2008 Olympic Baseball

Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Referees

Hollywood2
Champion
Favourite Team: Hamilton Tiger Cats

2008 Olympic Baseball

Post by Hollywood2 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:05 pm

OLYMPIC BASEBALL NEWS AND NOTES

With the Olympic Games coming soon, the various counties are announcing rosters. Here are some links: Team Canada will play the USA four times from August 1st to 4th in North Carolina before both sides head over to China. Once in China, Team Canada will play the Netherlands on August 9th and 10th.

The tournament then begins on August 13th. There are eight teams. They play a round-robin and then the top 4 advance to the sudden-death playoff round.

Canada's games are:
  • Wed–13-August 11:30AM CHINA VS CANADA
    Thurs–14–August 6:00PM CUBA VS CANADA
    Fri–15–August 6:00PM CANADA VS KOREA
    Sat–16–August 10:30AM USA VS CANADA
    Sun–17–August 9:00 – 10:30AM RAIN DAY
    Mon–18–August 10:30AM CANADA VS JAPAN
    Tues–19–August 10:30AM NETHERLANDS VS CANADA
    Wed–20–August 6:00PM CANADA VS CHINESE TAIPEI
    Thurs–21–August Rest Day/Rain
    Fri–22–August 10:30 & 6:00 Semi Final Games
    Sat–23–August 10:30 & 6:00 Medal Round Games
Some names of note (from MLB and prior national teams) on Team Canada are:
  • Stubby Clapp
    Rheal Cormier
    Steve Green
    Mike Johnson
    Peter Orr
    Ryan Radmanovitch
    Chris Reitsma
    Scott Richmond
    Adam Stern
    Albert Swindle
    Scott Thorman
In the 2004 Olympic Games, Team Canada finished 4th after a tough loss to the Cubans in the semi-final round. The Cubans snuffed a late Canadian rally with a spectacular catch which prevented a possible winning home run. Also, the USA failed to qualify for that tournament. They were knocked out in the Pan-Am zones, as Cuba and Canada represented the region.

The host Chinese team is somewhat in over their heads. And the Netherlands may not have qualified through the Pan-Am region. However, the Netherlands always qualify out of Europe had have some wins against all the major countries in various tournaments. The other six are all capable of a top 4 placing. We'll have to see how they play on the field.
August 8, 1961
HAMILTON TIGER-CATS 38
BUFFALO BILLS 21
The Tiger-Cats are the reigning champions of CFL/NFL football.

gizmo fan 2
Superstar
Favourite Team: Edmonton Eskimos

Re: 2008 Olympic Baseball

Post by gizmo fan 2 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:58 am

Go Stubby! :D
We're cheering Fight Fight Fight On Eskimos...

Hollywood2
Champion

Post by Hollywood2 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:46 pm

UPDATES:

Here's what the Chinese Olympic baseball complex looks like:

And there are more related stories and links:

[OFFICIAL SCHEDULE]

[Cuba Announces Their Olympic Team]

[Castro sends message to Cuban Baseball Team]

[Castro Blasts Olympics for Dropping Baseball]

Since leaving politics, maybe Castro can become a good guy and promote baseball world-wide!
Last edited by Hollywood2 on Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
August 8, 1961
HAMILTON TIGER-CATS 38
BUFFALO BILLS 21

argolio
Hall of Famer

Post by argolio » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:10 pm

What, no pics of the Tibet team?
My name is Argolio, and I approved this post.

Hollywood2
Champion

Post by Hollywood2 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:56 pm

More news:

[Japan, US and Cuba chase baseball gold in likely Olympic farewell] - Another story which brings up MLB and its involvement in Olympic baseball.

['I still have that feeling of despair'] - A story from CBC.ca about Stubby Clapp, with pix.

[Orr backs out of Canadian baseball team] - Bad news as Peter Orr will be sticking around to play MLB for the Washington Nationals instead of playing for Team Canada. A big hole to fill for TC.

[Injured Rasmus off U.S. roster] - The Yanks also lose one, namely Colby Rasmus. Tough luck for the family who bought plane tickets, as told in the article.

[Expect the unexpected when Canadian Olympic baseball team plays] - Canada.com story about Terry Puhl's outlook on managing TC this year. Here's a blurb:
The Canadian men's Olympic team plans to play unpredictable baseball as it tries to knock off some of the world powers at the Beijing Olympics next month.

"If you just sit back and wait for things to happen, you're probably going to lose," Canada's field manager, Terry Puhl, said in a conference call Thursday. "There's a time to be aggressive and if I'm going to err, I'm going to err on the more aggressive side."

Puhl will have baserunners moving at odd times and will give his veteran players the green light to run when they feel the situation is right. He will also pinch hit for players who are hitting well in a game, if a pitching matchup is favourable.
August 8, 1961
HAMILTON TIGER-CATS 38
BUFFALO BILLS 21

Hollywood2
Champion

Post by Hollywood2 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:01 pm

argolio wrote:What, no pics of the Tibet team?
That's what the riots were about. Tibet is still part of China!
August 8, 1961
HAMILTON TIGER-CATS 38
BUFFALO BILLS 21

Hollywood2
Champion

Post by Hollywood2 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:58 pm

More stories:

[Green, Swindle poised for Olympic odyssey] - The story is about TC pitchers Steve Green and R.J. Swindle.

Green, a native of Greenfield Park, Quebec, in the metropolitan Montreal area, has been representing Canada in international competition since earning a spot on the 1996 World Junior Championships squad.

He pitched a scoreless ninth inning to preserve Canada's 8-6 upset over the United States in the 2006 WBC's first round, getting Mark Teixeira for the game's final out at Phoenix's Chase Field. Last spring he didn't allow an earned run in 62/3 innings and won two games as Canada went 6-1 in the Olympic qualifying tournament in Taiwan to clinch a berth in the Beijing Games. ...
[Eastern League Notebook: McNiven thrilled to join Team Canada] - This is a story about another TC pitcher, Brooks McNiven. Here's a blurb:

This won’t be the first foray into international competition for McNiven, who participated in baseball’s World Cup in November as well as the Olympic Qualifiers in February. Both were held in Taiwan.

It was during the qualifiers that McNiven, who will wear No. 32, believed he had a legitimate shot at making the Olympic squad. Earlier this month, he got the word from Canada manager Terry Puhl.

“It was such a great relief,” McNiven said. “When I first talked to him, I didn’t know if I could get a word or a sentence out — I was just so happy to hear. I had to call him back later to put it all together.”

His response was nothing compared to that of his family. McNiven called his parents in Vancouver, where they were attending a wedding reception.

“My mom answered and she started screaming, yelling and running all over the place,” he said. “I could hear her in the background yelling to my aunts and uncles.”

The McNiven family will make the trip to Beijing.

With a deep bullpen, McNiven is expected to be part of Canada’s starting rotation, a role which he feels he’s best suited. This season, McNiven has split time between the rotation and pen for Connecticut. He entered Saturday with a 2-2 record and a 1.69 ERA. ...
[Rangers' Frostad ready for Olympics] - This is about catcher Emerson Frostad.

And that's just what Frostad and Team Canada did in the final Olympic Qualifying Tournament in Taiwan in March, going 6-1 to take first place in the tournament. In order to play in the tournament, Frostad had to leave during Spring Training.

Just months later, Team Canada general manager Greg Hamilton informed Frostad that his commitment was being rewarded -- he'd been selected to play for his country in Beijing.

"I got a call from Greg Hamilton, who let me know that I was able to go to the Olympics, so I was pretty excited when I got that call," Frostad said. "The first thing I did was call my parents and let them know I was going."

In addition to the support he received from his family, Frostad's current employer, the Texas Rangers, also stood firmly behind his decision to play in the Games. ...
August 8, 1961
HAMILTON TIGER-CATS 38
BUFFALO BILLS 21

Hollywood2
Champion

Post by Hollywood2 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:40 pm

Jays call up Richmond from TC

The story is [HERE]. Ironically, Richmond made his debut on Wednesday when TC was there to be intorduced to the crowd before heading south for training and a set of games against the Yanks.
August 8, 1961
HAMILTON TIGER-CATS 38
BUFFALO BILLS 21

argolio
Hall of Famer

Post by argolio » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:17 pm

Call him up to a team playing out the string, or let him have a once-in-a-lifetime experience representing his country at the Olympics? How incredibly stupid can these people be??? :?
My name is Argolio, and I approved this post.

Hollywood2
Champion

Post by Hollywood2 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:41 pm

Avery to replace Richmond

So it is Scott Richmond out, and James Avery in. The Canadian Press story as it appears in the G&M is [HERE]. It is basically a trade of a AAA pitcher for a AA pitcher. TC will miss Richmond but hopefully this will work.

National team officials were initially concerned that they might not be able to make the switch because a July 23 deadline for submitting the names of athletes to organizers in China had long passed.

But Wednesday, with the help of the Canadian Olympic Committee, the process was started and all signs suggested it would end successfully.

Avery is 6-7 with a 4.94 ERA in 24 starts for the double-A Chattanooga Lookouts and getting his release from the Reds isn't expected to be an issue, as they had previously agreed to let him play in the Olympics.

It's a deserving turn of fortune for Avery, who allowed a run in four innings of work in the 4-3 win over South Korea back in March that clinched Canada a berth in Beijing.
August 8, 1961
HAMILTON TIGER-CATS 38
BUFFALO BILLS 21

Hollywood2
Champion

Post by Hollywood2 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:40 pm

TEAM CANADA BEATS YANKS
... 1st exhibition game

This win was the opener of a four game pre-Olympic series for both teams, being played in North Carolina. Here are some links to stories: Other stories:
  • [The heat's on Canada's pitchers] - Canadian Press story, linked to the G&M. It deals with the replacement of Pete Orr by Emmanual Garcia and also the lloss of Scott Richmond. There is also information on Chris Begg's rehab. He did not play pro ball this year due to being on the shelf.

[Olympic oversight?] - Jamie Campbell's story from sportsnet.ca on the Blue Jays handling of the Richmond call-up. He sides with the Jays.

[Begg the ace of Canadian staff] - Newdurhamregion.com's story on their local boy, pitcher Chris Begg.

[Clapp stil a fixture on Canada's Olympic team] - John Lott's National Post profile story on Stubby Clapp. It's worth a read. His boy is Stubby IV. And the Memphis Redbirds retired his number. GO STUBBY GO!

[Canadian team gets blessing to add pitcher] - Canadian Press story, also linked to the G&M. It states that the Olympic organizers have allowed the addition of pitcher James Avery.
    ... Avery joins a rotation that includes Chris Begg, Brooks McNiven and Mike Johnson, who is tentatively scheduled to start the Aug. 13 Olympic opener against China.

Jonathan Lockwood, who was slated to be part of the rotation if Richmond couldn't be replaced, moves to the bullpen in a long-man's role.

Avery is 6-7, with a 4.94 earned-run average, in 24 starts for the Double-A Chattanooga Lookouts this season and has plenty of national team experience.
August 8, 1961
HAMILTON TIGER-CATS 38
BUFFALO BILLS 21

Hollywood2
Champion

Post by Hollywood2 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:57 am

Image Image

YANKS DOWN TEAM CANADA
... series now 1-1

CANADA 2
U.S.A. 7

This win was the opener of a four game pre-Olympic series for both teams, being played in North Carolina. Here are some links to stories: Other stories:
August 8, 1961
HAMILTON TIGER-CATS 38
BUFFALO BILLS 21

Hollywood2
Champion

Post by Hollywood2 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:51 am

Catch-up time ...

August 13, 2008

Image CANADA 10
Image CHINA 0

[PLAY BY PLAY] <> [RECAP]
[BEIJING2008.CN STORY] <> [DAY 1 REVIEW] <> [BOX SCORE (pdf)] <> [BASEBALL.CA STORY]

I saw most of the start of the game but then the CBC cpoverage faded to other events once the score got too one-sided. The bonus is that the prime tie-breaker is runs allowed per inning played. Canada has often been eliminated on tie-breakers in recent world events, including the World Baseball Classic when they went 2-1 and were tied for 1st in their pool with Mexico and USA.

OTHER SCORES

Image Image
NETHERLANDS 4
CHINESE TAIPEI 7

Image Image
U.S.A. 7
KOREA 8

Image Image
JAPAN 2
CUBA 4

August 14, 2008

Image CANADA 6
Image CUBA 7

[PLAY BY PLAY] <> [RECAP]
[DAY 2 REVIEW] <> [BASEBALL.CA STORY]

This one was rain delayed which allowed me to see the ending of the game from about 7:00 am onwards while getting ready for work. Canada had a 5-3 lead at one time. But a pair of 2-run HRs gave the Cubans a lead they never surrendered.

OTHER SCORES

Image Image
U.S.A. 7
NETHERLANDS 0

Image Image
CHINA 0
KOREA 0

Postponed due to rain after 6 innings, to be completed on Sunday.

Image Image
JAPAN 6
CHINESE TAIPEI 1

IMPORTANT LINKS

[CBC OLYMPIC PAGE] - They have live streaming of several events all at once, so even if coverage on TV switches to rhythmic gymnastics, you can click on baseball, basketball, women's beach volleyball, or something else and watch on your computer until TV switches back.

[IBAF OLYMPIC PAGE] - This page has links to the play-by-play page on every game, which has live updates and after the game has full box scores. It also links to a story on each game.

[IBAF MAIN PAGE] - Scores are updated as well on the IBAF main page.

[USABASEBALL.COM] - The USA's official site.

[BASEBALL.CA] - Baseball Canada's official site.
August 8, 1961
HAMILTON TIGER-CATS 38
BUFFALO BILLS 21

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Post by Inquiring Mind » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:47 pm

The loss to Korea today is going to hurt... no room for mistakes left and they're probably going to have to beat at least one of Japan and/or the U.S. to get to the medal round

No small task
-

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

Hollywood2
Champion

Post by Hollywood2 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:38 pm

August 15, 2008

Image KOREA 1
Image CANADA 0

[PLAY BY PLAY] <> [SUMMARY] <> [RECAP]
[BASEBALL.CA STORY] <> [CANADA.COM STORY]

I saw the ending of this early morning (our time) tilt. What can you say about a 1-0 loss? The Koreans scored the only run on a solo HR with two outs. Canada ended the game with runners stranded on 1st and 3rd. When there was one out it looked like young Brent Lawrie had a sacrifice fly. But the runner was held. Good choice, since the right fielder for Korea threw home and would have had him.

OTHER SCORES

Image Image
CHINESE TAIPEI 7
CHINA 8

[PLAY-BY-PLAY] <> [SUMMARY] <> [RECAP]

This one was tied 3-3 after 11 innings. Taipei scored 4 runs in the top of the 12th and China followed with 5 of their own in the bottom half to steal the win. Chairman Mao vs Sung Yat Sen all over again. This loss could hurt the Taiwanese since China appeared to be a bit of a gimme after being thrashed by TC.

Image Image
CUBA 5
U.S.A. 4

This was another extra inning thriller. The Cuban win provided a sweep for the Commies. Since the USA next plays Canada it sets up a pair of 1-2 teams, both of whom have a pair of one-run losses to Cuba and Korea along with a shut-out of a lesser light. Hmmm.

Image Image
NETHERLANDS 0
JAPAN 6

That's 3 straight shut-outs for the Dutch. That must be a record.

LINK

[OFFICIAL SCORES AND STANDINGS]
August 8, 1961
HAMILTON TIGER-CATS 38
BUFFALO BILLS 21