Gran Turismo 4: THE driving experience

Talk about the Pick em Pool, CFL Fantasy Football, or Computer Gaming.

Moderator: Referees

ArgoDave
Legend
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts
Location: Sitting in my chair, being a swell guy loved by all...

Post by ArgoDave » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:14 pm

BBBob wrote:PS: Dave, you may want to play around with NCIX's pc builder area - configure a system that suits your budget and needs. I notice that they have a nominal or no fee for putting systems together, fyi.
Interesting....I never noticed that before, yes I will check it out! Thanx for the tip.

You should post some pics of your driving setup, and maybe game screenshots too. :beauty:
Gord for Mayor of Swaggerville!

ArgoDave
Legend

Post by ArgoDave » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:36 pm

Hey Bob, you're in the Biz, what do you think of a comp like this? Would you make any changes? Not bad IMO for just over $1330, certainly well in my price range. But I could go a bit higher. I want to stay with XP as long as I can, most of my software probably isn't compatible with Vista anyway.

http://pc.ncix.com/pcbuilder/index.php? ... ormid=1000

I didn't include peripherals because I don't need them, my dual 19's, Saitek Eclipse keyboard, Razer Diamondback gaming mouse and surround sound speakers are all still good enough, I really just want a hot tower under $2000 total. That one I specced out should play anything that comes along for a while eh?

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Post by BBBob » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:08 pm

ArgoDave wrote:Hey Bob, you're in the Biz, what do you think of a comp like this? Would you make any changes? Not bad IMO for just over $1330, certainly well in my price range. But I could go a bit higher. I want to stay with XP as long as I can, most of my software probably isn't compatible with Vista anyway.

I didn't include peripherals because I don't need them, my dual 19's, Saitek Eclipse keyboard, Razer Diamondback gaming mouse and surround sound speakers are all still good enough, I really just want a hot tower under $2000 total. That one I specced out should play anything that comes along for a while eh?
Hey pal, I am an Intel/ Nvidia guy - I'm loyal to their products... sooo... I would swap out:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Dual Core Processor Socket AM2 Windsor 2.6GHZ 2000FSB 2X1MB = $136.85

for an Intel Core 2 Duo - the E6600 at $279.99 would be WELL worth the upgrade $$ IMHO.

The EVGA E-GEFORCE 8600GTS Superclocked 720MHZ 256MB 2.1GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDTV Out Video Card at $199.99 I'd swap out for a GeForce 8600 512 RAM at $229.99 - I wouldn't get a new video card with less than 512 RAM now - some new games require 512 video RAM (Dirt comes to mind) :o !

You could save a few bucks going to XP Home from XP Pro and you'll never know the difference except in your wallet. :wink:

I'd be tempted to bump up to the next level sound card, the XFi Xteme Gamer at $105.78 is a great and affordable choice and you'd enjoy the better sound. You also could save a few $ by eliminating the CD drive and just use a combo DVD burner drive - of course if you need a second CD drive they are cheap.

Of course some of the above changes would require a different motherboard - here is what I would suggest as a package - at a price of $1,525.92 - $206.33 more than the system that you had configured but significantly more powerful IMHO. That's pretty much the system that I will be putting together for my buddy. :beauty: This system would keep you gaming for quite some time!

Btw - picked up Half Life 2 for $18 (new), pretty good so far! You finished this long ago I'm guessing, eh Dave?

phpbb_!

ArgoDave
Legend

Post by ArgoDave » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:25 pm

BBBob wrote: Hey pal, I am an Intel/ Nvidia guy - I'm loyal to their products... sooo... I would swap out:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Dual Core Processor Socket AM2 Windsor 2.6GHZ 2000FSB 2X1MB = $136.85

for an Intel Core 2 Duo - the E6600 at $279.99 would be WELL worth the upgrade $$ IMHO.

