MLS & Toronto FC Cannot Survive

Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Referees

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Post by Inquiring Mind » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:31 am

Interesting note, I have the TFC game on in the background as I go about my morning today, and they were interviewing some MLSE big wig and apparently they have a waiting list of 5,000 for season tickets and something like a 94% renewal rate

Looks like they'll have at least another year or two to get the results on the pitch before the novelty wears off
-

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

argotom
Superstar

Post by argotom » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:42 pm

You are correct IM, I give them and the league 2-3 years max before it folds.

Catssuck
Champion
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Post by Catssuck » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:50 pm

Before what folds Tom? I believe the TFC are here to stay or at least last until the league folds. They blew away average attendance and numbers for the league and they have a great following - you just have to accept the fact that there are soccer fans in Toronto - so I see the league biting the dust (and I hope this DOES NOT happen) before TFC does (Even though I detest MLSE).
On July 13th 2007 Cossack wrote: I agree with the Argo fan.
Thanks for finally coming around Terry - the Ticats do suck.

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Post by Inquiring Mind » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:58 pm

argotom wrote:You are correct IM, I give them and the league 2-3 years max before it folds.
How much money you willing to put on that?

I have $100 that says they're both will be alive and kicking come 2011
-

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

argotom
Superstar

Post by argotom » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:13 pm

The league is bleeding big time and cannot last too much longer.
Just like the NLL last week who gave its players an ultimatum and when the players would not agree, it closed down and possibly for good.
As for the MLS, how can a league with an alleged per game average of 15,000 last and especially since it is widely believed how possibly as many as 5000 of these tickets are freebies.
I stand by my prediciton of 2-3 years.
The NASL was drawing much better in the early 80's when it went under.

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Post by Inquiring Mind » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:20 pm

The MLS has been hemorrheging money it's entire existance... most that get involved know that or are quickly out of the picture.... So c'mon, put something behind all your vitriol, take my bet, if you're so sure it should be easy money in your pocket.

As per your issue with their attendance, the CFL is just as guilty as any other league of papering the house and inflating their figures, but you assumption that because they average roughly half as many people per game doesn't mean they are worse off financially, they play almost twice as many home games for one which evens it up in a hurry... add to that they only carry 18 guys, so even paying them what they do they still spend half of what a CFL team does on players as is, and they also don't need to carry near as many trainers and coaches.

For what it's worth, there are far more trainwrecks than just the NASL... the MISL I, WISL, CISL, EISL, PSA, etc, etc... but that's hardly germaine to the MLS, though I'm sure you couldn't care less, you just want to spew your agenda of rage.
-

argolio
Hall of Famer

Post by argolio » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:22 pm

I can't see the MLS NOT being around in 5 years. Whether they experience anything more than modest growth, I'm not as sure.
My name is Argolio, and I approved this post.

argotom
Superstar

Post by argotom » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:25 pm

Self rightous IM again, with your spewing of if I don't agree with it it is WRONG.
Well I don't buy into your self professed nonsense and you are the one with the agenda.
With me it is the CFL as my "agenda", while with you who the heck knows and frankly who cares.

tvradiofun
Rookie

Post by tvradiofun » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:11 pm

I enjoyed watching the MLS and the Toronto FC this season. Yes, only time will tell if the MLS does survive for the future.
One thing is going for the league and soccer in North Amercia the kids even when they grow up will keep their eyes and money on the game. Its their game. I believe the cost is much cheaper than minor hockey and football programs.

Television network and radio rights, coverage in the local newspapers, the websites, strong marketing/advertising, with profits put back into the teams and league.

The league must control more positive news on their product and right size of stadium to play each game.

It would nice to see MLS in both Vancouver and Montreal. I think both cities are building new stadiums for their teams.
Enjoy life. Be honest and kind to women, children and animals. No BS with another man.
Challenge yourself at times. Meet many new and interesting people. Just be positive in life. Smile.

Lerriuqs
Legend

Post by Lerriuqs » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:00 pm

argotom wrote:Self rightous IM again, with your spewing of if I don't agree with it it is WRONG.
Well I don't buy into your self professed nonsense and you are the one with the agenda.
With me it is the CFL as my "agenda", while with you who the heck knows and frankly who cares.
:rotf: :rotf: Oh wait you're serious?? :roll: You really don't get it do you? :? :?

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Post by Inquiring Mind » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:24 pm

argotom wrote:Self rightous IM again, with your spewing of if I don't agree with it it is WRONG.
Well, you're the authority on self professed nonsense, uttering example after example of logical fallacies then ignoring it once you've been disproven... but far be it from me to get in the way of your playing the victim :roll:
-

Catssuck
Champion
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Post by Catssuck » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:19 am

Hmmm....these were words spoken by the guy who has possibly denegrated every other sport out there. You wonder why people think you have an agenda Tom? You insult possibly 80% of the members on this board every time you rail against other sports and leagues and then throw in not-so-subtle insults about the people who watch these sports with your little 'comments'. The squirrel is right - you are completely oblivious.
On July 13th 2007 Cossack wrote: I agree with the Argo fan.
Thanks for finally coming around Terry - the Ticats do suck.

argotom
Superstar

Post by argotom » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:08 am

At no time have I ever attacked or insulted anyone. Period.
Same is not the case for some of you such as Bushido or IM who cannot entertain how others may not agree with your vision of the sports world.

Lerriuqs
Legend

Post by Lerriuqs » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:50 am

I'm bringing this post up again - last time I checked - calling someone self righteous when there is no evidence of it would be insulting someone...As well, all you need to see for reference on insults is your posts with regards to NASCAR...

One group of examples of many...
argotom wrote:3. U20 Soccer Spain-Czech Saturday CBC @369,000 see number 1 above, there is no account for taste.
4.5.6. Blue Jays vs Red Sox Friday,Sat & Sunday Sportsnet @ 363,000, 336,000 & 349,000 Solid numbers for a team out of it.
7. Auto racing, Nascar 400 Sunday TSN @317,000 not a fan here, but the Bubba and Skeeter factor have many inroads in this country for a machine and not human sport?
8. U20 Soccer Chile-Nigeria Sunday CBC @303,000 mercyfully it will all be over this weekend and we can get back with our lives at least those who will admit to watching this crap.
from here... phpbb_/viewtopic.php?t=32194&start=0&po ... highlight=

I'm insulted and I'm not even a NASCAR or soccer fan...You have insulted many people that do not share your very narrow view of the sporting world on more than one occasion. But go on with your little world of believing your lie that you've done nothing wrong and are being persecuted... :juggle:

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Post by Inquiring Mind » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:46 am

argotom wrote:At no time have I ever attacked or insulted anyone. Period.
Same is not the case for some of you such as Bushido or IM who cannot entertain how others may not agree with your vision of the sports world.
:roll:

What a load of $&!#... and for the record. I couldn't care less what your tastes in sports are... how you present them on the other hand, I have all kinds of issues with
-