UFC Discussion Thread

Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Referees

XGamer
Superstar
Favourite Team: Montreal Alouettes

Post by XGamer » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:19 am

Anyone out here watching TUF6.

For myself, I'm not just getting into it...

Serra-Hughes drama, is not up to par to Ortiz-Shamrock...

But can't wait to see them beat the *crap* our of each other in December.
Montreal Alouettes season ticket holder since 2004 !

Back-to-Back Grey Cups ('09 & '10) and I witnessed it LIVE from the stands !

Mtl Als Fansite: http://www.goalsgo.com

Ron
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Ron » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:34 pm

Holy crap!!
Couture quits UFC

by Dave Meltzer

The Fight Network has just reported that Randy Couture has quit the promotion, vacating his heavyweight title and leaving his job as a color commentator.

Couture, who works for The Fight Network itself, so there is no way they are going to miss on this story, wrote a letter from South Africa where he's filming the Scorpion King movie, to Dana White.

Not getting a match with Fedor Emelianenko played a part in his decision. The decision was made when it became clear the match with Fedor wasn't happening.

It is known Couture was one of the top UFC fighters who was unhappy when reading about the huge money guaranteed in the company's offers to Emelianenko, because he felt he and a few others were the fighters who helped build the current popularity and they weren't getting guaranteed income for fights anywhere near that level, particularly since they were bigger drawing cards.

With the decline of Chuck Liddell, Couture was likely the company's biggest short-term drawing card, and without question, was its most popular fighter.

We will have more on this story later.
Contrary to popular belief, the most dangerous animal is not the lion or tiger or even the elephant. The most dangerous animal is a shark riding on an elephant, just trampling and eating everything they see.

Dave in Calgary
Superstar

Post by Dave in Calgary » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:23 pm

Ron wrote:Holy crap!!
Couture quits UFC

by Dave Meltzer

The Fight Network has just reported that Randy Couture has quit the promotion, vacating his heavyweight title and leaving his job as a color commentator.

Couture, who works for The Fight Network itself, so there is no way they are going to miss on this story, wrote a letter from South Africa where he's filming the Scorpion King movie, to Dana White.

Not getting a match with Fedor Emelianenko played a part in his decision. The decision was made when it became clear the match with Fedor wasn't happening.

It is known Couture was one of the top UFC fighters who was unhappy when reading about the huge money guaranteed in the company's offers to Emelianenko, because he felt he and a few others were the fighters who helped build the current popularity and they weren't getting guaranteed income for fights anywhere near that level, particularly since they were bigger drawing cards.

With the decline of Chuck Liddell, Couture was likely the company's biggest short-term drawing card, and without question, was its most popular fighter.

We will have more on this story later.
Wow, that is a shocker. No Fedor and now no Couture! I wonder how they'll handle the HW belt now. Maybe the winner of Vera-Sylvia vs. the winner of Kongo-Noguiera?
As for your thoughts on Ottawa, it's unfair to the fans to be held accountable for some of the poor management over the years.
-Mark Cohon

Opinions are like nails: the more often you hit them, the deeper they penetrate.
-Chinese Proverb

XGamer
Superstar

Post by XGamer » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:49 pm

Thursday, October 11, 2007
by Josh Gross (joshg@sherdog.com)

Randy Couture (Pictures), the face of the Ultimate Fighting Championship and one of mixed martial arts most revered fighters, notified the UFC via fax from South Africa at 11 o'clock Thursday morning that he has chosen to resign from the UFC, "The Natural" confirmed with Sherdog.com.

"I sent the letter of resignation to the UFC today, resigning not only from my position in the company as a commentator and as an ambassador, but also as the heavyweight champion," Couture said over the phone from South Africa, where he is currently filming a movie.

"The motivation for the decision is two-fold," he continued. "I know Fedor (Emelianenko) just signed with another organization and that's the only real fight that makes sense for me at 44 years old as the heavyweight champion of the UFC. That's the fight I wanted and if that can't happen it doesn't make sense for me to compete with all these other guys. And then obviously that's not going to happen now. And, two, I'm tired of being taken advantage of, played as the nice guy and basically swimming against the current with the management of the UFC. I have a lot of other things going on in my life that I'm doing just fine with. I don't need the problems. I don't feel like I get the respect I deserve from the organization, and that's motivation No. 2 for the letter of resignation that was sent today."
More HERE

XGamer
Superstar

Post by XGamer » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:00 pm

I'm still in shock...no more Captain America, no more "The Natural" ! :(

I enjoyed watching Randy fighting, especially when he won vs Silvia, where he dominated him !

I can see why, he's pretty *peed* off about the contracts, look at some of the numbers UFC was throwing out to other fighters (without bonuses):

UFC 76: Chuck Lidell - 500 000 $

UFC 75 - I remember reading that Mirko “Cro Copâ€

Ron
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Ron » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:38 pm

Wow. Dana really short changed him.
Contrary to popular belief, the most dangerous animal is not the lion or tiger or even the elephant. The most dangerous animal is a shark riding on an elephant, just trampling and eating everything they see.

XGamer
Superstar

Post by XGamer » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:42 am

Interesting comment from Couture:

[quote]“It’s not a retirement,â€

Dave in Calgary
Superstar

Post by Dave in Calgary » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:59 am

[quote="XGamer"]Interesting comment from Couture:

[quote]“It’s not a retirement,â€
As for your thoughts on Ottawa, it's unfair to the fans to be held accountable for some of the poor management over the years.
-Mark Cohon

Opinions are like nails: the more often you hit them, the deeper they penetrate.
-Chinese Proverb

XGamer
Superstar

Post by XGamer » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:30 pm

So UFC 77 has past...and no discussion ???

My 2 cents:

1 - Kalib Starnes...guy had a HUGE gash on his forehead...too bad because it was a good fight !

2 - Silva destroying Franklin...got to love it !
I never liked the "click" of Silvia, Hughes & Franklin when they were champs...and each time 1 of them gets an @$$-kicking..it's almost as fun as when the Al's beat the Argos @ 2005 East Finals ;)

As for Silvia, too bad he wasn't in shape like that when he was champ...guy came prepared and might be in line for HW shot since Couture drop the belt.

Also Dana White confirmed last Thurdays in a conf.call that they "cancelled" once again the event in Montreal, because they cannot have a date for the Bell Centre...looks like we'll have to wait again...unless UFC finds a spot in July-August...

As for Brock Lesnar signing a 2 year deal...I don't know what to think, except he was a NCAA champ while in Minnesota.

Glenegade
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Favourite Team: Ottawa

Post by Glenegade » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:12 pm

I don't like Dana White
Undefeated So Far In 2006!

XGamer
Superstar

Post by XGamer » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:08 am

Dec 29th, it's ON !

Serra pulled out with injury & Canadian Georges "Rush" St-Pierre just stepped up to the plate ! :canada:

GSP ! GSP ! GSP ! GSP ! GSP ! GSP ! GSP ! GSP ! :D

Ron
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Ron » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:35 pm

Hughes will kill him!

XGamer
Superstar

Post by XGamer » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:49 am

Once again the UFC is quiet about the MTL PPV, but looks like things are progressing:

Jason MacDonald Confirms Fight For UFC 83 In Canada

Ron
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Ron » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:19 pm

The following are the official REPORTED pay outs to fighters who participated on the live finale of The Ultimate Fighter 6: "Team Hughes vs. Team Serra" on Spike TV, on December 8th:

-Roger Huerta ($38,000) def. Clay Guida ($11,000)
-Mac Danzig ($16,000) def. Tommy Speer ($8,000)
-Jon Koppenhaver ($16,000) def. Jared Rollins ($8,000)
-George Sotiropoulos ($16,000) def. Billy Miles ($8,000)
-Ben Saunders ($16,000) def. Dan Barrera ($8,000)
-Troy Mandaloniz ($16,000) def. Richie Hightower ($8,000)
-Matt Arroyo ($16,000) def. John Kolosci ($8,000)
-Roman Mitichyan ($16,000) def. Dorian Price ($8,000)
-Jonathan Goulet ($14,000) def. Paul Georgieff ($8,000)

Total fighter pay out: $239,000

XGamer
Superstar

Post by XGamer » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:09 pm

I watched Countdown to UFC 79 last night...some of the videos can be seen HERE

They only featured the 2 main fights:

Hughes vs St-Pierre - "Part" III
Liddel vs Silva

My early impressions are Silva & Hughes will win....

As much as I love St-Pierre, deep down I'm rooting for him and want him to win, but I'm not sure he's in the right mind set to win vs Hughes who's been training the last 6 months (if you include TUF 6) for this fight.

Also on another side note...St-Pierre was pulled-over last week while going to Vegas, looks like his car licences were expired or something...

For those of you out there who understands this...Here are some Vegas odds on UFC 79.

Too bad that Sympatico MSN doesn't show the weight-ins anymore, used to be on Friday before the fight :(