The EVGA E-GEFORCE 8600GTS Superclocked 720MHZ 256MB 2.1GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDTV Out Video Card at $199.99 I'd swap out for a GeForce 8600 512 RAM at $229.99 - I wouldn't get a new video card with less than 512 RAM now - some new games require 512 video RAM (Dirt comes to mind) :o !
Ah, I thought I had picked a 512 one, you're right. (dumb pull down menu!) Good choice! I've had no troubles with nVidia cards at all, except a couple of touchy non-WHQL certified Drivers. I have no preference to AMD/Intel so that's OK too. That was the default pick for the original setup.
BBBob wrote: You could save a few bucks going to XP Home from XP Pro and you'll never know the difference except in your wallet. :wink:

I'd be tempted to bump up to the next level sound card, the XFi Xteme Gamer at $105.78 is a great and affordable choice and you'd enjoy the better sound. You also could save a few $ by eliminating the CD drive and just use a combo DVD burner drive - of course if you need a second CD drive they are cheap.
OK, sounds good. I like 2 disc drives, I burn a lot of rewritable .mp3 Cd's for the car so why wear out the DVD drive not burning DVD's? (I do a bit of that too) And when copying discs 2 drives is handy, you can copy on-the-fly then. Worth a few bucks to me. After SP2 there's not much difference between XP Home and Pro anymore from what I've been told. You took off the Heat Sink? Not needed?
BBBob wrote: Of course some of the above changes would require a different motherboard - here is what I would suggest as a package - at a price of $1,525.92 - $206.33 more than the system that you had configured but significantly more powerful IMHO. That's pretty much the system that I will be putting together for my buddy. :beauty: This system would keep you gaming for quite some time!
OK, Bob that's great! I'll save that link for sure. Thanx man. It's been so long since I priced out a comp I wanted advice from someone knowledgeable and up to speed with current hardware. I made a couple of minor additions, CDRW Writer and Assembly, so I'm up to $1600, but that would be OK.

BBBob wrote: Btw - picked up Half Life 2 for $18 (new), pretty good so far! You finished this long ago I'm guessing, eh Dave?

phpbb_!
Ah, no, when I lost my HD last year I lost my progress. (had almost finished Doom3 too :?) I reinstalled it but have yet to finish it....spend too much game time with AA still..... :oops:

HL2 is a beautiful game to look at, but don't let the graphics distract you or you'll be dead fast. :wink:

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Post by BBBob » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:26 pm

Oops! I forgot to choose a heat sink! YES! Get a good heatsink! A few $$ well spent. :wink:

If you have no need to encrypt any files then you don't need XP Pro. There are a couple other tools that Pro has over Home, but nothing noteworthy at all.

Fyi those Sennheiser HD 555 headphones that I have coming are back up to $199 (pre-tax/ shipping) up from the $130 that I got them for. Gotta watch for those deals! Buying your next PC parts when sales occur can save considerable cash, but one must be patient, diligent in checking for sales and have the $$ at the ready. My next PC will be bought piece by piece on sale - I hope to be have it assembled by late winter/ early spring and should save a couple hundred + bucks.

I can't wait to try AA (and other games and music) with the new headphones, I just have $15 El Cheapo brand phones now.

Btw, I got a copy of the rFactor racing game with the steering wheel package, I have yet to try it out, ought to have some time in an hour or so (woo hoo, burn rubber!). I really want to get Dirt, but the demo just runs like crap on my high end PC so I am dubious about paying top dollar for the game... merits further investigation. According to game reviews, performance is not always up to snuff.

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Post by BBBob » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:42 pm

Played around with your system a bit dave, changed the RAM (4gig), changed the case (cheaper) and added a heatsink - price = $1,621.36 including full assembly/ testing.

If you ever plan to switch to Vista, you'll want the extra RAM, hell, you'll enjoy it with XP too! :wink:

*edit* oops, only configured one DVD/ CD drive. :?

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Post by BBBob » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:00 am

The HD555's arrived today! (happy happy joy joy!)
Awesome sound! :beauty: Haven't tried out gaming yet, I'll do that tonight.

The steering wheel kit is great, but I need to set it up for each game better - still getting used to it. The Wife likes the steering wheel kit! I'll have her playing driving games in no time! :wink: :rotf:

Further review forthcoming!

ArgoDave
Legend

Post by ArgoDave » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:39 pm

BBBob wrote:Played around with your system a bit dave, changed the RAM (4gig), changed the case (cheaper) and added a heatsink - price = $1,621.36 including full assembly/ testing.

If you ever plan to switch to Vista, you'll want the extra RAM, hell, you'll enjoy it with XP too! :wink:

*edit* oops, only configured one DVD/ CD drive. :?
Ok, good call on the RAM, more never hurts yeah. I added a fast CDRW/DVD Rom drive too, to save wear on the DVD burner. (heh, only $30, black to match the other one) Nice choice on the case, love the blue hue! Didn't see that one. Wonder if I should throw in a Blue lighted fan too?

Here's my final take on it:

With tax I should be just on the high end of my budget but what a machine! Thanx for the help Bob, owe ya one for that. :beauty: :beer:

Now to convince wifey I really need it.

She says if I buy it she'll go out and buy shoes...LOTS of shoes.

She means it too.

This could get real expensive before I'm through.... :o :?

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Post by BBBob » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:30 pm

That looks very sweet. [drool] :beauty:

I think with the different case you may appreciate the inputs on top of the case, sounds handy to me, plus it's a tad less expensive and does look cool. Hey, I'm all for led fans, I say go for the gusto! :wink:

I will be sure to do my very best at GC to subtly convince Mrs.ArgoDave that it would be a very good idea indeed for Mr. ArgoDave to get a new computer. It would in fact, be quite foolish to consider any other option. Bases covered! :wink: :beauty:

As for the shoe thing... Hi... My name is BBBob and my wife is a Shoeaholic... welcome to the ShoeAnon group. :(

I feel your [patent leather] pain pal. :?

ArgoDave
Legend

Post by ArgoDave » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:32 am

BBBob wrote:That looks very sweet. [drool] :beauty:

I think with the different case you may appreciate the inputs on top of the case, sounds handy to me, plus it's a tad less expensive and does look cool. Hey, I'm all for led fans, I say go for the gusto! :wink:

I will be sure to do my very best at GC to subtly convince Mrs.ArgoDave that it would be a very good idea indeed for Mr. ArgoDave to get a new computer. It would in fact, be quite foolish to consider any other option. Bases covered! :wink: :beauty:

As for the shoe thing... Hi... My name is BBBob and my wife is a Shoeaholic... welcome to the ShoeAnon group. :(

I feel your [patent leather] pain pal. :?
Of course I could sabotage her old computer, since she'd get my current one which is way better than that 7 year old hunk of junk she's using now. :devil:

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Post by BBBob » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:21 pm

Well, I've setup the steering wheel with a few games and it's just bloody great - very fun and MAN are my lap times ever coming down! :o Very solidly built and of high quality. The forcefeedback is just right and helps a lot both in making it more realistic and to drive better.

One note - I MUST build my "race frame with bucket seat" ASAP - using the steering wheel and gearshift attached to my desk (rollout tray) is not the best (rolls in and out but a clamp fixed that) and the pedals slid around a bit on my concrete floor. The steering wheel, shifter and pedals all have built in areas for bolts to fasten the components securily down as well as the screw down temporary system. The pedals also have a "carpet catcher" for applying grab on carpet.

Once I have the whole rig setup it will be sweeeeeet. Going to add 5.1 sound to the raceframe (subwoofer under the seat) and my buddy is supposed to be getting me a (wrecked) Corvette bucket seat (drivers) replete with electronics. :beauty:
I have an old rowing machine and exercise bike that I will be using parts from to build the race frame, plus I'll have to but some steel pipe and some fittings.
This is roughly what the finished product will look like (monitor(s) not shown):

ArgoDave
Legend

Post by ArgoDave » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:41 pm

Neat Bob, but don't forget the Cup Holder! :wink:

BBBob
Hall of Famer

Re:

Post by BBBob » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:14 pm

ArgoDave wrote:Neat Bob, but don't forget the Cup Holder! :wink:

And ashtray... :? :rotf:

I still haven't had the time to build my chair :( , but hopefully soon! I have disassembled an old rowing machine to use for part of the chair. :beauty: