MLS & Toronto FC Cannot Survive

Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Referees

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Re: MLS & Toronto FC Cannot Survive

Post by Inquiring Mind » Sat May 23, 2009 9:29 am

I think CBC is using it largely to gear up for their World Cup coverage.

Probably really cheap too, as they just have to send a crew down to the stadium for home games, and pick up the other teams feed for away games. And they play the games during early afternoons, so I don't imagine the ratings or cost are any worse then skiing or whatever Antique Roadshow reruns they would be playing in that slot otherwise.
-

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Post by Inquiring Mind » Sat May 23, 2009 9:32 am

argolio wrote:
Inquiring Mind wrote:
AngeloV wrote:
NYCFLFAN wrote:Major League Soccer is alive and well. The league just announced that Portland and Vancouver will be joining MLS in 2011. This will bring the number of teams to 18. So, the idea of MLS crashing and burning is moot.
Perhaps, but there has to be a reason why ESPN pulled the plug on this league.
Not sure how showing 25 games a year, and being contracted to do so through 2014 is having "pulled the plug"... but, to each their own :lol:
The rumour is they want to pull the plug due to low ratings.
So it's went from having "pulled the plug" to, a "rumour" they want to, huh? :lol:

They already have a contract inked through 2014, what part of that is so difficult to understand?
-

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

argolio
Hall of Famer

Post by argolio » Mon May 25, 2009 6:39 pm

Inquiring Mind wrote:So it's went from having "pulled the plug" to, a "rumour" they want to, huh? :lol:

They already have a contract inked through 2014, what part of that is so difficult to understand?
Like you said about CBC, I'm guessing the ESPN contract is:
Probably really cheap too
Or could it be even cheaper, like the NHL/NBC deal?

As for ratings, in 2007 MLS averaged 0.2 on ESPN-2. In comparison, a Chelsea-L.A. Galaxy exhibition game from that year did a 1.0.

I was repeating what Bob McCown said a few months ago, and that just may be wishful thinking on his part since he doesn't particularly like soccer, but 0.2 isn't very encouraging.
My name is Argolio, and I approved this post.

Ravi Ramkissoonsingh
Hall of Famer
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Post by Ravi Ramkissoonsingh » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:21 pm

Who needs the MLS? For the second consecutive year, it is looking like Toronto FC is not the best pro team in Canada. It looks like the Vancouver Whitecaps will get those honours unless FC does the improbable and defeats the Impact by at least four goals on June 18th in Montreal.
There is one thing that no Argo fan should ever forget - Rob Ford, Doug Ford, Paul Godfrey, Phil Lind and Larry Tanenbaum are all pure evil!

AngeloV
All Star

Post by AngeloV » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:51 am

Ravi Ramkissoonsingh wrote:Who needs the MLS? For the second consecutive year, it is looking like Toronto FC is not the best pro team in Canada. It looks like the Vancouver Whitecaps will get those honours unless FC does the improbable and defeats the Impact by at least four goals on June 18th in Montreal.
Exactly, Ravi. This is further proof of what a yuppie city T.O. is. When the Lynx were playing in the A-league (now the USL) did they even draw 2,000 per game? Granted, there was no BMO field then, but the MLS was perceived as the big U.S. league. These people flooding BMO field are not necessarily soccer fans, but BMO field is the place to be seen. Just as Blue Jays games were until '95. I don't really pay attention to the waiting list for season tickets, because when the Blue Jays were selling out, they were capping season's tickets at 26,000, and had a huge waiting list. Now, they are at under 10,000 season tickets.
Hugo has been retired!!!!!

Chief, this information is of the highest security. I insist that we use the cone of silence!

Hollywood2
Champion
Favourite Team: Hamilton Tiger Cats

Post by Hollywood2 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:54 pm

I find it funny that Toronto FC can't win against other Canadian teams.

Are there even lower leagues that might claim eligibility for that tournament? It would be funny to see TFC lose to Bob's Corner Store from Winnipeg.
August 8, 1961
HAMILTON TIGER-CATS 38
BUFFALO BILLS 21
The Tiger-Cats are the reigning champions of CFL/NFL football.

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Post by Inquiring Mind » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:30 pm

Hollywood2 wrote:I find it funny that Toronto FC can't win against other Canadian teams.

Are there even lower leagues that might claim eligibility for that tournament? It would be funny to see TFC lose to Bob's Corner Store from Winnipeg.
No, it's not an open championship, just the pro sides.

Some countries have them to varying degrees. In the US I think any team affiliated with the USAF can play, everyone from amateurs to the MLS. England's FA Cup is also very much open, last year I think they had over 750 teams enter theirs iirc.
-

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Post by Inquiring Mind » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:42 pm

argolio wrote:
Inquiring Mind wrote:So it's went from having "pulled the plug" to, a "rumour" they want to, huh? :lol:

Like you said about CBC, I'm guessing the ESPN contract is:
Probably really cheap too
Or could it be even cheaper, like the NHL/NBC deal?

As for ratings, in 2007 MLS averaged 0.2 on ESPN-2. In comparison, a Chelsea-L.A. Galaxy exhibition game from that year did a 1.0.

I was repeating what Bob McCown said a few months ago, and that just may be wishful thinking on his part since he doesn't particularly like soccer, but 0.2 isn't very encouraging.
I'm sure compared to MLB, NFL, NCAA rights it's certainly a pittance for ESPN... I think MLS gets something like 8 mil a year for the 26 games on ESPN. But they also have deals with FSN, and all the teams have their own regional deals (all games are required to be televised in one way or another in the home market).

I'm sure the ratings are bad, but it's cheap programming. I imagine that's why CBC likes it, it's not like anything else they broadcast early Saturday afternoons is going to draw anything. It costs very little to produce, It fills a long timeslot fairly regularly, fulfills their mandate and lays the groundwork for the World Cup, which actually will draw viewers and line their pockets.
-

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Post by Inquiring Mind » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:52 pm

Ravi Ramkissoonsingh wrote:Who needs the MLS? For the second consecutive year, it is looking like Toronto FC is not the best pro team in Canada. It looks like the Vancouver Whitecaps will get those honours unless FC does the improbable and defeats the Impact by at least four goals on June 18th in Montreal.
I still find it funny/sad that the naming rights for the national championship was sold to a pyramid scheme... the trials and tribulations of the CFL are almost pedestrian when compared to the sh**show that is the CSA
-

gadesfan
All Star

Post by gadesfan » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:31 am

Inquiring Mind wrote:
Hollywood2 wrote:I find it funny that Toronto FC can't win against other Canadian teams.

Some countries have them to varying degrees. In the US I think any team affiliated with the USAF can play, everyone from amateurs to the MLS. England's FA Cup is also very much open, last year I think they had over 750 teams enter theirs iirc.
In the US, only MLS clubs can play in CONCACAF Championship qualifiers. And usually they struggle in the actual tournament. They seem to take this tournament as more of an exhibition/side show rather than something worth competing for.

In Canada there is only the 1 MLS team (until 2011) so the USL1 sides get a chance to play for Canada's bid. And the USL1 sides seem to want it more.

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Post by Inquiring Mind » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:57 pm

gadesfan wrote:
Inquiring Mind wrote:

In the US, only MLS clubs can play in CONCACAF Championship qualifiers. And usually they struggle in the actual tournament. They seem to take this tournament as more of an exhibition/side show rather than something worth competing for.

In Canada there is only the 1 MLS team (until 2011) so the USL1 sides get a chance to play for Canada's bid. And the USL1 sides seem to want it more.
Well, firstly, all I was saying was the US had an open championship... which it does

Secondly, you're wrong. Any USAF team, pro or amateur could qualify for the CONCACAF Champions League. The US has fourth births, one of which goes to the winner of the Open Cup. So, any team that wins the Open Cup, gets a spot in the CONCACAF Champions League. It just so happened that an MLS team won the Open Cup last time around, and thus, got the spot... but that spot is essentially up for grabs for any and all takers, pro or amateur.
-

Kanga-Kucha
Superstar

Re:

Post by Kanga-Kucha » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:05 pm

Inquiring Mind wrote:And this has what to do with the CFL? If you want to rail against something, at least do it in the right area.

Moved to the appropriate forum
the only thing I can think of how this would effect the CFL is by giving us empty venues to fill into :good:

Toronto Argonauts, if they like, can use the Toronto FC stadium in a way like Montreal uses Molson should Rogers center ever deteriorate again, or heck, mite be more profitable to play games there than in rogers once the soccer stadium seating is increased to 25,000 or 30,000.
GO BOMBERS AND WINNIPEG JETS!!!
EPTC RKBC COA
Got EVS?

OldFortYork
Playground Hero

Re: Re:

Post by OldFortYork » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:28 am

Kanga-Kucha wrote:
Inquiring Mind wrote:And this has what to do with the CFL? If you want to rail against something, at least do it in the right area.

the only thing I can think of how this would effect the CFL is by giving us empty venues to fill into :good:

Toronto Argonauts, if they like, can use the Toronto FC stadium in a way like Montreal uses Molson should Rogers center ever deteriorate again, or heck, mite be more profitable to play games there than in rogers once the soccer stadium seating is increased to 25,000 or 30,000.
You can forget about the Argos playing at BMO Field.

First off, it would take about $30 million to make the stadium CFL friendly, money that the Argos just don't have.

Secondly, Toronto City council and the board of Governors at Exhibition Place just approved natural grass for the stadium. MLSE will pay $5.5 million for a retrofit of the stadium, move the winter bubble to Lamport, and create an artificial turf field in South Etobicoke for community use.

Kanga-Kucha
Superstar

Post by Kanga-Kucha » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:07 am

OldFortYork wrote:
Kanga-Kucha wrote:

You can forget about the Argos playing at BMO Field.

First off, it would take about $30 million to make the stadium CFL friendly, money that the Argos just don't have.

Secondly, Toronto City council and the board of Governors at Exhibition Place just approved natural grass for the stadium. MLSE will pay $5.5 million for a retrofit of the stadium, move the winter bubble to Lamport, and create an artificial turf field in South Etobicoke for community use.
just a thought, but what else are they gonna do with it if the MLS every goes belly up?
GO BOMBERS AND WINNIPEG JETS!!!
EPTC RKBC COA
Got EVS?

MulderS
Starter

Post by MulderS » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:49 am

OldFortYork wrote: You can forget about the Argos playing at BMO Field.

Well The official city documents state -

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2009 ... -23709.pdf
These amendments were proposed at the Board in order to make clear that nothing in the
proposed LOI respecting BMO Field would have an adverse effect upon the terms
currently permitting the expansion and use of the Soccer Stadium by the Toronto
Argonauts, and also to ensure that the City would have flexibility in respect of the future
use of Allan Lamport Stadium to allow it to be used for professional football. MLSE has
agreed to these amendments to the LOI and they are therefore included as
recommendations in this report.