UFC Discussion Thread

Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Referees

Dave in Korea
Starter
Posts: 467
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:32 am
Location: Yongin

Post by Dave in Korea » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:52 am

He did relatively well. He has strong take downs and powerful punches from the top position . . . but he got submitted in less than two minutes. Before that, though, he was pretty close to finishing the fight via TKO.

User avatar
iso_55
Legend
Posts: 23849
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:06 pm
Location: Calgary

Post by iso_55 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:00 am

Dave in Korea wrote:He did relatively well. He has strong take downs and powerful punches from the top position . . . but he got submitted in less than two minutes. Before that, though, he was pretty close to finishing the fight via TKO.
Well, it sure ain't the WWE that's for sure.
I've got soul but I'm not a soldier.

Dave in Korea
Starter
Posts: 467
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:32 am
Location: Yongin

Post by Dave in Korea » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:20 am

iso_55 wrote:
Dave in Korea wrote:He did relatively well. He has strong take downs and powerful punches from the top position . . . but he got submitted in less than two minutes. Before that, though, he was pretty close to finishing the fight via TKO.
Well, it sure ain't the WWE that's for sure.
Nope. You cry 'uncle' a lot faster when someone really is about to break your ankle. Give Brock some more time and training against submissions, though, and I think he'll make waves in MMA.

User avatar
iso_55
Legend
Posts: 23849
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:06 pm
Location: Calgary

Post by iso_55 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:42 am

Dave in Korea wrote:
iso_55 wrote:
Dave in Korea wrote:He did relatively well. He has strong take downs and powerful punches from the top position . . . but he got submitted in less than two minutes. Before that, though, he was pretty close to finishing the fight via TKO.
Well, it sure ain't the WWE that's for sure.
Nope. You cry 'uncle' a lot faster when someone really is about to break your ankle. Give Brock some more time and training against submissions, though, and I think he'll make waves in MMA.
I saw the match on You Tube a few minutes ago. From your description, I thought Lesnar submitted but it was the other way around.
Lesnar looks leaner than he did as a pro wrestler. You agree or disagree?
I've got soul but I'm not a soldier.

User avatar
XGamer
Superstar
Posts: 1771
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:14 pm
Favourite Team: Montreal Alouettes
Location: Gatineau (Aylmer), Quebec
Contact:

Post by XGamer » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:40 pm

Lesnar wrestling profile had him at 295.

On UFC Full Access, he was saying that he was losing a lot of lbs because of his training, his shape did looked great yesterday.

As for the match, he almost knock-out Mir while on the griund, just imagine a 4XL glove hitting you in the face...

The guy has no Jiu-jitsu, he does have great werstling skill, but if he was to join a camp like Extreme Couture, Greg Jackson's camp or even Chute in Brazil, he would gain a lot of experience that could help him in future fights.

Just look at Noriega last night, who got the *poop* kicked out of him for 10 minutes and summited Silvia in the 3rd round !

I think Lesnar did OK, but like D.White said in an earlier interview, Lesnar knows how to promote itself because he learned from the master (McMahon).

His next fight will be make or break in the UFC, I just hope they won't feed him a "jobber".

BTW, I got my UFC 83 tickets today because of pre-sale for UFC Fight club members - Bell Centre - Section 303 2nd row - 150$ - :D
Montreal Alouettes season ticket holder since 2004 !

Back-to-Back Grey Cups ('09 & '10) and I witnessed it LIVE from the stands !

Mtl Als Fansite: http://www.goalsgo.com

User avatar
Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6576
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:24 pm

Post by Inquiring Mind » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:44 pm

UFC must just be drooling with the Mir/Lesnar outcome... even though he submitted within two minutes he showed he can be a real force, and can be physically dominating, just needs experience.

Mir got the clean win, and can keep building on that momentum.

Everyone came out looking fairly good, and both guys can keep building
-

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

User avatar
Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6576
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:24 pm

Post by Inquiring Mind » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:00 pm

-

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

User avatar
Ron
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Posts: 8757
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2002 2:18 pm

Post by Ron » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:09 pm

XGamer wrote:Lesnar wrestling profile had him at 295.

On UFC Full Access, he was saying that he was losing a lot of lbs because of his training, his shape did looked great yesterday.

As for the match, he almost knock-out Mir while on the griund, just imagine a 4XL glove hitting you in the face...

The guy has no Jiu-jitsu, he does have great werstling skill, but if he was to join a camp like Extreme Couture, Greg Jackson's camp or even Chute in Brazil, he would gain a lot of experience that could help him in future fights.

Just look at Noriega last night, who got the *poop* kicked out of him for 10 minutes and summited Silvia in the 3rd round !

I think Lesnar did OK, but like D.White said in an earlier interview, Lesnar knows how to promote itself because he learned from the master (McMahon).

His next fight will be make or break in the UFC, I just hope they won't feed him a "jobber".

BTW, I got my UFC 83 tickets today because of pre-sale for UFC Fight club members - Bell Centre - Section 303 2nd row - 150$ - :D
Well he promoted himself to White real good since Lesnar made $250K for the fight and would have got $200K more for a win. Mir got $80K for the fight and $40K for the win.
Contrary to popular belief, the most dangerous animal is not the lion or tiger or even the elephant. The most dangerous animal is a shark riding on an elephant, just trampling and eating everything they see.

