Big Upcoming Boxing Matches

Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Referees

Dave in Calgary
Superstar

Big Upcoming Boxing Matches

Post by Dave in Calgary » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:47 pm

There are a lot of good matches coming up over the next four months or so. I was just wondering which one(s) other 13thmen and women are most excited about.

Mosley v. Cotto
PBF v. Hatton
Taylor v. Pavlik
Calzage v. Kessler
MAB v. Paciao
Jones v. Trinidad (OK, this one's not that interesting . . . 5-10 years ago it would have been though.)

Any others? I know I'm missing a couple of good ones . . . can't remember the upcoming HW match ups at the moment.

I'm probably most interested in Mosley v. Cotto (I'm a big SSM fan) and then Calzage v. Kessler and Taylor v. Pavlik. I'm also a big MAB fan (his domination of Hamed is one of my all-time faves), but I think he's going to get thumped against the Pacman.
As for your thoughts on Ottawa, it's unfair to the fans to be held accountable for some of the poor management over the years.
-Mark Cohon

Opinions are like nails: the more often you hit them, the deeper they penetrate.
-Chinese Proverb

Alswin
Champion
Favourite Team: Montreal Alouettes

Post by Alswin » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:24 am

I'm looking forward to Montreal fighter Lucian Butte fight Alejandro Berrio for the IBF Super Middleweight title in Montreal on October 19th, hopefully it will be carried on ESPN(vis TSN) for Friday Night Fights!

Dave in Calgary
Superstar

Post by Dave in Calgary » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:43 pm

Yeah, the Butte fight is another to look forward to. I haven't seen In this Corner for a while. I rely on Russ Anber to keep me updated on these things.
As for your thoughts on Ottawa, it's unfair to the fans to be held accountable for some of the poor management over the years.
-Mark Cohon

Opinions are like nails: the more often you hit them, the deeper they penetrate.
-Chinese Proverb

Alswin
Champion

Post by Alswin » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:13 am

Tickets went on sale yesterday for the Butte fight and over 7000 were sold in the first day. Not a bad start, hopefully it will sell out.

Alswin
Champion

Post by Alswin » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:36 am

Bute won the title last night, in front of a crowd of over 13,000 people. Watched it on a French telecast(TVA) with Anber doing the telecast.

Dave in Calgary
Superstar

Post by Dave in Calgary » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:08 pm

I just read about Bute on another site . . . oops I thought the fight was tonight not last night. I heard it was an 11th round TKO, was it good up to that point? Any word on what might be next for Bute?
-Mark Cohon

-Chinese Proverb

Alswin
Champion

Post by Alswin » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:04 am

The fight was good, Berrio is a strong puncher and showed it on Friday night, landing some strong shots but never really hurting Bute. Lucian was much more technical and was probably leading a close card when the ref stopped the fight.
Now he has a mandatory title defense to the IBF no 1 contender within 9 months, but there's also been talk of a fight agaisnt the upcomming Jones jr./Trinidad fight. And further down the road, they will look at a possible match agaisnt one of the other belt holders in Calzaghe or Kessler, who are fighting each other next month.

Dave in Calgary
Superstar

Post by Dave in Calgary » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:20 am

Alswin wrote:The fight was good, Berrio is a strong puncher and showed it on Friday night, landing some strong shots but never really hurting Bute. Lucian was much more technical and was probably leading a close card when the ref stopped the fight.
Now he has a mandatory title defense to the IBF no 1 contender within 9 months, but there's also been talk of a fight agaisnt the upcomming Jones jr./Trinidad fight. And further down the road, they will look at a possible match agaisnt one of the other belt holders in Calzaghe or Kessler, who are fighting each other next month.
Nice, I don't think a match against either Jones or Trinidad would make a whole lot of sense (although the money might be good), but a shot at either Calzaghe or Kessler would be HUGE. :cross:
-Mark Cohon

-Chinese Proverb

Alswin
Champion

Post by Alswin » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:50 am

Dave in Calgary wrote:
Alswin wrote:The fight was good, Berrio is a strong puncher and showed it on Friday night, landing some strong shots but never really hurting Bute. Lucian was much more technical and was probably leading a close card when the ref stopped the fight.
Nice, I don't think a match against either Jones or Trinidad would make a whole lot of sense (although the money might be good), but a shot at either Calzaghe or Kessler would be HUGE. :cross:
Interbox(Bute's promoter) was contacted by Golden Boy productions who represents Librado Andrade, currently ranked 11th by IBF. His only loss was to Kessler, and he has fought in Montreal before, beating Otis Grant.
You're right about Jones/Trinidad, the only reason for that to happen, would be for the money.

Alswin
Champion

Post by Alswin » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:12 pm

Alcine/Mosquera went at it last night, watched it live on SRC(French CBC), it will be replayed on CBC today at 3:30EST for those who might be interested, also on the undercard was Jean Pascal.

Alswin
Champion

Post by Alswin » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:14 pm

Also tonight is Mayweather/Hatton. Should be a good one between unbeatens.

XGamer
Superstar

Post by XGamer » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:20 pm

Alswin wrote:Alcine/Mosquera went at it last night, watched it live on SRC(French CBC), it will be replayed on CBC today at 3:30EST for those who might be interested, also on the undercard was Jean Pascal.
I watched last night....well there goes 2 hours I'll never get back.

Not impressive win for either of them..I wanted a K.O....but 1 stop by ref for Alcine & Pascal win by decision....
Montreal Alouettes season ticket holder since 2004 !

Back-to-Back Grey Cups ('09 & '10) and I witnessed it LIVE from the stands !

Mtl Als Fansite: http://www.goalsgo.com

Alswin
Champion

Post by Alswin » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:57 pm

Alswin wrote:
Dave in Calgary wrote:
Interbox(Bute's promoter) was contacted by Golden Boy productions who represents Librado Andrade, currently ranked 11th by IBF. His only loss was to Kessler, and he has fought in Montreal before, beating Otis Grant.
You're right about Jones/Trinidad, the only reason for that to happen, would be for the money.
Bute will fight William Joppy Feb. 29th at the Bell Centre, should be a good test for Bute.

mecco
Playground Scrub

Re: Big Upcoming Boxing Matches

Post by mecco » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:36 pm

Is this game brodcasted?I want to know because i didn't find any information about this game on tv friday's schedule .

Alswin
Champion

Re: Big Upcoming Boxing Matches

Post by Alswin » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:50 pm

mecco wrote:Is this game brodcasted?I want to know because i didn't find any information about this game on tv friday's schedule .
It's on TVA here in Quebec, if you're a bell subscriber, you could add it to your package. The broadcast gets underway at 10:20 and the fight should start at 10:45. Keep in mind that TVA is not a sports station, so other than Amber, the whole production is very Amateurish. I can't complain too much, atleast I get to see the fight! Joppy is doing a good job at talking smack! Bute will do his talking in the ring. I have seen Joppy fight very well in the past, but I think he's over the hill now to be able to beat Bute.