Leafs-2

argolio
Hall of Famer

Re: Leafs march to the Stanley Cup thread

Post by argolio » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:15 pm

habcat wrote:Good slaps down the evil bitch

Habs-6

Leafs-2
Putting out two defensemen, probably for the year, was well worth the loss. :wink:
My name is Argolio, and I approved this post.

AngeloV
All Star

Post by AngeloV » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:33 am

argolio wrote:
habcat wrote:Good slaps down the evil bitch

Habs-6

Leafs-2
Putting out two defensemen, probably for the year, was well worth the loss. :wink:
:thup: :thup: for Grabovski!!
Hugo has been retired!!!!!

Chief, this information is of the highest security. I insist that we use the cone of silence!

habcat
Starter

Post by habcat » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:03 pm

Only Leaf fans would feel that way, probably Argo fans too. You two are both, so there you go.

Grabovski is the perfect Leaf run and hit then run and hide.
Last edited by habcat on Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jay64
Rookie

Post by jay64 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:42 pm

The great thing about the Leafs missing the playoffs is that the CBC has to focus on other teams-- its Leafs, Leafs, Leafs all during the regular season, it drives me nuts. The mother network has to go back to the days when Leaf and Canadiens games were split during the season, and add some Ottawa games into the mix. I don't know why they think that anyone outside of southern Onatrio would want to watch Leaf games on Saturday night all winter. It is why I rarely watch HNIC anymore. TSN has far better coverage and focuses on ALL Canadian teams. The NHL would be better served to look at that when the current contract with the CBC expires.

argolio
Hall of Famer

Post by argolio » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:58 pm

Like it or not, the Leafs get large viewership (nationally, not just regionally) no matter how the team is doing and they pay a lot of the bills for CBC/HNIC. Since that likely will never change in your lifetime, better get the NHL package if you want to set your own schedule.

As for TSN, they would love to cover more midweek Leaf games if they weren't limited by their national cable contract.

jay64
Rookie

Post by jay64 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:13 pm

If you don't think there a lot of Canadiens fans out west and in the Maritimes, be prepared to be shocked. The Habs have a huge following nationally as well, and will be the focus of the CBC until they are eliminated from the playoffs (5 games at the most). I would venture to say that even when the Expos were still around they were just as popular as the Blue Jays were-- I know lots around here would have liked to have seen more Expo games when they were still in existence.

argolio
Hall of Famer

Post by argolio » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:47 pm

There's no denying there are plenty of Hab fans. I would argue there are more Leaf fans, but whether that's true or they are about equal, the Leafs will provide HNIC with a bigger single rating number most of the time simply because the Habs audience is diluted between French and English.

And you sort of got your wish since the Leafs actually had a lower profile on HNIC in this past season by not appearing on three Saturdays. I can't remember the last time that happened.

I'm no Jays fan, but I have a theory about the Expos. Everyone talks about the strike in 1994, which no doubt was damaging, but the Expos demise began when they turned into a bad team in the early 80's at the same time as A) the Jays were becoming a good team, and B) TSN came on the scene and (along with CTV) basically turned the Jays into Canada's national team. The Expos took a back seat and became out-of-sight, out-of-mind in most places outside of Quebec.

jay64
Rookie

Post by jay64 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:37 am

So do any Leaf fans want to bet if they make the playoffs this year?.... :rotf:

argolio
Hall of Famer

Post by argolio » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:20 pm

jay64 wrote:So do any Leaf fans want to bet if they make the playoffs this year?.... :rotf:
Then Leaf AND Hab fans will have their choice of playoff viewing. :wink:

jay64
Rookie

Post by jay64 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:58 am

argolio wrote:
jay64 wrote:So do any Leaf fans want to bet if they make the playoffs this year?.... :rotf:
Then Leaf AND Hab fans will have their choice of playoff viewing. :wink:
Hmm... 0-5-1... if the habs win 2 or 3 they are in the thick of the playoff race .. its early , but signs point towards the Leafs being the laughing stock of the league-- again. :hmm:

argolio
Hall of Famer

Post by argolio » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:28 pm

jay64 wrote:Hmm... 0-5-1... if the habs win 2 or 3 they are in the thick of the playoff race .. its early , but signs point towards the Leafs being the laughing stock of the league-- again. :hmm:
Point towards? No, they're there right now. But why so insecure about your own team that you have to focus on another?

jay64
Rookie

Post by jay64 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:53 pm

argolio wrote:
jay64 wrote:Hmm... 0-5-1... if the habs win 2 or 3 they are in the thick of the playoff race .. its early , but signs point towards the Leafs being the laughing stock of the league-- again. :hmm:
Point towards? No, they're there right now. But why so insecure about your own team that you have to focus on another?
It doesnt matter to me if the Habs make the playoffs.. if they do, great! As for the Leafs, I would like to see them become a Cup contender again- but its not going to happen if Burke patterns his team after the Jonestown Chiefs from Slapshot... :rotf:

argolio
Hall of Famer

Post by argolio » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:05 pm

That would actually be good since the Chiefs turned into a winning team. :wink:

D
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions

Post by D » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:41 pm

and with the first pick in the draft the Boston Bruins select ....

Meanwhile at the Leafs table Brian Blowhard pounds his head :smackhead:
I own The Grey Cup! .com