How would famous Canadians fare in today's 100m?

Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Referees

Post Reply
User avatar
shayman
Starter
Posts: 433
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:56 am
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts
Location: Argos Band
Contact:

How would famous Canadians fare in today's 100m?

Post by shayman » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:31 pm

After marvelling at tonight's Olympic 100m race won by Jamaica's Usain Bolt in a blazing 9.69, I got thinking about how great Canadian sprinters of the past would have done in today's race. Of course you can't really make direct comparisons like this for a hundred reasons, but let's do it anyway.

Here are this year's results:

http://stats.cbc.ca/olympics_results.as ... &sport=RUN

Usain Bolt won in a new world record time of 9.69.
The 2nd place guy - Richard Thompson - ran 9.89.

Which means that Donovan Bailey (9.84, 1996) and Ben Johnson (*) (9.79, 1988) would have won silver. Pretty respectable. By my math, Johnson would have been about one metre behind Bolt, and Bailey 1.5 metres.

But most interestingly to me, the late, great Harry Jerome set the world record of 10.0 in 1960 - and with that time, and even with 48 years of progress by the rest of the world, and modern developments in training, and new equipment, and new coaching, and all that- he would have finished seventh this year. Just amazing.



(* I know, I know, Ben Johnson, etc, this is just a thought experiment.)
I helped pay for it, I'm calling it "Skydome."

User avatar
Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6576
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: How would famous Canadians fare in today's 100m?

Post by Inquiring Mind » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:45 pm

His time may be blazing... but he was hot dogging the last 25 metres, and that time was into a headwide

Bolt is just a freak of nature... he could run in the low 9.5's if he ever wants too.
-

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

User avatar
Gill The Thrill
Superstar
Posts: 1797
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:22 am
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Re: How would famous Canadians fare in today's 100m?

Post by Gill The Thrill » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:34 pm

Inquiring Mind wrote:His time may be blazing... but he was hot dogging the last 25 metres, and that time was into a headwideBolt is just a freak of nature... he could run in the low 9.5's if he ever wants too.
I think everybody is exaggerating about his hot-dogging. I don't think he slowed down at all toward the end. With that being said, I am still not convinced about the legitimacy of track for the last 20 years. Especially since we've learned that positive tests on Carl Lewis were covered up because either the IOC, US Olympic Committe, or probably both did not want to ruin the moment. Let's not be naive, if the guys are all running clean, why are times not slowing down. :?  :?  :?  :? 

I personally think the animal rights groups in Canada should really pressure the COC such as other rights groups do, and lobby for Canada to send a Cougar to run the 100 m in the next Olympics. :beauty:  :canada:  Nothing would attract viewers more than to watch an IOC beuracrat attempting to put a Gold medal on a hungry cougar on the podium :rotf: . If you think that might upset the cougar, howabout the damn flowers that they're giving the medal winners. :lol:

PS. Anybody get a look at the rowing eights teams collecting their medals. Was it me, or were some of the guys miffed at why a middle-aged man was handing them a boca of flowers, :o instead of one of the lovely local young women assistants that were giving the flowers to the guy handing the medals. Talkabout political correctness running amok, even in China. :roll:

User avatar
Hymie
All Star
Posts: 739
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2002 1:28 pm
Location: Barrie, Ontario

Re: How would famous Canadians fare in today's 100m?

Post by Hymie » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:33 pm

Gill The Thrill wrote:
PS. Anybody get a look at the rowing eights teams collecting their medals. Was it me, or were some of the guys miffed at why a middle-aged man was handing them a boca of flowers, :o instead of one of the lovely local young women assistants that were giving the flowers to the guy handing the medals. Talkabout political correctness running amok, even in China. :roll:
No, I never noticed that at all. All I noticed was the joy of winning after four years of hard work. I'm sure they couldn't of cared less who gave them flowers.

Now back on topic. It is interesting to see how times have drop in several sports. In almost a hundred years, the men's hundred meter record hasn't drop a full second. Yet in swimming, winning times from 8 or 12 years ago likely wouldn't even qualify you for the games now a days.
The CFL is alive and well
We don't need the NFL

User avatar
Gill The Thrill
Superstar
Posts: 1797
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:22 am
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Re: How would famous Canadians fare in today's 100m?

Post by Gill The Thrill » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:37 pm

Hymie wrote:
Gill The Thrill wrote: PS. Anybody get a look at the rowing eights teams collecting their medals. Was it me, or were some of the guys miffed at why a middle-aged man was handing them a boca of flowers, :o  instead of one of the lovely local young women assistants that were giving the flowers to the guy handing the medals. Talkabout political correctness running amok, even in China. :roll:
No, I never noticed that at all. All I noticed was the joy of winning after four years of hard work. I'm sure they couldn't of cared less who gave them flowers.Now back on topic. It is interesting to see how times have drop in several sports. In almost a hundred years, the men's hundred meter record hasn't drop a full second. Yet in swimming, winning times from 8 or 12 years ago likely wouldn't even qualify you for the games now a days.
Swimming times may be affected by several factors, the new suits that are more aerodynamic, but even more of a factor, the depth of the water in Beijing. Olympic swimming pools have always been 2 metres in depth, in Beijing, the pool is 3 metres deep and the bouyancy may also be improved because of a lighter compound that is used to treat the water. I'm know expert, but many that know swimming claim that it is having an effect on how fast the swimmers are moving.

As for the rowers, if you've recorded it. Have a more accurate look before making your holier than thou statement. The American rower beside the Canadian coxman recieves his medal first and has a smirked chuckle with the Canadian when much to his amazement, he's given the flowers by the same goof who gave him his medal. In the past, after the medal was handed by the IOC delegate, the boca of flowers was then HANDED OUT TO THE ATHLETE, BY THE WOMEN, AS IS CUSTOM. You're self-righteousnous about seeing their happiness after 4 years of hard work is hardly righteous at all in the whole scope of life. What's more righteous and should be more noticed in our society is the joy of people building a home and a family, after struggling financially on thier own, without pouting for more funding from the federal government like most of these Olympians, whom already come from privileged upper-middle class backgrounds. Now that's what I would term, noticeable joy after much more than 4 years of hard work. :beer:

I enjoy the Olympics as a competition but I'm very cynical about the political aspect of the Olympic movement, which to me seems very hypocritical when you hear nightmares about local peasants and homeless being displaced in order for the venues being built. This is why my comments are sometimes tinged with skepticism with regards to the achievements during the games. I enjoy the spectacle, but I'm always skeptical of what I'm witnessing since I've seen how tainted the results in the past have been....Enjoy the rest of the games, I'll try. :beer:

User avatar
iso_55
Legend
Posts: 23849
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:06 pm
Location: Calgary

Re: How would famous Canadians fare in today's 100m?

Post by iso_55 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:57 pm

Wow GTT, you get booted off an Oly team? What's your gripe??
I've got soul but I'm not a soldier.

User avatar
Ron
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Posts: 8757
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2002 2:18 pm

Re: How would famous Canadians fare in today's 100m?

Post by Ron » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:03 pm

shayman wrote:After marvelling at tonight's Olympic 100m race won by Jamaica's Usain Bolt in a blazing 9.69, I got thinking about how great Canadian sprinters of the past would have done in today's race. Of course you can't really make direct comparisons like this for a hundred reasons, but let's do it anyway.

Here are this year's results:

http://stats.cbc.ca/olympics_results.as ... &sport=RUN

Usain Bolt won in a new world record time of 9.69.
The 2nd place guy - Richard Thompson - ran 9.89.

Which means that Donovan Bailey (9.84, 1996) and Ben Johnson (*) (9.79, 1988) would have won silver. Pretty respectable. By my math, Johnson would have been about one metre behind Bolt, and Bailey 1.5 metres.

But most interestingly to me, the late, great Harry Jerome set the world record of 10.0 in 1960 - and with that time, and even with 48 years of progress by the rest of the world, and modern developments in training, and new equipment, and new coaching, and all that- he would have finished seventh this year. Just amazing.



(* I know, I know, Ben Johnson, etc, this is just a thought experiment.)
Ben Johnson applies. His only crime was being stupid enough to get caught.

Look at Bolt. Does exactly what Ben did. Easily runs to a 100 record and celebrates before he even crosses the line. (who can forget Ben raising his arm 3 strides before the line)

Bolt is more generous though. Once he saw how well his juice worked in the 100 ... he was nice enough to give it to the women's 100 team :devil:
Contrary to popular belief, the most dangerous animal is not the lion or tiger or even the elephant. The most dangerous animal is a shark riding on an elephant, just trampling and eating everything they see.

User avatar
iso_55
Legend
Posts: 23849
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:06 pm
Location: Calgary

Re: How would famous Canadians fare in today's 100m?

Post by iso_55 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:29 am

Funny how Carl Lewis never tested positive. You know the Americans were never clean.
I've got soul but I'm not a soldier.

User avatar
ticatfan
Superstar
Posts: 1631
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:29 am
Location: Toronto

Re: How would famous Canadians fare in today's 100m?

Post by ticatfan » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:37 am

I ran a 12.5 in grade 10. No juice.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest