MONTREAL CANADIENS CORNER

Discuss Pro Hockey, Canadian Teams in particular

Moderator: Referees

AGENT-784
All Star

Re: MONTREAL CANADIENS CORNER

Post by AGENT-784 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:40 pm

Once again, the Canadiens spend most of the night shooting blanks, and RJ Umberger's shooting percentage could well be mistaken for Biron's save percentage...Of course, give credit to Martin Biron for another solid game, but to say he was brilliant would be a bit of a stretch...Flyers continue to make the Canadiens play more of the game along the boards, and forwards like Plekanec and Koivu are finding no gaps in order to create plays to the blue ice...Flyer's aggressive penalty kill continues to frustrate the Hab's power-play, and also created a huge short-handed chance for Carter on his breakaway, but Halak was equal to the challenge...Just when you thought the Habs caught a break when the puck rang off the iron, it lands square on Hartnell's stick, putting the Flyer's up by two.

The game continued according to script, with the Canadiens making the late push, and coming up short for the third straight game...After a minor miracle, the Canadiens found themselves with new life, only to find themselves down a man, after a body-check in the neutral zone. Steve Begin's game is pretty simple, get on the fore-check, kill penalties, block shots, and finish checks. The hit on Kapanen was like hundreds that you see all year long, a guy standing still after he passes off, admires his pass for a second, then he gets jolted. Flyer's power-play take advantage of another good bounce after the point shot never reaches the net, and that puck falls onto the stick of Briere who has the wide open net. Everyone is gonna rave about his game-winner, but to his credit, he took responsibility for the fact that his line was on the ice for both goals, when the lead was pissed away.

The next game is just a matter of responsibility for the Canadiens...Just keep doing the things that paid off for them all year long...Just have the mindset that you win the last game of the year on home ice...Plus, they have shown the Flyers no quit...Heck, the Flyers wouldn't want it any other way.

I see no reason why Carey Price will be on the bench for a second straight game.
Technology is the branch of knowledge which turns irreplaceable natural things into disposable dead things.

AGENT-784
All Star

Post by AGENT-784 » Sat May 03, 2008 9:54 pm

What are you gonna do when the breaks just keep going the other way...Canadiens had the edge in play, again out-hit the Flyers, but still could not overcome RJ Umberger's horseshoe, but give him his due credit for staying with the rebound on his first goal.

After Higgins beat Biron, and the Habs killed off the Flyer's two man advantage, they seemingly were in good position with the lead...Umberger's sailing shot hit's Richards high for another fortunate bounce, resulting in the opening that the Flyers needed to get the sudden upper hand.

Andrei Kostitsyn gave the home team something to build on, early in the third, but when Latendresse rang the puck off the iron, you had to know that the Flyers were gonna make the Habs pay...Carter sails another high, harmless shot, and Upshall's mid-air deflection sinks the home team, and the second round is done for the Canadiens. What a time to have the team's first four game losing string of the year.

Overall, the Flyers simply got it done in this series, and apart from the overtime loss, they did bend a lot, but did not break through the final four games. It was a close series, and when the Flyers needed something to go right, it did go right, but certainly not always by design.

Canadiens worked like hell to end the regular season, but saw how difficult life can be in the play-offs...This team played 12 more games than expected coming into the season...Carey Price has 11 games and a series win under his belt, and while it was enjoyable cheering for him, game after game, you have to think that this off-season may have it's own pressure on the kid, as he looks forward to his first full season as the Canadien's primary net-minder...Nothing is a certainty in this NHL, as teams rise and fall like the tide; at least a couple of 100-plus point teams from a year ago are looking around for answers, after failing this time around...Do the Canadiens have what it takes to build on the improvement which we all saw in the last several months...Keep in mind that, for the most part, the team was not riddled with key injuries; the roster was flexible, meaning that players outside of the core had to work hard for their ice-time during the season; and the virus that infected many on the team last year was not prevalent this year...Any expectations of another 100 point season would be grossly premature, based on the fact that this team has a roster of young players, who will have to prove their consistency from year to year, and not all of them will do so; if you want proof, just look at Michael Ryder and the question mark beside his name.

Finally, Saku Koivu proved once again that he is a STUD. No forward of his physical stature works harder than he does, at both ends of the ice...the broken foot was another setback, from which he came back and produced effectively...Koivu is so well respected around the league, and that just has to say something about the quality of his leadership...Maybe I am biased, but for me, Koivu is one of the very best small forwards in the NHL.

Good Luck in the next round, you Flyers...Just make sure Umberger didn't leave his horseshoe in the visitor's room, at the Bell Centre.
Technology is the branch of knowledge which turns irreplaceable natural things into disposable dead things.

jay64
Rookie

Post by jay64 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:32 am

The habs finally won a game on the road.. and snapped a 7 game losing streak overall. I believe its a temporary respite though, as some guys aren't not working hard enough, or willing to pay the price to score. Kovalev and the Kostitystns have been absolutely brutal, and Komisarek is leaving guys wide open in front of the net. Halak played a strong game, so leave him in for awhile. I believe a shakeup is needed, either Gainey trading someone or Carbonneau benching some non performing stars. I never thought that the 100th anniversary would mean that the players would play like they are 100 yrs old!!! :hmm:

argolio
Hall of Famer

Post by argolio » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:20 pm

Perfect time to bring back Rejean Houle and Mario Tremblay, baby!!!
My name is Argolio, and I approved this post.

AngeloV
All Star

Post by AngeloV » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:17 pm

Wel, well, well. What a surprise. It seems that the Montreal Canadians are linked to organized crime. IMO, The record books should now all be re-written and their championships should be deemed null and void! :rotf:
Hugo has been retired!!!!!

Chief, this information is of the highest security. I insist that we use the cone of silence!

argolio
Hall of Famer

Post by argolio » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:48 pm

As Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons would say,

Best 100th anniversary EVER!
My name is Argolio, and I approved this post.

jay64
Rookie

Post by jay64 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:18 am

When the Leafs win another Stanley Cup, the Canadiens will have won an additional 24... :cowboy:

AngeloV
All Star

Post by AngeloV » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:08 am

jay64 wrote:When the Leafs win another Stanley Cup, the Canadiens will have won an additional 24... :cowboy:
That's because the Leafs don't have mob ties tainting all their victories. We do things honestly. If it means less championships in order to set a good example for the young ones, then so be it.

**I almost kept a straight face while typing that...Fact is: I just HATE THE HABS!!!!!!

For the record, the Habs only have 11 more than the Leafs.

Chief, this information is of the highest security. I insist that we use the cone of silence!

jay64
Rookie

Post by jay64 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:11 am

AngeloV wrote:
jay64 wrote:When the Leafs win another Stanley Cup, the Canadiens will have won an additional 24... :cowboy:
That's because the Leafs don't have mob ties tainting all their victories. We do things honestly. If it means less championships in order to set a good example for the young ones, then so be it.

**I almost kept a straight face while typing that...Fact is: I just HATE THE HABS!!!!!!

Only 11 more Stanley Cups? IIRC, the Canadiens have 24 championships.. and the Leafs 11.. that would make 13 more SCs... you must show me the new math... :dizzy:

AngeloV
All Star

Post by AngeloV » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:55 am

jay64 wrote:
AngeloV wrote:

Only 11 more Stanley Cups? IIRC, the Canadiens have 24 championships.. and the Leafs 11.. that would make 13 more SCs... you must show me the new math... :dizzy:
I have included the Toronto Arena's and Toronto St. Pats championships as they had name changes but were the same team finally settling as the Toronto Maple Leafs. The same can't be said for the Montreal Wanderers, because they were rivals with the Canadians and they competed against each other.

jay64
Rookie

Post by jay64 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:13 pm

Even the Maple Leafs' website doesn't include those victories, so why anyone else would is beyond me. Like I said before the Canadiens will have an additional 24 Cups before the Leafs ever win another one...

AngeloV
All Star

Post by AngeloV » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:15 pm

jay64 wrote: Like I said before the Canadiens will have an additional 24 Cups before the Leafs ever win another one...
Keep telling yourself that. This will be the first complete decade in which the Habs have not won a cup, and it wouldn't surprise me if they went a very long time before winning another. I know the Leafs are at 42 years now, but you can't tell me that any Montreal fan ever thought they would be at 16 and counting after this season.

jay64
Rookie

Post by jay64 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:00 pm

AngeloV wrote:
jay64 wrote: Like I said before the Canadiens will have an additional 24 Cups before the Leafs ever win another one...
Keep telling yourself that. This will be the first complete decade in which the Habs have not won a cup, and it wouldn't surprise me if they went a very long time before winning another. I know the Leafs are at 42 years now, but you can't tell me that any Montreal fan ever thought they would be at 16 and counting after this season.
OK, if you seriously want to look it that way, which team has the better chance of winning a Stanley Cup? The Leafs are in the bottom 5 of the league, and do have a shot at drafting John Tavares, but the team that has the best chance to win the lottery will be the Islanders. So where does that leave the Leafs? They are blowing up their team, so its more than likely it will be another 3 to 5 seasons before they become serious contenders again. On the other hand the Canadiens have a good nucleus of players, and if they manage to get a good power forward and another strong defenceman, they will be in the hunt for another Cup. Good luck to the Leafs finding that winning forumla, because they will need it...

AngeloV
All Star

Post by AngeloV » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:59 am

jay64 wrote:
AngeloV wrote:
OK, if you seriously want to look it that way, which team has the better chance of winning a Stanley Cup? The Leafs are in the bottom 5 of the league, and do have a shot at drafting John Tavares, but the team that has the best chance to win the lottery will be the Islanders. So where does that leave the Leafs? They are blowing up their team, so its more than likely it will be another 3 to 5 seasons before they become serious contenders again. On the other hand the Canadiens have a good nucleus of players, and if they manage to get a good power forward and another strong defenceman, they will be in the hunt for another Cup. Good luck to the Leafs finding that winning forumla, because they will need it...
What good nucleus? Honestly, who is there no. 1 center? They don't have one. And have you seen their list of UFA's after this season? Kovalev, Tanguay, Koivu, Kommisarek..just to name a few (likely their best 4 players). Laugh at the Leafs all you want, but IMO, Montreal mirrors the Leafs in the early part of the decade. Just make the playoffs, and get a low enough draft that the player will have negligible impact on the team. Trading a 2nd and 3rd round pick for Matt Schneider? When did Bob Gainey rent JFJ's brain?

jay64
Rookie

Post by jay64 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:25 pm

Yeah, I guess finishing 1st in conference last year means nothing. 2 good young goaltenders, 3 keepers on defence and some good young forwards. Kovalev is talented, but his work ethic is just brutal. I look for the Habs to find a front line center in FA and another good defenceman in the off-season. The Habs are 6th in the Conference, where are the Leafs again? Oh yeah, in the Tavares draft lottery. Do you really believe that Toskala is going to lead the Leafs to a Cup? :rotf: :rotf: