MLS & Toronto FC Cannot Survive

Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Referees

Gill The Thrill
Superstar

Re: MLS & Toronto FC Cannot Survive

Post by Gill The Thrill » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:08 pm

Rids wrote:I don't think the MLS will over expand for two reasons. First the price tag for expansion teams. The new Philly team paid $30 million to join this league. Secondly FIFA regulations have a limit of 20 teams for the top level soccer league. I do not see MLS working around this ruling and adding more teams without adding a second division.
 $30 million, somebody's drinking the kool-aid :marg: . I cannot see how a team in this league that has basically one over-hyped star can be worth 30 million. Woww...to pay $30 million for a team in a league that would lose it's best young players to a bevy of leagues in Europe, and a team in a league that just says it's much better than the USL, but has a difficult time really showing it on the fied.

I guess the ABC/ESPN exposure helps, but so does charging extremely high ticket prices considering the pittance of salary costs. The CFL can also be accused of doing the same in the last several years. Then again it maybe Toronto FC who is probably gouging their fans the most, MLSE are the ultimate pros in doing that...the Argos coincidentally also did the same in the off-season by hiring Brad Watters to cut capacity but noticeably raise ticket prices across the board.... :thdn:

argolio
Hall of Famer

Post by argolio » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:50 pm

Surprised nobody commented on this.

So were the fans hammered before the game even started?
My name is Argolio, and I approved this post.

argolio
Hall of Famer

Post by argolio » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:58 pm

Hollywood2 wrote:
Rids wrote:I don't think the MLS will over expand for two reasons. First the price tag for expansion teams. The new Philly team paid $30 million to join this league. Secondly FIFA regulations have a limit of 20 teams for the top level soccer league. I do not see MLS working around this ruling and adding more teams without adding a second division.
That's a funny regulation. I can see a country like England or Italy having 20 top teams. But not Belgium or Sweden. Then again, FIFA also frowns upon multi-national leagues.
It's more of a guideline than a strict rule, and the number is 18, not 20.

England went from 22 to 20 in the mid-90's, but refused to go to 18. Italy went from 20 to 18 for a few years but then decided to go back to 20. Most Euro leagues have 16-18 teams, and some smaller countries have 10-14 team leagues.

Rids
Superstar

Post by Rids » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:58 pm

MLS has already been informed that if they wish to add more than 20 teams they will have to create a second division. I imagine that they would scoop up the top teams from the USL to make it work should that need arise.
http://www.JessicaRidley.com << My country singing wife

Gill The Thrill
Superstar

Post by Gill The Thrill » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:57 pm

Rids wrote:MLS has already been informed that if they wish to add more than 20 teams they will have to create a second division. I imagine that they would scoop up the top teams from the USL to make it work should that need arise.
It would be the end of the MLS if they did that. They're simply not enough quality players to have over 20 MLS teams. That's another reason the NASL folded. I could remember NASL scores when I was a kid and they were a joke. A 7-0 scoreline was not uncommon. Giorgio Chinaglia once scored 6 goals in one game, could you imagine that. 6 Goals in one soccer game. That's as much as Sittler's record in an NHL match and despite hockey's low scoring trend recently, it's still more high scoring than soccer. 6 goals in a soccer match is like a hockey player scoring 10-12 goals in a pro hockey game. You'd think they'd be capable of marking a guy after at least his 3rd goal. :rotf:
You could be sure that Chinaglia never saw so much open space in the 12 yard box playing in his native Italy.

The MLS would soon enough see steady scores of 6-1, and 7-0 if they just think of expanding for the sake of raking expansion fees...sure some people may think the goals are fun to watch, but not because a game is so one-sided and uncompetitive.

FIFA evokes rules such as the 20 team rule in a top division to protect the integrity of the domestic game in developing soccer areas like North America. (bet they remember the NASL which grew to 24+ teams) Growing up in North America, I thought the relegation and promotion aspect of European leagues was odd, but with the ridiculous expansion of leagues in North America hitting 30+ teams, I think it makes for a better product.

menacetosobriety
Playground Scrub

Post by menacetosobriety » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:29 pm

Television ratings for TFC have been horrible. I see the novelity act wearing off soon!!!

