last night, downloaded UFC70 torrent and just finished watching it. Repeat tonight Spike TV.

Arlowski fight was "boring", too bad we didn't see a KO or submission (I'm not sure that guy will ever get a shot a HW title in UFC...maybe Pride ?)

"The Count" was ready to give a show to his crowd...and did just that ! :D

CroCop & Gonzaga....just for the finish it was worth downloading it. Gonzaga used a page right out of the "kicking" book of CroCop...BANG ! K.O !

So now, it will be Couture vs Gonzaga at a future UFC event, probably in 5 months.

As for GSP, I certainly hope he gets back on track, I've been searching for news on him, haven't found anything interesting even in local newspaper of St-Isidore (where he resides, my in-laws live in the part of town and get the same paper.)

Let see what my gut tells me for Iceman vs Rampage (UFC 71)...or maybe it's just a f@rt waiting to get out ! ;)

UFC 72 (Rich Franklin Vs. Martin Kampmann), looks like Dana White wants another Silva vs Franklin 2...but I'd rather see someone else... vs Anderson Silva, than Rich "Ace" Franklin.

BTW, shouldn't the UFC sign Fedor (or come to an agreement) and send CroCop to Pride ?
Montreal Alouettes season ticket holder since 2004 !

Back-to-Back Grey Cups ('09 & '10) and I witnessed it LIVE from the stands !

Mtl Als Fansite: http://www.goalsgo.com

Dave in Calgary
Superstar

Post by Dave in Calgary » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:52 pm

XGamer wrote: BTW, shouldn't the UFC sign Fedor (or come to an agreement) and send CroCop to Pride ?
I'm not sure. Give Crocop some more time to adjust, but generally speaking his style is more "exciting" than Fedor's; i.e. more KO's, even though Fedor is the better overall fighter. Crocop does have four more fights on his UFC contract, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Fedor in an octagon someday.

I'd also really like to see Fedor's brother Aleks fight Sylvia or Arlovski--he's also a good big standup fighter, but doesn't fair so well against grapplers.

Did you catch any of the Cage Rage event that was going on at the same time as UFC? I can't remember the names of the fighters, but there was one excellent KO via spinning elbow/forearm . . . just beautifully timed and right on the button.

Edit: Ross Pointon (from TUF 3) vs Abdul Mohammed -- I checked Youtube but it's not there. Hopefully it will be at some point.

XGamer
Superstar

Post by XGamer » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:40 pm

Like Rogan & Couture said?CroCop should train in an Octagon instead of a ring, it might give him a better strategy or insight..but hey, who am I to give "pointers" to a pro fighter like him ! ;)

As for Fedor, I wouldn?t be surprise to see him soon in the UFC, see here. I'm positive, the Fertitta?s brothers weren?t too pleased to see Fedor with ?their belt? in the main event of a rival organization.

So I expect him to be here sooner than later in UFC, give 4-5 months and a major "surprise" will be annonced.

As for Crocop, he?ll probably be ?medically? suspended for the next 3 months since he was K.O?d. But if he comes back, he might have a couple of fighters in front of him:

Arlowski, Nogueira, 1 of the Emelianko?s bro, maybe Silvia, or even Couture, it won?t be easy for him.

Last 3 UFC PPV, we had major upsets:

UFC 70 ? Gonzaga K.O?s Cro Cop
UFC 69 ? Serra K.O?s St-Pierre & Koscheck defeats Sanchez
UFC68 - Couture def. Sylvia

What?s next ?

Future looks good?but not my vbeers count (Thanks Ron) ;)

As for the Cage Rage: Judgment Days, I didn?t get a look at it but read the results here

For GSP, tough road ahead, Serra might be champ for a while just like Hughes was. Hughes & Koscheck are eyeing the belt that Serra has? GSP will have to win his next 4-5 fights if he wants another shot at the belt, just like last time.

Dave in Calgary
Superstar

Post by Dave in Calgary » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:50 pm

It has been quite the year for upsets. In addition to those in the UFC, Pride saw:

"rookie" Sokodjou KO two top-ten ranked 205ers--Noguiera and Arona

and
205 champ Wanderlei Silva (who'd held the belt for something like 5 years) get KO'd by 183 lb champ Dan Henderson.

also
Fedor looked dangerously close to being subbed by kickboxer Mark Hunt, though the fight did end with Fedor subbing Hunt.

XGamer
Superstar

Post by XGamer » Thu May 24, 2007 2:49 pm

UFC 71 is upon us:

Sunday around 12:30 am (for us in the East) will see Rampage battle the Ice Man for light-heavyweight belt.

Personally, I don't know how many vbeers to wage on this...

Last 3 times I got burn, and as we were discussing here, we can call this year the year of the "upset" !

I'll wait until I see the UFC® 71 Countdown™: Liddell vs. Jackson re-play on Spike TV tonight...but looks like I'll "wimp" myself in the Bookmaker...

Half of my vbeers on Lidell, other half on Jackson.

Dave in Calgary
Superstar

Post by Dave in Calgary » Thu May 24, 2007 6:13 pm

XGamer wrote:UFC 71 is upon us:

Sunday around 12:30 am (for us in the East) will see Rampage battle the Ice Man for light-heavyweight belt.

Personally, I don't know how many vbeers to wage on this...

Last 3 times I got burn, and as we were discussing here, we can call this year the year of the "upset" !

I'll wait until I see the UFC® 71 Countdown™: Liddell vs. Jackson re-play on Spike TV tonight...but looks like I'll "wimp" myself in the Bookmaker...

Half of my vbeers on Lidell, other half on Jackson.
Exactly . . . I'd bet on the underdog if I could figure out which of the two that really is.
As for your thoughts on Ottawa, it's unfair to the fans to be held accountable for some of the poor management over the years.
-Mark Cohon

Opinions are like nails: the more often you hit them, the deeper they penetrate.
-Chinese Proverb

Chris81
Playground Scrub

Post by Chris81 » Fri May 25, 2007 11:32 am

UFC rocks Tito ortiz is the best :beauty:
the hunnington beach bad boy: Tito Ortiz

XGamer
Superstar

Post by XGamer » Fri May 25, 2007 4:21 pm

Just watched the UFC 71: LIVE Weigh-In on MSN Sympatico.

Looks like the HW champ, Randy "The Natural" Couture is predicting a "Rampage" win !

Crowd was 50-50 with Rampage, crowd "pop" for Lidell.

205lbs for both fighter, Rogan interviewed both fighters after weigh-in.

While Lidell was leaving, Rampage got on the mic to "get in his head"..Lidell laugh it off.

I still haven't decided ! :?

XGamer
Superstar

Post by XGamer » Sat May 26, 2007 9:31 pm

Year of the Upset continues:

NEW Light-HW champ:

"Rampage" Jackson !

UFC also annonced the "acquisition" of Dan Henderson, who is Middleweight & Light-HW champ in Pride FC.

Dave in Calgary
Superstar

Post by Dave in Calgary » Sat May 26, 2007 11:17 pm

XGamer wrote:Year of the Upset continues:

NEW Light-HW champ:

"Rampage" Jackson !

UFC also annonced the "acquisition" of Dan Henderson, who is Middleweight & Light-HW champ in Pride FC.
I don't think this one was so much of an upset. Rampage was the last guy to beat Chuck, and he just did it again.

Henderson's an interesting fighter. I don't think he matches up that well against either Chuck or Rampage as they both have good take down defense, and both are bigger and stronger than Hendo. I'd rather see Hendo stick to the 185 division, which he probably will if Rampage beats him. I'm hoping we can finally see Wanderlei Silva against Chuck now.
As for your thoughts on Ottawa, it's unfair to the fans to be held accountable for some of the poor management over the years.
-Mark Cohon

Opinions are like nails: the more often you hit them, the deeper they penetrate.
-Chinese Proverb