Gran Turismo 4: THE driving experience

Talk about the Pick em Pool, CFL Fantasy Football, or Computer Gaming.

Moderator: Referees

Bushido
Champion

Gran Turismo 4: THE driving experience

Post by Bushido » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:56 pm

Yeah, kinda late to the party on this one. By like 2 years.

Just bought GT4 today, $20.

I liked GT3 but didn't love it. Lacked a lot of cars, tracks, didn't feel like Polyphony Digital's best work even though at the time it was technically amazing. Didn't help that a few years ago I accidentally deleted my GT3 save file which was about 60-some hours in the making.

This game, on the other hand, is the total package. 600+ cars. About 100 tracks. Improved physics. Improved graphics. Photo mode. Everything feels just right. Plus you can even race trucks! There's a F-150 Lightning, a Hemi'd Dodge Ram and (so far unplayable -- unlockable perhaps?) Chevrolet Silverado SST concept. Plus it has muscle cars again. Nothing like going 130 mph in a 1970 Chevelle 454 SS and having to hit the brakes about a 1000 yards before a turn to be able to stop in time. Fun as hell, though.

Have only played it a few hours but it's outstanding. If you love sim-style racing and/or cheap-o games, can't go wrong with this one.

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Post by BBBob » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:54 pm

What platform did you buy the game for Bushido?

I recently picked up GTR 2 and GT Legends (a package deal for $18 ) for the PC and they both are great games! Only trouble is, I am using the keyboard to control the game - NOT ideal, lol. I intend upon picking up a Logitech G25 steering wheel/ shifter/ 3 pedal system as soon as I can afford it. Then I am going to build a frame, replete with racing seat to attach the new steering wheel + to - I can hardly frigging wait!

I'm planning on getting into PC racing big time... anyone else interested, or have any advice? I prefer sims to arcade racing.

Bushido
Champion

Post by Bushido » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:14 am

Playstation 2. I'm thinking of getting the Logitech G Force Pro (?) wheel for it, it's about $170 but it has two pedals (brake and gas), shifter and wheel that supports full 800 degree steering like a real automobile (GT4 supports it as do a few other games).

If I had the room I'd love to have a full frame with seat. That'd be wild!

Next year when I get a PS3 I'll be getting the F1 game that's available, but I don't know if it'll support the wheel I want to get.

Even if you don't have a PS2 they're cheap, like $120 or so and GT4 is a Greatest Hits game which is an unbelievable steal at $20 for the greatest console racer. Ever. Not quite the same as PC gaming but for console gaming the Gran Turismo series has yet to be topped (maybe by GT5 for the PS3 which will have accurately rendered interiors).

In the meantime I'll be jealous of your racing set up!

bluto
Starter

Post by bluto » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:48 am

i've been playing Gran Turismo HD since December...it's such a tease to give us just a little bit of a game that won't be out for (what was @ the time) another year.

the concept demo is beautiful to look @, and you just know that it'll be so much deeper and more polished when the programmers are finished (and have had an extra year to make it, rather than hurrying thier product for the platform-launch last year)
They can sell me a flag but i can't wave it on a stick?

There must've been a lot of flag-on-flag violence incidents in the Rogers Centre...

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Post by BBBob » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:49 am

Here's the racing frame that I intend upon borrowing some design elements from - I'm designing the frame using the great Rhino 3DCAD (NURBS) program. I would just love to use 3 22" LCD monitors in the racing frame (side by side)... but that is NOT within my budget at this time, later!

Hopefully by the time that I have this ready to use I will have a stable internet connection - my wireless i-net connection right now sucks balls as it cuts out at least once an hour and often has high ping. :?

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Post by BBBob » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:15 pm

Okay, I took the plunge and just ordered the G25 steering wheel, 3 pedals and 6 speed stickshift. :o :D
Melted the visa, but not too bad.

Lesson learned, shop around. Logitech wants $349.95 CAD PLUS $25 shipping and I got it online at NCIX for $256.50 - $304.46 including tax/ shipping/ insurance, PLUS I got a $60 mail in rebate which brings the total to $244.46 delivered right to me. :beauty:

Btw Bushido, this unit DOES work with a PS2 - connects to the USB port. :beauty:

Now I'll have to finish up the plans to the aforementioned race frame I'm designing and put that sucker together! Oh The Man Cave [HAIL!] will never be the same once I'm done! [giddy with excitement]

I've got GTR2 and GTLegends to play, any other suggestions for great PC racing games? I've heard some good things about rFactor.

ArgoDave
Legend
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts
Location: Sitting in my chair, being a swell guy loved by all...

Post by ArgoDave » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:32 pm

Excellent choice BBBob. And I agree, NCIX is a pretty decent place to buy stuff from, I've ordered from them about 3 times and NEVER been disappointed in price or delivery. (2 days from BC to my door, amazing.)

GT4 for $20? Man, I am out of touch with console gaming!! Loved GT 1 and 2, finished almost every track but one. Downhill in the rally car, never could beat the Computer using that Suzuki rocket. Didn't like 3 at all, jut gave up on it and console gaming in general. Bought a brand new cheap copy of the Battlestar Galactica game for the PS2 and never even played it yet, and that was over 2 years ago...someone got me into AA:O and I kinda gave up on most other games... :wink:
Gord for Mayor of Swaggerville!

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Post by BBBob » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:57 pm

ArgoDave wrote:Excellent choice BBBob. And I agree, NCIX is a pretty decent place to buy stuff from, I've ordered from them about 3 times and NEVER been disappointed in price or delivery. (2 days from BC to my door, amazing.)
Great to hear you positive report on NCIX. Are you considering getting the parts for your new PC from them (down the road a bit I know). It really isn't that hard to build your own PC, I think that you could do it without any problem. The hardest part is choosing quality components (starting with the MB and power supply) that are compatible - there is no need to get the latest, greatest top of the line parts of course, why pay a premium. :beauty:
ArgoDave wrote:...someone got me into AA:O and I kinda gave up on most other games... :wink:
[BBBob shuffles feet and nervously glances downward...] :wink:

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Post by BBBob » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:58 pm

ArgoDave wrote:Excellent choice BBBob. And I agree, NCIX is a pretty decent place to buy stuff from, I've ordered from them about 3 times and NEVER been disappointed in price or delivery. (2 days from BC to my door, amazing.)
Great to hear you positive report on NCIX. Are you considering getting the parts for your new PC from them (down the road a bit I know). It really isn't that hard to build your own PC, I think that you could do it without any problem. The hardest part is choosing quality components (starting with the MB and power supply) that are compatible - there is no need to get the latest, greatest top of the line parts of course, why pay a premium. :beauty:
ArgoDave wrote:...someone got me into AA:O and I kinda gave up on most other games... :wink:
[BBBob shuffles feet and nervously glances downward...] :wink:

Furkmyster
All Star
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Post by Furkmyster » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:36 am

G25 is compatible with the PS3 as well. It is a very nice wheel kit, got one myself.

ArgoDave
Legend

Post by ArgoDave » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:11 am

BBBob wrote: Great to hear you positive report on NCIX. Are you considering getting the parts for your new PC from them (down the road a bit I know). It really isn't that hard to build your own PC, I think that you could do it without any problem. The hardest part is choosing quality components (starting with the MB and power supply) that are compatible - there is no need to get the latest, greatest top of the line parts of course, why pay a premium. :beauty:
I've considered it, I'll study the issue more when I get closer to the date I can afford it. I'll assemble a list of the components I want, and see how much this local shop who built my current box wants to do the job. They did a good job on this one...

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Post by BBBob » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:39 am

Furkmyster wrote:G25 is compatible with the PS3 as well. It is a very nice wheel kit, got one myself.
Cool! You ever connect it to your PC Furkmyster? What racing games do you like? :beer:
ArgoDave wrote:I've considered it, I'll study the issue more when I get closer to the date I can afford it. I'll assemble a list of the components I want, and see how much this local shop who built my current box wants to do the job. They did a good job on this one...
You can save probably a couple hundred bucks doing it yourself, but if you are at all nervous about it, indeed have a shop put it together. You may be able to find a shop that offers a free, or very cheap course in building a computer, I know C-Bit in Winnipeg offers this.

The parts for my latest PC was about $1,200 before tax - this included an expensive 550 watt Antec power supply ($150 and well worth the $$) and a mid-priced Cooler Master Centurion tower (I dumped the factory Cooler Master PSU).
I did add another gig of RAM after I built this PC - IIRC that was about $60.

The Logitech G25 ain't too pricey Dave (well... price is relative), so if you are interested in getting back into racing games, I would highly recommend it! This is the only unit under $1,000 that has a clutch and all the components are high quality. :beauty:

Furkmyster
All Star
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Post by Furkmyster » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:02 pm

PC, pfft. Got a Mac at home. Only gaming I do now is on the PS3 and 360. LazyBoy is much more comfortable than the computer chair.

ArgoDave
Legend

Post by ArgoDave » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:57 pm

BBBob wrote: You can save probably a couple hundred bucks doing it yourself, but if you are at all nervous about it, indeed have a shop put it together. You may be able to find a shop that offers a free, or very cheap course in building a computer, I know C-Bit in Winnipeg offers this.

The parts for my latest PC was about $1,200 before tax - this included an expensive 550 watt Antec power supply ($150 and well worth the $$) and a mid-priced Cooler Master Centurion tower (I dumped the factory Cooler Master PSU).
I did add another gig of RAM after I built this PC - IIRC that was about $60.

The Logitech G25 ain't too pricey Dave (well... price is relative), so if you are interested in getting back into racing games, I would highly recommend it! This is the only unit under $1,000 that has a clutch and all the components are high quality. :beauty:
I've replaced just about everything you can replace in a comp, except the MB and CPU, but if I ran into trouble I'm not sure about the troubleshooting. I understand in theory how to put one together..... This place I bought my last comp, they do custom builds that are comparable to specialty boxes like Alienware, only without the fancy box. Last time I had a list of what were at the time hot components that I wanted in a comp so I went to them and asked them what they did for high end multi-media/gaming rigs and they showed me a spec sheet that closely matched what I had in mind.

Trouble is they like to sell whole setups and all I want is a Tower with an OS, nothing else really. (Absolutely no bundled crap software, I have plenty of my own) I already have a great blue lit Saitek Eclipse keyboard, a Razer gaming mouse, dual 19" flatscreens, surround sound speakers with sub, etc. Well....maybe if they threw in a 22" or bigger high-rez LCD I'd dump my oldest 19" but that's it. I dunno if they'd go for a deal like that since I would assume it'd be noticeably cheaper than a complete setup. I may end up building it myself after all if they don't cooperate.

Good choice on the big power supply, I replaced ones in both our comps with 450 Watt units with dual fans, super cool and plenty of power for 2 HD and 2 Optical drives. :beauty:

Another idea I may explore is buying a slightly older Tower with a fast chip and decent MB, ( I saw some good ones in the $500-700 range, multimedia units running XP Media Center or Pro, with large HD's and DVD burner drives and ports for connecting just about anything) and then upgrading certain things like the Vid card and RAM. Most even had a decent Soundblaster Audigy in them already. I could do it for about $1000 or so and have a machine far faster than what I have now. Something to consider from the custom build route. Yes, it won't be as 'hot' as an Alienware level box but a LOT cheaper and I could get it sooner...

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Post by BBBob » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:40 pm

Funny you should mention used computers Dave, I've bought a few of them lately for clients and one for The Wife. The Wife's was the most expensive at $250 - AMD 2.4 ghz - 512 gig ram (shared) - onboard sound/ video - dvd burner - new case and psu - keyboard/ mouse - room for expansion. I added a wireless networking card to it ($89) and she's good to go. I'll add a cheap sound card and video card to it later.

Well... I got my G25 steering wheel, etc. today! Woo hoo! I'll try it out tonight and report back after I get used to it! I can't wait to try it! Full marks to Logitech on a seemingly very solid and well made product, quite slick also.

I'm waiting for a pair of Sennheiser HD555 headphones to arrive, they were on sale and it was too good of a deal to pass up! Ought to blow away my $15 specials!

Vroom, vroom! :rotf:

PS: Dave, you may want to play around with NCIX's pc builder area - configure a system that suits your budget and needs. I notice that they have a nominal or no fee for putting systems together, fyi.