User avatar
XGamer
Superstar
Posts: 1771
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:14 pm
Favourite Team: Montreal Alouettes
Location: Gatineau (Aylmer), Quebec
Contact:

Post by XGamer » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:05 am

Wow, I justed watched the press conf online for UFC 83.

13 000 tickets sold to UFC Fight Club members in the pre-sale, this is gonna sold-out !

We should have a decent card, Mac Danzig (TUF6 Season winner), Michael Bisping, Travis Lutter, Rich "ACE" Franklin, Matt Serra, GSP, ect...
Montreal Alouettes season ticket holder since 2004 !

Back-to-Back Grey Cups ('09 & '10) and I witnessed it LIVE from the stands !

Mtl Als Fansite: http://www.goalsgo.com

Dave in Korea
Starter
Posts: 467
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:32 am
Location: Yongin

Post by Dave in Korea » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:25 pm

iso_55 wrote:
Dave in Korea wrote:
iso_55 wrote:
Dave in Korea wrote:He did relatively well. He has strong take downs and powerful punches from the top position . . . but he got submitted in less than two minutes. Before that, though, he was pretty close to finishing the fight via TKO.
Well, it sure ain't the WWE that's for sure.
Nope. You cry 'uncle' a lot faster when someone really is about to break your ankle. Give Brock some more time and training against submissions, though, and I think he'll make waves in MMA.
I saw the match on You Tube a few minutes ago. From your description, I thought Lesnar submitted but it was the other way around.
Lesnar looks leaner than he did as a pro wrestler. You agree or disagree?
Hey iso, yeah, I think Lesnar had to lose some weight to make the 265-lb limit. I'll bet, though, that he was at least 275 come fight time--still a pretty imposing physique, especially on someone so athletic.

I agree with XGamer that Brock will be a force to be reckoned with in the HW division, but I also think the UFC should maybe reconsider their HW classification, which runs from 206 lbs up to 265. There's no way someone weighing 220 (I don't think any of the HWs fight lower than that) or so should be having to face a guy that much bigger. Those huge HWs are no longer necessarily slow slugs. I think maybe 205-240 for HW, and 241-285 for SHW.

User avatar
XGamer
Superstar
Posts: 1771
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:14 pm
Favourite Team: Montreal Alouettes
Location: Gatineau (Aylmer), Quebec
Contact:

Post by XGamer » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:32 pm

I don't think a Super HW division is the way to go, but I would have the HW division go from 206 to 275, instead of 265.

I don't want to see guys like Hong-Man Choi (7'2 - 350lbs), in the UFC, that looks like "zombies" in the cage.

I personaly think, the UFC needs is a "featherweight" division, just like WEC. I would make that division 145 to 154lbs.
Montreal Alouettes season ticket holder since 2004 !

Back-to-Back Grey Cups ('09 & '10) and I witnessed it LIVE from the stands !

Mtl Als Fansite: http://www.goalsgo.com

User avatar
iso_55
Legend
Posts: 23849
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:06 pm
Location: Calgary

Post by iso_55 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:55 pm

XGamer wrote:I don't think a Super HW division is the way to go, but I would have the HW division go from 206 to 275, instead of 265.

I don't want to see guys like Hong-Man Choi (7'2 - 350lbs), in the UFC, that looks like "zombies" in the cage.

I personaly think, the UFC needs is a "featherweight" division, just like WEC. I would make that division 145 to 154lbs.
I( don't like weight limits or restrictions. I think a Super Heavyweight Division is the way to go for the truly big men. If Lesnar can fight at 295, let him fight at 295. Just don't put him in with a 210 lb guy because the smaller man will get smashed.
I've got soul but I'm not a soldier.

Dave in Korea
Starter
Posts: 467
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:32 am
Location: Yongin

Post by Dave in Korea » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:40 pm

XGamer wrote:I don't think a Super HW division is the way to go, but I would have the HW division go from 206 to 275, instead of 265.

I don't want to see guys like Hong-Man Choi (7'2 - 350lbs), in the UFC, that looks like "zombies" in the cage.

I personaly think, the UFC needs is a "featherweight" division, just like WEC. I would make that division 145 to 154lbs.
I say they could cap the SHW division--above I said at 285, but 300 would work for me as well--which would prevent HMC from entering the cage (though I'd actually like to see him in the cage--it'd be interesting for me to see a Korean wrestling champ compete more in MMA). I really think it gets dangerous to have someone like Brock at 275 or whatever fighting someone at 225. That's too much weight difference IMO.

User avatar
XGamer
Superstar
Posts: 1771
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:14 pm
Favourite Team: Montreal Alouettes
Location: Gatineau (Aylmer), Quebec
Contact:

Post by XGamer » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:42 pm

Just got my UFC 83 tickets from Ticketmaster in mail today ! :D
Montreal Alouettes season ticket holder since 2004 !

Back-to-Back Grey Cups ('09 & '10) and I witnessed it LIVE from the stands !

Mtl Als Fansite: http://www.goalsgo.com

User avatar
Ron
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Posts: 8757
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2002 2:18 pm

Post by Ron » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:14 pm

Record crowd!
The UFC show on 4/19 in Montreal was almost completely sold out yesterday, before tickets went on sale to the public, and is now completely clean. They are saying it will be a larger crowd than for the 3/1 Columbus, OH show and break the UFC record
Contrary to popular belief, the most dangerous animal is not the lion or tiger or even the elephant. The most dangerous animal is a shark riding on an elephant, just trampling and eating everything they see.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest