MONTREAL CANADIENS CORNER

Discuss Pro Hockey, Canadian Teams in particular

Moderator: Referees

soccer_balls
All Star

MONTREAL CANADIENS CORNER

Post by soccer_balls » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:28 am

Well Hab fans,another year for the 24 time Stanley Cup Champions is upon us.Any thoughts and predictions on how the boys will do this year?I'd love to say and think that we will do better than last year,but I am still worried about 'our' goaltending (most goals against this preseason) and 'our' lack of scoring punch up front.

I think the addition of Sergei Samsonov will bring our 'goals for' up a tad and I also look forward to seeing what this kid Guillaume Latendresse brings to the table.From what I've read,the Hab fans already have a developed a liking for this guy.Let's hope he can return the favor with some goals.

Two thumbs up to Mr.Gainey for the Mike Ribeiro/Janne Niinimaa trade yesterday.Ribeiro never lived up to the hype and potential that brought him into this league and lord knows the Habs don't need anymore guys like that around.It's been 13 years since there last triumph and frankly I want and need another celebration real soon.Niinamaa,though often injured the past few seasons,when healthly and playing 82 games,can certainly bring some much needed help on the blueline and also add a little offensively to.Here's hoping.

Other Hab fans,please chime in with your insight on the red,white and blue and let's get this party started. :beer:

borehamgirl
Rookie

Post by borehamgirl » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:27 pm

I hate trades and cuts and I liked Ribeiro, but life goes on. I know he was somewhat disappointing and hopefully Niinimaa will contribute to the teams. I'm not so concerned with goal-tending the preseason isn't much of an indication since they truly did use it to evaluate talent.

I think we'll be fine and I couldn't be happier about Saku. I was worried he'd never play again.

greycupgarry
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Location: Sect. 217 Fav. Teams: Argos, Leafs, Stamps, Flames, Patriots, Browns, Storm, Holland

Post by greycupgarry » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:35 am

Go leafs!
if you have noticed this notice you will have noticed that this notice is not worth noticing

borehamgirl
Rookie

Post by borehamgirl » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:40 am

GCG now why would you go and soil a perfectly good thread with a horrific picture like that?? Sheesh that's almost like assault :wink: :tease:

Alswin
Champion
Favourite Team: Montreal Alouettes

Post by Alswin » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:59 am

The last of the 3 amigos is gone and it couldn't have happened to soon, I was so happy to hear the news Saturday night that Mickey Ribbs was traded, I didn't even care who was coming in return. Yes, Ribeiro has talent, but he was not weel liked by his teamates, he's a punk with an attitude and not much work ethic!
I'm excited about Latendresse, but I'm worried the presure of being a "Quebecois Star" playing for the Habs will get to him. I hope he's ready mentally for it.
It will all come down to goaltending, If Huet can play like he did last year, the Habs will do well, if he doesn't at least Abischer is an experienced NHL'er on call fill in well.
My outlook for the year is I would be happy if they reach the second round of the playoffs and of course give the Leafs an a$$ kicking every time they play em.

argolio
Hall of Famer

Post by argolio » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:13 pm

Latendresse, the stiff who was chosen for 2006 Team Canada Jrs. instead of Wojtek Wolski? And yes, Canada won gold, but it was a boring team. Wolski would have added much needed flair to that team and still would have won, but all Sutters hate flair (the 2005 team was so stacked that Team Canada couldn't help having flair).

I say Wolski will have a far superior pro career.

.....sorry, what's the topic of this thread? :wink:
My name is Argolio, and I approved this post.

soccer_balls
All Star

Post by soccer_balls » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:47 am

Alswin wrote:The last of the 3 amigos is gone and it couldn't have happened to soon, I was so happy to hear the news Saturday night that Mickey Ribbs was traded, I didn't even care who was coming in return. Yes, Ribeiro has talent, but he was not weel liked by his teamates, he's a punk with an attitude and not much work ethic!
I'm excited about Latendresse, but I'm worried the presure of being a "Quebecois Star" playing for the Habs will get to him. I hope he's ready mentally for it.
It will all come down to goaltending, If Huet can play like he did last year, the Habs will do well, if he doesn't at least Abischer is an experienced NHL'er on call fill in well.
My outlook for the year is I would be happy if they reach the second round of the playoffs and of course give the Leafs an a$$ kicking every time they play em.
Great post A'. :beauty:

One question if I may,Have you seen Latendresse play yet?If so,what do you like from him and what does he need to work on to get better?Heard his 'wheels' are a tad slow.Whatever the case,I look very much forward to seeing him in action for the first time.

The goaltending.Your bang on,sort of. :wink: If Christobal goes does not perform like last year or goes down for any stretch,'we' are royally SCREWED!From all accounts on him by 'hockey people' in the know,they say he could be the real deal and this team NEEDS that to have any hope for a successful year,IMHO.Abischer?Yeah agreed he's experienced AND learned from the BEST in Mr. Roy when both where with the AV'S,that's where my optimism on this guy stops however.I don't really have much faith in him at all.

Just a thought,but I'd kinda like to see Gainey possibly go after say,Marty Biron from Buffalo or better yet Marc-Andre Fleury from the Penquins,who by all accounts has had a dreadful pre-season in Pittsburgh thus far.Sure he'd cost a *poop* load,but I think 'coming home' would turn his career fortunes around for the better.Not to mention,The Montreal Canadiens fortunes.What do you think?

hfxalsfan
Playground Hero

Post by hfxalsfan » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:10 am

I lived out east and had the pleasure of watching Latendresse play against the mosseheads he is a very good young player who will prove to help the habs score more goals this season. I personally think montreal will definitly go farther this season. As far Goaltending i think huet will do great i just dont wanna see abischer play i dont think the canadiens are giving him a chance and we might see them trade conisdering the propsects they have like carey price who plays for the tri-city americans. he came close to making the team. LETS GO HABS WIN THE STANLEY CUP :D

argolio
Hall of Famer

Post by argolio » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:36 pm

For what it's worth, TSN's preview show predicted that the Habs (and Leafs) will miss the playoffs.

They said Mtl's main weaknesses are lack of size and no depth at center.
My name is Argolio, and I approved this post.

greycupgarry
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Location: Sect. 217 Fav. Teams: Argos, Leafs, Stamps, Flames, Patriots, Browns, Storm, Holland

Post by greycupgarry » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:54 pm

argolio wrote:For what it's worth, TSN's preview show predicted that the Habs (and Leafs) will miss the playoffs.

They left out the part about having no heart and desire for such a storied franchise.
if you have noticed this notice you will have noticed that this notice is not worth noticing

bc49
Superstar

Post by bc49 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:02 am

I am not asking for much from this evolving team.
For me just making the final 8 in the Eastern Conf. would be a good season and anything after that is bonus.
Of course making the playoffs is far from a certainty.
I dare to say the goaltending tandem of Huet and Aebischer looks rather promising. :cross: Most of the promising resting with Huet, who had a great year last season starting 36 games with a 2.20 GAA. If he stays healthy and posts up similiar numbers the goaltending will be the last of the teams worries.
I would say the D is slightly above the middle of the pack in comparison with other NHL teams. The addition of Niinimaa will help big time (assuming he remains healthy) and if Markov can have another strong season (both in points and +/-) it will go a long way.
Up front I like the way the likely first line of Kovalev, Samsonov and Plekanec looked in pre-season. Add in a second line featuring the likes of Koivu, Ryder and maybe a guy like Higgins and you're not losing any scoring punch between the two top lines.
I couldn't be happier with the recent play of Latendresse. For a 45th overall pick he is showing remarkable promise and still only 19. Can't say for certain he'll make the team or how much ice he will see but a great find for the future.
GO HABS GO!

borehamgirl
Rookie

Post by borehamgirl » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:47 am

greycupgarry wrote:
argolio wrote:For what it's worth, TSN's preview show predicted that the Habs (and Leafs) will miss the playoffs.

They left out the part about having no heart and desire for such a storied franchise.
Did they also forget the part about the Leafs not winning the Stanley Cup in my ENTIRE lifetime?? :tease:

greycupgarry
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by greycupgarry » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:42 pm

borehamgirl wrote:
greycupgarry wrote:

Did they also forget the part about the Leafs not winning the Stanley Cup in my ENTIRE lifetime?? :tease:
You dissapoint me Tina. Tigger told me that all Ticat fans were Leafs Fans. :juggle: :tease:

bbgirl
Rookie

Post by bbgirl » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:44 pm

Nothing to add to this thread except Go Habs!!

habcat
Starter

Post by habcat » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:01 pm

greycupgarry wrote:
borehamgirl wrote:
greycupgarry wrote:

You dissapoint me Tina. Tigger told me that all Ticat fans were Leafs Fans. :juggle: :tease:

Not possible because only losers are Leaf fans. :tease: