Americas Army Version 2.8 is out with a *Bonus*

Talk about the Pick em Pool, CFL Fantasy Football, or Computer Gaming.

Moderator: Referees

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Americas Army Version 2.8 is out with a *Bonus*

Post by BBBob » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:53 pm

You can get either the full 2559.21 MB file (gag) or the 2.7-2.8 update patch 267 meg - HERE.

More info here:
http://www.americasarmy.com/

This will be the last version before moving to the 3.0 series (IIRC) which will utilize the new Unreal Engine.
Santa is early this year. America's Army: Special Forces 2.8 Coalition has been released just before Christmas! This new patch contains the following new features:

* AA Mission Editor
Modify existing levels and/or create new levels using any of the existing art, sound, particle effects and gameplay assets created by the Dev Team.

* Mission Depot
Only maps submitted to Mission Depot (http://www.aamissiondepot.com) will be reviewed and certified for approval to become official America's Army honor maps.
* 2 Map Tutorials
These explain the basic UnrealEd Tools and define the America's Army mission creation process.
* Bug fixes
Lots of bugs are fixed
Enjoy! :D

:beer:

ArgoDave
Legend
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts
Location: Sitting in my chair, being a swell guy loved by all...

Re: Americas Army Version 2.8 is out with a *Bonus*

Post by ArgoDave » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:32 pm

BBBob wrote:This will be the last version before moving to the 3.0 series (IIRC) which will utilize the new Unreal Engine.
Do you know what the System Requirements will be for the next version? I'm pushing my old box now with this version.
Gord for Mayor of Swaggerville!

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Post by BBBob » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:51 pm

ArgoDave wrote:
BBBob wrote:This will be the last version before moving to the 3.0 series (IIRC) which will utilize the new Unreal Engine.
Do you know what the System Requirements will be for the next version? I'm pushing my old box now with this version.
Not at this time Dave, however it would be fair to guess that you may need to upgrade to get decent FPS.

For example, can you play SF Steamroller and SnakePlain online? I could not with my old system, I was getting like 5 FPS - seriously. :?
If those two maps give you very low FPS, I would bet that AA V3 will be even worse for FPS.

We'll see though pal!

If and when you upgrade Dave, I highly suggest that you consider the Intel Core 2 Duo... wicked, wicked fast and very over-clockable. I have the low end Core 2 Duo - the 2X 1.86 ghz and folks are running it at 3.0 ghz and above with the factory heat sink... add a good aftermarket heatsink and you can really OC these puppies!

ArgoDave
Legend

Post by ArgoDave » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:47 pm

BBBob wrote:
ArgoDave wrote:
Not at this time Dave, however it would be fair to guess that you may need to upgrade to get decent FPS.

For example, can you play SF Steamroller and SnakePlain online? I could not with my old system, I was getting like 5 FPS - seriously. :?
If those two maps give you very low FPS, I would bet that AA V3 will be even worse for FPS.

We'll see though pal!

If and when you upgrade Dave, I highly suggest that you consider the Intel Core 2 Duo... wicked, wicked fast and very over-clockable. I have the low end Core 2 Duo - the 2X 1.86 ghz and folks are running it at 3.0 ghz and above with the factory heat sink... add a good aftermarket heatsink and you can really OC these puppies!

My FPS on most AA maps varies between 15-30+ depending on map. But yeah I really can't upgrade this box anymore I'm gonna have to bite the bullet on a new box within a year or so. Was hoping to wait until after the 2007 GC cuz I need my extra cash for that.

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Post by BBBob » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:05 pm

ArgoDave wrote:My FPS on most AA maps varies between 15-30+ depending on map. But yeah I really can't upgrade this box anymore I'm gonna have to bite the bullet on a new box within a year or so. Was hoping to wait until after the 2007 GC cuz I need my extra cash for that.
Well I'm guessing that we'll be lucky to see AA V3.0 by the end of the year - just a guess - so you should be alright for awhile. :thup:

Big J
Hall of Famer

Post by Big J » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:51 am

HOOAH! I'm back in business. Dropped an extra 512 megs of ram into my machine and upgraded my woefully old and slow vid card to a newer, not quite so slow vid card and AA seems to run OK again. I've only had time to finish Basic Training so far but it's been smooth as silk. Also, i'm still wicked accurate, 39/40 on the rifle range and perfect scores through all of the US weapon training. :yahoo:

ArgoDave
Legend

Post by ArgoDave » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:10 am

Big J wrote:HOOAH! I'm back in business. Dropped an extra 512 megs of ram into my machine and upgraded my woefully old and slow vid card to a newer, not quite so slow vid card and AA seems to run OK again. I've only had time to finish Basic Training so far but it's been smooth as silk. Also, i'm still wicked accurate, 39/40 on the rifle range and perfect scores through all of the US weapon training. :yahoo:
Oh, is that why you stopped playing J? Couldn't you just reactivate yor old account? 39/40 is darn good, best I ever did was 37 IIRC.

Big J
Hall of Famer

Post by Big J » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:25 am

Ya somewhere around middle of last year it just got to slow for me to handle. I figured I'd use a new account until I get back in to shape, then I'll likely go back to my old one (62 Honor).

XGamer
Superstar
Favourite Team: Montreal Alouettes

Post by XGamer » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:34 am

BBBob,

I'm really into the BattleField 1942 series...is this game similar game-wise ?

How would you compare them ?
Montreal Alouettes season ticket holder since 2004 !

Back-to-Back Grey Cups ('09 & '10) and I witnessed it LIVE from the stands !

Mtl Als Fansite: http://www.goalsgo.com

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Post by BBBob » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:56 pm

XGamer wrote:BBBob,

I love BF Vietnam! Only problem is, I built a new PC and cannot install it because disc 3 got scratched some how. I'm going to try and polish out the scratch with toothpaste asap - I miss playing some BFV online! I don't have the newer BF2 games.

XGamer - AA is kinda' like BF - but is much more realistic.
For example:
  • You can actually use the sight on your weapon to aim - and it is recommended to do so as you will be MUCH more accurate.
  • Grenades are far more realistic and fun to use in AA than in BF - you can easily gauge how far to throw nades in AA, you can "cook" nades in AA, by that I mean that you can pull the pin, drop the spoon and wait a few secs before tossing the nade in order to get an airburst or to hit a target nearby.
  • Dying in AA is realistic - when you die you do NOT respawn. You must wait for the round to end. Fyi, the rounds on the various maps range from 7 - 10 minutes.
  • Sound in AA is critical - using headphones and a decent sound card is highly recommended - hearing approaching footsteps through the noise of battle can be the difference between being surprised and surprising the enemy.
XGamer, I recommend downloading and installing AA, heck for free you cannot go wrong! You do need a higher end system to get the most out of the game, plus you have to do some training (!) in order to play the game and to use some weapons (advanced marksman training = sniper rifles for example), but the training isn't too hard or time consuming and you need not do it all at once. Fyi - AA has pretty clean netcode - I played AA online for almost 4 years with a skinny 56 K connection and an average ping of 350 and I was very competitive with the high-speed players. (!!!)

There is a stat tracking system built into AA now, and there is a unofficial site that has a much more comprehensive stat tracking system, for example here are my stats at this site.

BF is an arcade like experience that provides quick (mindless?) fun. AA is a simulation that is easy to learn and hard to master that provides a very intense experience.

If you need any help with AA XGamer, feel free to post here or a PM.

You can download AA here.

phpbb_!

PS: Big J, GREAT to hear that you are back and running with AA! You MUST try out the map Border, a great newer map!

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Post by BBBob » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:16 pm

Btw, I was WRONG about this being that last version before the new 3.0 version of the game, there will be some update version before 3.0. An update ought to be out soon (2.81?).

ArgoDave
Legend

Post by ArgoDave » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:30 pm

XGamer wrote:BBBob,

If you want realism in a wargame then AA:O is for you. Only problem is if you get a cheater on a server, but most times it's pretty fun. I used to play it like an addict every night, not so much anymore. Too many of the 'regulars' have moved on to a different game or maps I don't like.

XGamer
Superstar
Favourite Team: Montreal Alouettes

Post by XGamer » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:22 pm

Ok, I'll give it a try...

So is AA more fun than Socom on PS2 or comparable ??
Montreal Alouettes season ticket holder since 2004 !

Back-to-Back Grey Cups ('09 & '10) and I witnessed it LIVE from the stands !

Mtl Als Fansite: http://www.goalsgo.com

Big J
Hall of Famer

Post by Big J » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:42 pm

I haven't played Socom so I can't really compare the two, but AA is about the most realistic war game out there. And of course the best part is that it's 100% free.

I played some rounds this morning on Bridge and Pipeline. Kicked much butt on Bridge but I'm still really rusy on Pieline.

ArgoDave
Legend

Post by ArgoDave » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:17 am

Ugh! Once again in 2.8.2 I have to redo all my keybinds and tweaks because the old user.ini file was overwritten! :?

Good thing I have them written down....