Olympics 'kick-off' in less than 12 hrs

Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6576
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:24 pm

Olympics 'kick-off' in less than 12 hrs

Post by Inquiring Mind » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:48 pm

Just a reminder for any other Olympic junkies out there, the Opening Ceremonies may still be a couple days away, but Soccer actually kicks off late-tonight, early tomorrow... so have your PVR's tuned up!

CBC will be showing games involving Canada, and MSNBC ones involving the States

I'm stoked, can't wait to hear that great Olympic Theme CBC uses...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSMfiY3_D-g
-

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

User avatar
Hymie
All Star
Posts: 739
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2002 1:28 pm
Location: Barrie, Ontario

Re: Olympics 'kick-off' in less than 12 hrs

Post by Hymie » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:59 pm

I'm looking forward to it. Every four years it's nice to see the sports I enjoy that the American professional sport obsessed media in this country ignore the other three years and fifty weeks. It's going to be a lean Olympics for Canada but being a paddle sport enthusiast (I'm more recreational than competitive) I'm looking for big things from Van Koeverden and the Men's Rowing eights. And the games have gottin of to a pretty good start. Canada beat Argentina in women's soccer :thup: and Norway beat the Yanks :rotf: . Things are looking good.
The CFL is alive and well
We don't need the NFL

User avatar
iso_55
Legend
Posts: 23849
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:06 pm
Location: Calgary

Re: Olympics 'kick-off' in less than 12 hrs

Post by iso_55 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:07 pm

The Olympics are way too political for me. Cost too much money. I find I'm watching them less & less every 4 years. So far, not one minute's worth. And the way Canada is going (0-0-0... no medals), I'm not missing much. Not interested in watching one of our athletes finish 8th or 24th...
I've got soul but I'm not a soldier.

User avatar
greycupgarry
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Posts: 18242
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:15 am
Location: Sect. 217 Fav. Teams: Argos, Leafs, Stamps, Flames, Patriots, Browns, Storm, Holland
Contact:

Re: Olympics 'kick-off' in less than 12 hrs

Post by greycupgarry » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:50 pm

iso_55 wrote:The Olympics are way too political for me. Cost too much money. I find I'm watching them less & less every 4 years. So far, not one minute's worth. And the way Canada is going (0-0-0... no medals), I'm not missing much. Not interested in watching one of our athletes finish 8th or 24th...
So, you are only interested in watching sports if your team is dominant. Doesn't matter if world records are broken. Doesn't matter is finishes go to the wire. The drama doesn't intrigue you? Other countries in the world mean squat if an athlete performs things that are phenomenal to the norm. It's all about your favourites? Oh, wait. Forgot you were a HUGE curling fan. Never mind this post then. I'm mistaken. Thought for a moment you weren't a fan of sports. Must have been thinking of someone else.
if you have noticed this notice you will have noticed that this notice is not worth noticing

User avatar
Sir Purrcival
Superstar
Posts: 2305
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2003 3:36 pm
Location: Port Moody - BC

Re: Olympics 'kick-off' in less than 12 hrs

Post by Sir Purrcival » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:39 am

I do wish that Canada would put a little more effort into helping our Athlete's perform better. It is embarrassing to see things like this when you consider how well off this country is compared to some of the others. It seems that Canada is the only country to host the Olympics and have never won a Gold medal on home soil. That is really pretty sad when you think about it.

Men's Water Polo

I was really shocked yesterday that the entire Canadian boxing team consists of 1 boxer.
Lest We Forget!

User avatar
greycupgarry
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Posts: 18242
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:15 am
Location: Sect. 217 Fav. Teams: Argos, Leafs, Stamps, Flames, Patriots, Browns, Storm, Holland
Contact:

Re: Olympics 'kick-off' in less than 12 hrs

Post by greycupgarry » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:03 am

Sir Purrcival wrote:I do wish that Canada would put a little more effort into helping our Athlete's perform better. It is embarrassing to see things like this when you consider how well off this country is compared to some of the others. It seems that Canada is the only country to host the Olympics and have never won a Gold medal on home soil. That is really pretty sad when you think about it.

Men's Water Polo

I was really shocked yesterday that the entire Canadian boxing team consists of 1 boxer.
Maybe, just maybe it costs a little more to support the infastructure, (roads, highways, rails, harbours, the beautiful national parks, etc.) when you have 35 million people in a country the size of ours when other countries have population and tax base even larger than ours but only have to maintain a land the size of Nova Scotia or smaller.
if you have noticed this notice you will have noticed that this notice is not worth noticing

User avatar
Sir Purrcival
Superstar
Posts: 2305
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2003 3:36 pm
Location: Port Moody - BC

Re: Olympics 'kick-off' in less than 12 hrs

Post by Sir Purrcival » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:27 am

That explanation only runs so far in my books. Sure it costs money to maintain an infrastructure but we are one of the richest countries in the world and enjoy one of the highest standards of living. Our performances on the world sports stage don't even come close to reflecting that. Australia is a good example. An Island nation, roughly 2/3rds our population, roughly the same age and they consistently outperform us by a wide margin.
Our medals total placed us:
21st in Athens.
24th in Sidney
21st in Atlanta.


No, when our overall level of performance (Summer Olympics Only) puts us behind countries like Greece, Poland, Romania and so on and often only puts us just ahead of countries like Bulgaria or Belarus, there is something not quite healthy in the the way we support sport in this country. I don't think shovelling money is the total answer but it is part of the problem. That is why I hate to see things for this 2010 that indicate that this country is going to push hard for a high medal count because we are the host nation. After it is over, you wonder if it going to be business as usual again with funding dispensed by eye dropper.

As for the Men's water polo stat. No disrespect intended to those who have competed but not scoring a goal in 8 Olympic Games??? 32 Years?? That is an Olympic record that is not likely to be ever broken and we own it. That is not just losing but not scoring even 1 goal! That becomes pretty hard to take even if you are only a fan of your country and not the specific sport. 35 million and we can only field 1 boxer who isn't even an up and comer. He hung on just so he could compete in this Olympics and got completely smoked in his first match.

I am very proud of those who train and represent our country to the best of their ability. I only wish that as a nation, we could put some more focus on these endeavours. It isn't money wasted. I would much rather see more $$ going to support amateur sport than some of the other things we fund.
Lest We Forget!

User avatar
Marty_Gades
Superstar
Posts: 2023
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 3:04 pm
Location: Gloucester Teams: Renegades, Senators, Blue Jays, Raptors, Bills

Re: Olympics 'kick-off' in less than 12 hrs

Post by Marty_Gades » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:15 am

Sir Purrcival wrote:It seems that Canada is the only country to host the Olympics and have never won a Gold medal on home soil. That is really pretty sad when you think about it.
For the Summer Games, Canada (1976) is the only one to fully host the Games and not win a gold. The only other one is Sweden (1956), but they only hosted equestrian events at the time. Australia hosted the strong majority of those Games.

As for the Winter Games, France (1924), Switzerland (1928), Yugoslavia (1984), and Canada (1988) never won Gold in their respective years.

And for the discussion at hand, this is just my opinion, but I think the best thing that could happen to a lot of Canadian sports (the ones competed internationally, anyway) is if they were no longer government controlled and funded, and simply handled privately. This discussion reminds me of whenever a lot of friends of mine who happen to be soccer fans want the CSA to be sacked due to the lack of success. The CSA isn't the main problem (although the size of them, as well as other sports associations, doesn't help). It's the government side of it. Sport Canada's offices are actually in the same building I work in, and they're not even a department of the Government of Canada; they're simply only a portion of it. Hell, that "portion" might not even equal the branch that I work in as far as size goes. There is no way a section of government that small is going to get much money to spend on its athletes. On top of that, they also fund groups like the CSA with the little money they have. And people wonder why the CSA is inefficient; it's because there isn't much efficiency from that section of government due to its size and focus.

It's a lot like the HNIC theme debate. One can argue that it's just a song, CBC was right not to put public money into it. The other argument is that song has gone through a number of generations and has become part of Canadian history, so why shouldn't the Government own it? CTV decided to take advantage of the former and make use of its money and run with it. It's getting to that point for international sports. I think if the Government decided to really expand its focus on international sports, things could change for Canada, but that's a really big if. Things really aren't going to change, though, under its current structure, with sports being a very miniscule part of the government as it is.
We'll be back. You'll see.

kcin94
Rookie
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:37 pm
Location: North Vancouver

Re: Olympics 'kick-off' in less than 12 hrs

Post by kcin94 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:48 pm

Sir Purrcival wrote:That explanation only runs so far in my books. Sure it costs money to maintain an infrastructure but we are one of the richest countries in the world and enjoy one of the highest standards of living. Our performances on the world sports stage don't even come close to reflecting that. Australia is a good example. An Island nation, roughly 2/3rds our population, roughly the same age and they consistently outperform us by a wide margin.
Our medals total placed us:
21st in Athens.
24th in Sidney
21st in Atlanta.


No, when our overall level of performance (Summer Olympics Only) puts us behind countries like Greece, Poland, Romania and so on and often only puts us just ahead of countries like Bulgaria or Belarus, there is something not quite healthy in the the way we support sport in this country. I don't think shovelling money is the total answer but it is part of the problem. That is why I hate to see things for this 2010 that indicate that this country is going to push hard for a high medal count because we are the host nation. After it is over, you wonder if it going to be business as usual again with funding dispensed by eye dropper.

As for the Men's water polo stat. No disrespect intended to those who have competed but not scoring a goal in 8 Olympic Games??? 32 Years?? That is an Olympic record that is not likely to be ever broken and we own it. That is not just losing but not scoring even 1 goal! That becomes pretty hard to take even if you are only a fan of your country and not the specific sport. 35 million and we can only field 1 boxer who isn't even an up and comer. He hung on just so he could compete in this Olympics and got completely smoked in his first match.

I am very proud of those who train and represent our country to the best of their ability. I only wish that as a nation, we could put some more focus on these endeavours. It isn't money wasted. I would much rather see more $$ going to support amateur sport than some of the other things we fund.

User avatar
Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6576
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: Olympics 'kick-off' in less than 12 hrs

Post by Inquiring Mind » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:24 am

If anyone catches a replay of the Canada/Cuba baseball game, try to catch the bottom of the 1st... Stubby Clapp makes an insane play for the third out. If the flip itself wasn't enough, watch where he came from to make it.
-

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

User avatar
Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6576
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: Olympics 'kick-off' in less than 12 hrs

Post by Inquiring Mind » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:51 pm

Canada is finally on the board... Carol Huynh has at least a silver going into her womens wrestling final... and Tonya Verbeek could add another as she's in the semi's

I was looking at the SI predictions of 15 medals, and looks like Huynh was the first one they picked that events has actually had it's final. So, as much as results have been veeeeery slow coming, I guess they're not really all that behind where they should be.
-

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

Lerriuqs
Legend
Posts: 10714
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:47 pm

Re: Olympics 'kick-off' in less than 12 hrs

Post by Lerriuqs » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:55 pm

Inquiring Mind wrote:Canada is finally on the board... Carol Huynh has at least a silver going into her womens wrestling final... and Tonya Verbeek could add another as she's in the semi's

I was looking at the SI predictions of 15 medals, and looks like Huynh was the first one they picked that events has actually had it's final. So, as much as results have been veeeeery slow coming, I guess they're not really all that behind where they should be.
That's been pretty normal - at this point, they maybe have 3 or 4 medals and then they start to really collect them this weekend and beyond...

User avatar
Gill The Thrill
Superstar
Posts: 1797
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:22 am
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Re: Olympics 'kick-off' in less than 12 hrs

Post by Gill The Thrill » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:27 pm

Canada will finally win a medal at 4:50 a.m EDST, when a female wrestler wrestles in the final of her event.

That means Canada will have tied Togo :o in the medal standings. :yahoo: :canada:

Lerriuqs
Legend
Posts: 10714
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:47 pm

Re: Olympics 'kick-off' in less than 12 hrs

Post by Lerriuqs » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:19 pm

Inquiring Mind wrote:Canada is finally on the board... Carol Huynh has at least a silver going into her womens wrestling final... and Tonya Verbeek could add another as she's in the semi's

I was looking at the SI predictions of 15 medals, and looks like Huynh was the first one they picked that events has actually had it's final. So, as much as results have been veeeeery slow coming, I guess they're not really all that behind where they should be.
Is that online or is it from the magazine only? If it's online, link please? :wink:

User avatar
Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6576
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: Olympics 'kick-off' in less than 12 hrs

Post by Inquiring Mind » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:21 pm

Lerriuqs wrote:
Inquiring Mind wrote:Canada is finally on the board... Carol Huynh has at least a silver going into her womens wrestling final... and Tonya Verbeek could add another as she's in the semi's

I was looking at the SI predictions of 15 medals, and looks like Huynh was the first one they picked that events has actually had it's final. So, as much as results have been veeeeery slow coming, I guess they're not really all that behind where they should be.
Is that online or is it from the magazine only? If it's online, link please? :wink:
What? You don't know how to work google?!?!

Geesh, I have to do everything around here... :wink:

Full list - http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/o ... index.html

Canadians - http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blog ... edals.aspx
-

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest