UFC Discussion Thread

Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Referees

XGamer
Superstar
Favourite Team: Montreal Alouettes

Post by XGamer » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:22 pm

I just watched the Weight-ins on ESPN Broadband.

Liddell vs Silva will be very interesting since, Liddell "flipped off" Silva after the stair-down, and some guys had to jump in before an altercation.

As for Hughes vs St-Pierre, GSP looked cut... I wish him the best since Dana White announced yesterday (in pre-UFC 79 press conference) that Montreal Bell Centre will get UFC 83 in April :D (It was reported on Sportsnet).

As long as it's not April 26th (since I'll be in T.O. for Rock game), I'll be in Bell Centre !
Montreal Alouettes season ticket holder since 2004 !

Back-to-Back Grey Cups ('09 & '10) and I witnessed it LIVE from the stands !

Mtl Als Fansite: http://www.goalsgo.com

Ron
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Ron » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:41 pm

Liddell and Silva is such a letdown. Went from being the match of the decade to "who's the next Mirko?"
Contrary to popular belief, the most dangerous animal is not the lion or tiger or even the elephant. The most dangerous animal is a shark riding on an elephant, just trampling and eating everything they see.

Dave in Korea
Starter

Post by Dave in Korea » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:03 am

Ron wrote:Liddell and Silva is such a letdown. Went from being the match of the decade to "who's the next Mirko?"
True, though in a way, they're both already Mirkos, having lost two in row, with at least one brutal KO among the losses. Though one of Silva's losses was a brutal KO delivered from Mirko, so perhaps he more Mirko than Mirko.

On the other hand, once this fight is over, Mirko's next fight will see him trying not to be the next Liddell/Silva. :wink:

Ron
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Ron » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:45 pm

GSP wins. Great talent .. to bad he's a bit of jerk.
Contrary to popular belief, the most dangerous animal is not the lion or tiger or even the elephant. The most dangerous animal is a shark riding on an elephant, just trampling and eating everything they see.

XGamer
Superstar

Post by XGamer » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:01 am

Great win by GSP !

Tried kamora, then turned it into an armbar ! Bang ! New Interim-Champ !

Just like their 1st fight, GSP tried the kamora, but it was Hughes who turned it into an armbar...

But Hugues being who he is...he didn't tapped out, but screamed like a little girl to the referee to end the fight, with 6 seconds left in the 2nd round !
Ron wrote:to bad he's a bit of jerk.
I couldn't have said it better for Matt Hughes !

Next fight for GSP, Matt Serra to "unify" the Welterweight belt !

XGamer
Superstar

Post by XGamer » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:40 pm

Ron
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Ron » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:27 pm

If GSP can keep his head and ego in check ... he'll crush him. Hopefully he's learned from the past.

XGamer
Superstar

Post by XGamer » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:04 pm

Ron wrote:If GSP can keep his head and ego in check ... he'll crush him. Hopefully he's learned from the past.
Ron, you have to explain to me about GSP "ego", I don't understand.

I've met the guy this weekend in Ottawa for a jiu-jitsu seminar & he's the most down to earth athlete i've ever met.

He was smiling, joking about his "bad" english, taking 5-10 minutes with anybody talking to him, doing the correction on the student himself (instead if his trainers)....heck, the guy even gave part of his "profit" to CHEO...

I don't know many athletes with ego would do that !

GSP was great to meet ! Also, Patrick Coté was there...

Ron
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Ron » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:46 pm

XGamer wrote:
Ron wrote:If GSP can keep his head and ego in check ... he'll crush him. Hopefully he's learned from the past.
Ron, you have to explain to me about GSP "ego", I don't understand.

I've met the guy this weekend in Ottawa for a jiu-jitsu seminar & he's the most down to earth athlete i've ever met.

He was smiling, joking about his "bad" english, taking 5-10 minutes with anybody talking to him, doing the correction on the student himself (instead if his trainers)....heck, the guy even gave part of his "profit" to CHEO...

I don't know many athletes with ego would do that !

GSP was great to meet ! Also, Patrick Coté was there...
What you just mentioned is not ego.

I saw on one of those UFC shows that he said that he took Serra as an easy win the first time and believed he couldn't lose. That's ego and hopefully he has learned from it.

XGamer
Superstar

Post by XGamer » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:25 am

I was watching Sportsnet and they had a "topo" on Brock Lesnar, at the end of the segment, they showed a text about a UFC press conference @ Bell Centre on February 4th with Dana White & GSP @ 10:00am (east) !

To confirm April 19th show... :D

Alswin
Champion

Post by Alswin » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:10 am

Now I'm not a huge UFC fan, but I will watch from time to time, last night on TSN I saw Urijah Faber fight and he looked very impressive in a cagefighting match, not sure if it's the same as UFC. These guys were about 144 lbs.

Dave in Korea
Starter

Post by Dave in Korea » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:40 pm

Alswin wrote:Now I'm not a huge UFC fan, but I will watch from time to time, last night on TSN I saw Urijah Faber fight and he looked very impressive in a cagefighting match, not sure if it's the same as UFC. These guys were about 144 lbs.
Faber fights in the WEC, which is owned by the UFC. It focuses more on lighter weights and, I think, is always on free TV rather than PPV. But you're right, Faber is an excellent, exciting fighter. I'd like to see the UFC include him and some other WEC fighters on their "big league" cards . . . though free TV is nice as well. :wink:

XGamer
Superstar

Post by XGamer » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:41 pm

I just received great news last night (being a UFC Fight Club member), even if it was the worst kept secret out there !

Finally it's Official, the event is listed in the Event Calendar on the UFC Fight Club page.

Seating Chart for Bell Centre is out, but no prices mentionned:

http://www.ticketmaster.ca/seatingchart/131630/21958

I'm bying 6 tickets (maximum) on the pre-sale (Sunday Feb 3rd' 08, 10am EST Time) for Fight Club members.

Tickets will be on sale at Bell Centre Ticket booth on Monday 4th (after press-conference), but will be available on TicketMaster/Admission, only on the 8th.

:D

Dave in Korea
Starter

Post by Dave in Korea » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:28 pm

Some great fights tonight . . . always good to see skill defeat size/strength. I wonder if this could entice Randy back to the Octagon.

iso_55
Legend

Post by iso_55 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:44 am

Didn't Brock Lesnar fight last night? If so, how did he do?
I've got soul but I'm not a soldier.