Catssuck
Champion
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Post by Catssuck » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:49 pm

menacetosobriety wrote:Television ratings for TFC have been horrible. I see the novelity act wearing off soon!!!
ArgoTom - is that you?

Dig up a thread from 6 months ago for your first post with nothing to add or contribute.

Ah yeah - we need more posters like you.
On July 13th 2007 Cossack wrote: I agree with the Argo fan.
Thanks for finally coming around Terry - the Ticats do suck.

NYCFLFAN
Superstar

Post by NYCFLFAN » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:24 am

Major League Soccer is alive and well. The league just announced that Portland and Vancouver will be joining MLS in 2011. This will bring the number of teams to 18. So, the idea of MLS crashing and burning is moot.
1995: The Cup Goes South!!!

AngeloV
All Star

Post by AngeloV » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:06 pm

NYCFLFAN wrote:Major League Soccer is alive and well. The league just announced that Portland and Vancouver will be joining MLS in 2011. This will bring the number of teams to 18. So, the idea of MLS crashing and burning is moot.
Perhaps, but there has to be a reason why ESPN pulled the plug on this league.
Hugo has been retired!!!!!

Chief, this information is of the highest security. I insist that we use the cone of silence!

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Post by Inquiring Mind » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:40 pm

Hey hey, lets not get carried away.

According to that beacon of truth and objectivity, argotom, the MLS will be done for come October 2010 at the latest!

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

And just ignore the sellouts in Seattle, and Vancouver and Portland forking over 35-40M a piece for teams in 2011... the league won't even exist by then!

:wink:
-

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Post by Inquiring Mind » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:49 pm

AngeloV wrote:
NYCFLFAN wrote:Major League Soccer is alive and well. The league just announced that Portland and Vancouver will be joining MLS in 2011. This will bring the number of teams to 18. So, the idea of MLS crashing and burning is moot.
Not sure how showing 25 games a year, and being contracted to do so through 2014 is having "pulled the plug"... but, to each their own :lol:
-

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

argolio
Hall of Famer

Post by argolio » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:43 pm

Inquiring Mind wrote:
AngeloV wrote:
Not sure how showing 25 games a year, and being contracted to do so through 2014 is having "pulled the plug"... but, to each their own :lol:
The rumour is they want to pull the plug due to low ratings.

menacetosobriety
Playground Scrub

Post by menacetosobriety » Fri May 22, 2009 5:25 pm

Does anyone else think the level of play in the MLS is horrible?? I honestly think my old high school team could give TFC a run for its money.....tried watching the TFC - Chicago game the other week. Players couldnt make more than two passes in a row without screwing up, can't cross the ball worth *poop*, can't control the ball off their chest when accepting a pass...really sloppy play overall
CBC scored a rating of 56,000 viewers for the game which is pathetic, but I can't blame ppl cause I tried watching but couldnt hack it

Hollywood2
Champion
Favourite Team: Hamilton Tiger Cats

Post by Hollywood2 » Fri May 22, 2009 9:41 pm

I can't believe that the CBC shows MLS. The league has no appeal outside Toronto. The ratings outside Toronto must be almost nothing.
August 8, 1961
HAMILTON TIGER-CATS 38
BUFFALO BILLS 21
The Tiger-Cats are the reigning champions of CFL/NFL football.

Ravi Ramkissoonsingh
Hall of Famer
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Post by Ravi Ramkissoonsingh » Fri May 22, 2009 10:11 pm

Hollywood2 wrote:I can't believe that the CBC shows MLS. The league has no appeal outside Toronto. The ratings outside Toronto must be almost nothing.
CBC will likely try to hang on and hope that ratings pick up when Vancouver and Montreal begin playing in the MLS.
There is one thing that no Argo fan should ever forget - Rob Ford, Doug Ford, Paul Godfrey, Phil Lind and Larry Tanenbaum are all pure evil!