MONTREAL CANADIENS CORNER

Discuss Pro Hockey, Canadian Teams in particular

Moderator: Referees

AngeloV
All Star

Re: MONTREAL CANADIENS CORNER

Post by AngeloV » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:37 pm

jay64 wrote:Yeah, I guess finishing 1st in conference last year means nothing.
It does when you don't make it throught the 2nd round. Even some Leafs teams in the last 10 years have made it past there.
3 keepers on defence and some good young forwards
Who are the keepers on defence? Markov and who else? Komisarek won't be back.
Kovalev is talented, but his work ethic is just brutal.
Yet he was the main reason they finished (as you so proudly pointed out) first last season.
I look for the Habs to find a front line center in FA and another good defenceman in the off-season.
Why? They couldn't find one last off season and settled for a really old Robert Lang.

The Habs are 6th in the Conference, where are the Leafs again? Oh yeah, in the Tavares draft lottery. Do you really believe that Toskala is going to lead the Leafs to a Cup? :rotf: :rotf
I don't expect Toskala to lead them to a cup, but I'm not sold on Steve Penney..er Carey Price either. Fact is, I'd rather be in the draft lottery than be a first or second round casualty and drafting 20th. Leafs have been there, done that. And it's not like the Habs have been the most successful team of the decade. They should have been able to draft some blue chippers, but instead they try and make the Plecanic's and Kostytsin's out to be future superstars when in fact they are 2nd liners at best.

I realise that many Leafs fans (and unfortunately management) fall in love with some of their players and over value them in the market. But I'm just trying to point out that this season's Montreal team, which was picked to finish first by many, is very over rated...but Habs fans can't come to grip with that.
Hugo has been retired!!!!!

Chief, this information is of the highest security. I insist that we use the cone of silence!

jay64
Rookie

Post by jay64 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:02 pm

So then you rather be in the same position next year ( challenging for a top draft pick) than watch your team play playoff games? I guess that what happens when your team hasn't won a Cup in 42 years...

AngeloV
All Star

Post by AngeloV » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:16 pm

jay64 wrote:So then you rather be in the same position next year ( challenging for a top draft pick) than watch your team play playoff games? I guess that what happens when your team hasn't won a Cup in 42 years...
I guess so. You'll find that out in 25 more years. :wink:

Chief, this information is of the highest security. I insist that we use the cone of silence!

jay64
Rookie

Post by jay64 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:23 am

AngeloV wrote:
jay64 wrote:So then you rather be in the same position next year ( challenging for a top draft pick) than watch your team play playoff games? I guess that what happens when your team hasn't won a Cup in 42 years...
And the Leafs will have gone 67 years without winning a Cup.... :violin:

m66
Playground Scrub
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Post by m66 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:59 am

Canadiens' fan since the 60s, but recently they've reminded of a bunch of ants scrimmaging around in circles and accomplishing nothing. Why have the last several versions of the Canadiens find it so difficult to score goals? What's happened to Canadiens' legendary strive for perfection? In my view, what I see on the ice bears NO RESEMBLANCE to this once storied franchise.

mike

jay64
Rookie

Post by jay64 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:22 pm

m66 wrote:Canadiens' fan since the 60s, but recently they've reminded of a bunch of ants scrimmaging around in circles and accomplishing nothing. Why have the last several versions of the Canadiens find it so difficult to score goals? What's happened to Canadiens' legendary strive for perfection? In my view, what I see on the ice bears NO RESEMBLANCE to this once storied franchise.

mike
It looks like they are headed to the playoffs, but I predict a quick first round exit.. Gainey needs to go, as well as Kovalev, Plekanec, Kiovu and both Kostistyns(sp?). The Habs need a lot of changes.. we need virtually everything.. a good young puck moving defenceman, size up front, a pure goal scorer, toughness and a coach who the players will respect and listen to... they have had some easy games this week, or since the last time they played the Leafs. Kovalev looks interested in playing, and Komisarek has improved his play. Lets hope it continues...

AngeloV
All Star

Post by AngeloV » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:56 am

jay64 wrote:
AngeloV wrote:
And the Leafs will have gone 67 years without winning a Cup.... :violin:
So jay, tell me again about how great the Habs future is? All I heard all year was about the great young talent in Plekanic, Kostitsyn, Higgins, Lattendresse, etc, etc. They even gave the Leafs Grabovski, and statistically, he was better as a rookie, than any of their so-called young talent. Good luck improving this team. Nobody (not even French Canadian players) wants to play for this team. Say good-bye to Koivu, Kovalev, Kommisarek, Hamerlik, andTanguay. I can very optimistically say: They will not make the playoffs next season.

jay64
Rookie

Post by jay64 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:41 pm

You might have heard about the great young talent, but in no way was I calling guys Plekanec or the Kostistyns "great young talent". In fact, I have maintained that the Kositistyns, Plekanec, Kovalev and Koivu should all be turfed, along with the GM Gainey. You may have heard that, but not from me.

I believe the players they should keep are Price, Halak, Komisarek, Markov, Higgins, Lapierre and Latrandesse. PK Subban is an up and comer, the Canadiens need to move up in the draft and select some good talent in this draft. I do agree that its tough for a french-Canadian to play in Montreal, the french media puts tons of pressure on those guys to become 50 goal scorers. The Canadiens do have some good young talent, but its a matter of finding the right mix of veterans to go with them, and the Habs have failed miserably at that.. and yeah, I aslo agree that they will be hard pressed to make the playoffs next year.

AngeloV
All Star

Post by AngeloV » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:39 pm

jay64 wrote:You might have heard about the great young talent, but in no way was I calling guys Plekanec or the Kostistyns "great young talent". In fact, I have maintained that the Kositistyns, Plekanec, Kovalev and Koivu should all be turfed, along with the GM Gainey. You may have heard that, but not from me.

I believe the players they should keep are Price, Halak, Komisarek, Markov, Higgins, Lapierre and Latrandesse. PK Subban is an up and comer, the Canadiens need to move up in the draft and select some good talent in this draft. I do agree that its tough for a french-Canadian to play in Montreal, the french media puts tons of pressure on those guys to become 50 goal scorers. The Canadiens do have some good young talent, but its a matter of finding the right mix of veterans to go with them, and the Habs have failed miserably at that.. and yeah, I aslo agree that they will be hard pressed to make the playoffs next year.
I have to agree with you on Subban. I just came back from the Brampton vs. Belleville game, and although the Bulls were eliminated ( :yahoo: Brampton is my team) Subban played a great game--although he did try to take out Matt Duschene's legs late in the game :thdn: . I've seen him play live 3 times this year and he is a player.

All kidding aside, I don't agree with you on Lapierre and Lattendresse. These guys will never be more than 3rd or 4th liners, and not the players you build around. Komisarek, I don't believe will re-sign and Higgins, though injured a lot this season, was a big zero when he did play. Keeping both Halak and Price may be a mistake. They both need to play, and neither will be happy as a back-up.

Als Fan Ottawa 1
Starter
Favourite Team: Montreal Alouettes

Post by Als Fan Ottawa 1 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:44 pm

Angelo, I'll have to respectfully disagree with you about keeping both Price and Halak being a mistake. I'm a diehard Habs fan just like most of us in this thread probably are, I want to make that clear. But let's be real here, nobody knows who will pan out to be the better long-term option. Right now, Gainey is coddling Price perhaps due to his egotistical reasons as he was his fifth overall pick and all that. But it could very well be Halak.

We wouldn't want to be like the Leafs and choose the wrong kid goalie to give up on now, would we? Just saying...
CALGARY 09: Redemption could not be sweeter in Calgary. GO ALS GO!

AngeloV
All Star

Post by AngeloV » Fri May 01, 2009 1:46 pm

Als Fan Ottawa 1 wrote:Angelo, I'll have to respectfully disagree with you about keeping both Price and Halak being a mistake. I'm a diehard Habs fan just like most of us in this thread probably are, I want to make that clear. But let's be real here, nobody knows who will pan out to be the better long-term option. Right now, Gainey is coddling Price perhaps due to his egotistical reasons as he was his fifth overall pick and all that. But it could very well be Halak.

We wouldn't want to be like the Leafs and choose the wrong kid goalie to give up on now, would we? Just saying...
Well, it is possible that both young goalies the Leafs had may amount to nothing. Rask hasn't proven anything either (except that he has a short fuse). I just think that it's difficult not to have a veteran gaolie with a young goalie. When things aren't going great for the young goalie, it's hard to turn to another young one for advice on how to handle situations. Last year, Price had Huet, and played well. This year, there was no vet to turn to.

Als Fan Ottawa 1
Starter
Favourite Team: Montreal Alouettes

Post by Als Fan Ottawa 1 » Sat May 02, 2009 1:52 pm

AngeloV wrote:
Als Fan Ottawa 1 wrote:Angelo, I'll have to respectfully disagree with you about keeping both Price and Halak being a mistake. I'm a diehard Habs fan just like most of us in this thread probably are, I want to make that clear. But let's be real here, nobody knows who will pan out to be the better long-term option. Right now, Gainey is coddling Price perhaps due to his egotistical reasons as he was his fifth overall pick and all that. But it could very well be Halak.

Well, it is possible that both young goalies the Leafs had may amount to nothing. Rask hasn't proven anything either (except that he has a short fuse). I just think that it's difficult not to have a veteran gaolie with a young goalie. When things aren't going great for the young goalie, it's hard to turn to another young one for advice on how to handle situations. Last year, Price had Huet, and played well. This year, there was no vet to turn to.
True. While I do agree with you that having a veteran backup would be ideal... if you're the GM you have to admit that's a gut-wrenchingly hard call to make on who to move. You essentially are gambling your job with that one decision. Know what I mean? Sometimes we forget these people are human beings and do want to stay employed.
CALGARY 09: Redemption could not be sweeter in Calgary. GO ALS GO!

AGENT-784
All Star

Post by AGENT-784 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:44 pm

Als Fan Ottawa 1 wrote:
AngeloV wrote:

True. While I do agree with you that having a veteran backup would be ideal... if you're the GM you have to admit that's a gut-wrenchingly hard call to make on who to move. You essentially are gambling your job with that one decision. Know what I mean? Sometimes we forget these people are human beings and do want to stay employed.
Well, that gut-wrenching decision was finally made in this past off-season, with GM Gauthier moving Halak for future potential. Halak was traded away primarily because he had more market value after his amazing display of giant killing, ousting both Ovechkin and Crosby. The question is whether or not Gauthier brought in the right back-up with the signing of Alex Auld. I have always liked the size that Auld brings to the net, but the problem both he and Carey Price will face is the defense in front of them. The Canadiens give the puck away more than anyone else. They spend more time in their own zone than anyone else. Of course, these deficiencies lead to a predictable conclusion, which is that their goalies face more shots than anyone else. If the Canadiens can manage to have better than average specials teams, and are able to win a reasonable number of face-offs, then they have a chance to be in the 2011 playoffs. If they get out-shot every night, there isn't a goalie around anywhere, who will be able to carry the team on his back, and it will be a long season for sure.

Halak will probably prove that he is no fluke, but the Blues will also have to improve in front of him, otherwise there won't be much noise coming out of Saint Louis.

As for Carey Price, this latest contract may be the last one he signs in Montreal, so he has two years to show ALL of the GMs that he can take care of himself off the ice, and be a solid NHL goalie. Given time, Price can become a star somewhere, and yes, that might even be in Montreal.
Technology is the branch of knowledge which turns irreplaceable natural things into disposable dead things.