TFC/Whitecaps

Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Referees

Hollywood2
Champion
Favourite Team: Hamilton Tiger Cats

TFC/Whitecaps

Post by Hollywood2 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:01 pm

I saw on the highlights this morning that TFC tied Vancouver after losing to them. Hgr!

I really hope that TFC loses to Montreal now. But they should have brought back the Winnipeg Fury for this thing. They could have taken it.
August 8, 1961
HAMILTON TIGER-CATS 38
BUFFALO BILLS 21
The Tiger-Cats are the reigning champions of CFL/NFL football.

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Re: TFC/Whitecaps

Post by Inquiring Mind » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:10 pm

You'd have to find someone in Winnipeg that's dumb enough willing to lose money on soccer... judging from the amount of pro soccer played in Winnipeg since the CSL folded, I'm guessing you'll be waiting awhile
-

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

Ravi Ramkissoonsingh
Hall of Famer
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Post by Ravi Ramkissoonsingh » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:45 pm

Hollywood2 wrote:I saw on the highlights this morning that TFC tied Vancouver after losing to them. Hgr!

I really hope that TFC loses to Montreal now. But they should have brought back the Winnipeg Fury for this thing. They could have taken it.
Congratulations to the Montreal Impact for winning the Canadian championship! They tied Toronto FC 1-1 tonight in Toronto which was good enough to give the Impact the title. I wonder how those FC fans who have mocked and derided the Impact and Whitecaps for playing in a "lesser league" feel now. :lol:
There is one thing that no Argo fan should ever forget - Rob Ford, Doug Ford, Paul Godfrey, Phil Lind and Larry Tanenbaum are all pure evil!

Hollywood2
Champion

Post by Hollywood2 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:10 pm

Cool!

So TFC won only one game in 4 tries against two teams from a lower league. HGR!!!!
August 8, 1961
HAMILTON TIGER-CATS 38
BUFFALO BILLS 21

argolio
Hall of Famer

Post by argolio » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:51 pm

Will TSC get relegated from MLS(E) for this?
My name is Argolio, and I approved this post.

argolio
Hall of Famer

Post by argolio » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:55 pm

Ravi Ramkissoonsingh wrote:I wonder how those FC fans who have mocked and derided the Impact and Whitecaps for playing in a "lesser league" feel now. :lol:
Toronto Lady Lynx might be more their size. :wink:

Hollywood2
Champion

Post by Hollywood2 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:07 pm

argolio wrote:Will TSC get relegated from MLS(E) for this?
They should. That's how Euro soccer works. But then the US teams would also have to be subject to that rule.
August 8, 1961
HAMILTON TIGER-CATS 38
BUFFALO BILLS 21

gizmo fan 2
Superstar
Favourite Team: Edmonton Eskimos

Post by gizmo fan 2 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:08 pm

Attaway, Impact! :D

When Edmonton had a team in the A-League I recall the Aviators finishing IIRC 2nd in the inter-Canadian championship series played during the regular season (EDM/CGY/VAN/MTL/TOR Lynx). Was one of the few highlights of that soccer season here. Way to represent USL, MTL. :D
We're cheering Fight Fight Fight On Eskimos...

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Post by Inquiring Mind » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:17 pm

argolio wrote:Will TSC get relegated from MLS(E) for this?
Nope, these leagues don't operate with relegation/promotion.

They've had tournaments like this in the U.S. for years (but with far more teams obviously). One time an A-League team (Rochester) even won it, and often a team from a lesser division competes.

In England they have the FA Cup, and that tournament truly takes all comers, last year they had over 700 entrants... always see some upsets there, last year Barnsley beat world power Liverpool for example.
-

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

argolio
Hall of Famer

Post by argolio » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:34 pm

Just being sarcastic IM, I'm fairly knowledgeable about soccer.

Hey, CBC is replaying the game right now!
1-1 in the 69th minute.
GO TSC!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Post by Inquiring Mind » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:40 pm

Forgive me... your poor taste in Canadian football teams, made me doubt your knowledge of other sorts of football :wink: :tease:
-

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Post by Inquiring Mind » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:07 pm

Looks like the Whitecaps and Impact may not be a rung lower for long... TSN is reporting that the MLS may be announcing significant expansion plans as part of tomorrows All-Star game in Toronto

http://tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=244189&l ... lines_main
-

Ravi Ramkissoonsingh
Hall of Famer
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Post by Ravi Ramkissoonsingh » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:24 pm

Inquiring Mind wrote:Looks like the Whitecaps and Impact may not be a rung lower for long... TSN is reporting that the MLS may be announcing significant expansion plans as part of tomorrows All-Star game in Toronto

http://tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=244189&l ... lines_main
All of this expansion reminds me of the old North American Soccer League. Didn't they get up to 24 teams or so at one point?
There is one thing that no Argo fan should ever forget - Rob Ford, Doug Ford, Paul Godfrey, Phil Lind and Larry Tanenbaum are all pure evil!

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Post by Inquiring Mind » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:47 pm

I believe that's where they peaked at 24, yeah.

Seems odd they've suddenly done such a radical about face after a decade plus of being very stingy when it came to expansion. At least this time around they are looking at largely enveloping established USL teams... but even then I think they should put the brakes on after 20.

To their credit they haven't been giving teams to anybody who can put down a deposit like the NASL did... but if they follow through with adding 10 teams in five years, they're heading into some dangerous territory.

Seattle and Philly are already on board, and Seattle has the solid USL organization... Vancouver and Montreal obviously, but then all I can really think of is Rochester that has a stadium and could make the jump. Maybe Portland, I hear they have backing. But, who knows, TFC is a rousing success and the Lynx weren't exactly a big deal, so obviously being a big deal in the USL isn't the only factor.

I don't know, it'll be interesting. But I guess we should wait for confirmation, all this is just speculation thus far.
-

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Post by Inquiring Mind » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:03 pm

Word is all these lofty plans may not be so... apparently all the stories originated from an item by Team 1040 in Vancouver, and it's now suspected the story is bunk
-