Mats Sundin, what's the deal with that guy?

Discuss Pro Hockey, Canadian Teams in particular

Moderator: Referees

Chuck-o-nauts
All Star
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Mats Sundin, what's the deal with that guy?

Post by Chuck-o-nauts » Wed May 28, 2008 10:28 pm

I was just watching the 1-on-1 interview on TSN with James Duthie, and as a Leafs fan I'm really pissed at Mats decision not to agree to be traded. He says that he doesn't regret not waiving his trade clause, but now apparently there's a possibility that he might not even be back with the Leafs next year? Are you kidding me? What the H-E-Double Hockey sticks is that??

If he knew then that he might not be back next year and refused to help the the team out at the trade deadline by allowing him to be traded to either Montreal, Ottawa, Detroit, or Buffalo (which he could have easily done), then what's up with that? If Mats was truly willing to go down with the ship last year then fine then that's a noble move I can respect. But again, if he knew before the deadline that his returning to Toronto next year was contingent on whom the Leafs brought in as GM in the off-season then that just makes me pissed, and if that's the case then IMO Mats has done enough damage and SHOULD probably go.

The Leafs could be in a much better situation right now if some things had gone differently. IF you'll indulge me, lemme recap: The Leafs were in 2nd to last place and were losing miserably. And so as a realistic Leafs fan, I was aware that a playoff push was fruit-less venture, and was happy to see the Leafs loose as many games as possible so as to improve the chances of getting the 1st pick in draft pick. But no, Noble Mats wanted to stick around and make a playoff push. Sure enough, that was finally the spark the Leafs needed to light a fire under some butts and the Leafs went on a tear winning 15 of 20 games (or something like that). But what did that do???? It finished the Leafs in the 12 spot in the East, that magic spot of no-man's land far from the playoffs and out of the lottery!!! :? :( :? :( :? :x WTF???? C'MON!! The Leafs are so good at futility, and I thought for once in my life the Leafs surely won't let me down in their ability to lose! For once the losing could pay dividends for the future! But sure enough the Leafs and Mats Sundin found a new way to disappoint the most loyal fans (beaten dog syndrome) in the world. When we were counting on them to lose, they go ahead and win. Amazing, truly amazing.

If Mats doesn't come back next year no matter who's GM, then I can only see it as a big "*frig*-ya!" to all of Leafs Nation because truly Mats did everything in his power to put the Leafs where they are today.

It coulda been a Cinderella story: Mats goes to Team Sweden in Detroit, wins the Stanley Cup he always wanted, comes back next year. the Leafs pick-up a couple solid players and a 1st rounder for him. The Leafs continue to tailspin down the standings, possibly getting a shot at 1st overall in the lotter, at least in the top 3 picks. If Mats would've ok'd a trade he would opended the flood gates to move guys like McCabe (yes, somebody would have taken him) Tucker, and the other dead weight the Leafs are carrying around and would probably have gotten a bunch more draft picks to work with, plus the trades they made at the deadline. Cliff Fletcher would have looked like a genius, and would have been able to offer a clean slate for the next GM with a basket of draft picks and a fridge full of cap space. The dominoes were ready to fall, it was all lined up but alas for nobility and honour, like the Viking ancestors before him, he chose to stay and fight. But what good did it do?? Especially if he's not even 100% sure that he's gonna be back next year.
Live for the now, because every moment is your past's future.

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Re: Mats Sundin, what's the deal with that guy?

Post by Inquiring Mind » Wed May 28, 2008 11:03 pm

He negotiated himself a no trade clause, so if he wants to veto a trade that's entirely his right.

If the Leafs don't like it, sucks for them, don't hand out no trade clauses
-

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

greycupgarry
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Location: Sect. 217 Fav. Teams: Argos, Leafs, Stamps, Flames, Patriots, Browns, Storm, Holland

Post by greycupgarry » Thu May 29, 2008 8:29 am

Inquiring Mind wrote:He negotiated himself a no trade clause, so if he wants to veto a trade that's entirely his right.

If the Leafs don't like it, sucks for them, don't hand out no trade clauses
:whs:
if you have noticed this notice you will have noticed that this notice is not worth noticing

Chuck-o-nauts
All Star
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Post by Chuck-o-nauts » Thu May 29, 2008 12:37 pm

Yes you're abosolutly right, he had every right to do it. But my point is that if he knew before the trade deadline that there was a chance that he wouldn't be playing in Blue & White next year then he purposfully screwed the Leafs over so that the Leafs end up with nothing. Don't get me wrong we have to live by the mistakes of JFJ. But for someone who proclaims to be a Maple Leaf forever, why then when the best possible move for the betterment of the franchise (that he purports to care so much about)is for him to fall on his sword and go to another playoff bound team for 3 months (1 hour flight flight from Toronto) I want to know the reason why didn't he do it?? Did he actually think that they would make the playoffs with a final push?
Live for the now, because every moment is your past's future.

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Post by Inquiring Mind » Thu May 29, 2008 12:49 pm

You can romance it all you like... but pro sports is a business, and the only person Mats Sundin owes anything to, is Mats Sundin.

People say all sorts of things... I tell my boss that I love my job... my girlfriend tells me I'm the best she's ever had... I tell my girlfriend that she's hasn't gained an ounce and looks better than ever

Lies, all lies

People say things just to be nice, or because it's the right thing to do situationally... you have to filter through a lot of *meadow muffin*.... but whatever, you can believe what you want to believe
-

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

Hollywood2
Champion
Favourite Team: Hamilton Tiger Cats

Post by Hollywood2 » Sat May 31, 2008 7:19 pm

Contracts are contracts. If Sundin was injured in a car accident would the Leafs keep sending him cheques?
August 8, 1961
HAMILTON TIGER-CATS 38
BUFFALO BILLS 21
The Tiger-Cats are the reigning champions of CFL/NFL football.

Sir Purrcival
Superstar

Post by Sir Purrcival » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:00 am

Inquiring Mind wrote:You can romance it all you like... but pro sports is a business, and the only person Mats Sundin owes anything to, is Mats Sundin.

People say all sorts of things... I tell my boss that I love my job... my girlfriend tells me I'm the best she's ever had... I tell my girlfriend that she's hasn't gained an ounce and looks better than ever

Lies, all lies

People say things just to be nice, or because it's the right thing to do situationally... you have to filter through a lot of *meadow muffin*.... but whatever, you can believe what you want to believe

Services for IM will be held on_________ at 10:00 a.m. :rotf:
Lest We Forget!

D
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions

Post by D » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:46 pm

And then there were 2 ... It's either the Rangers or the Canucks

Enough of this saga ... it's all the talk about on sports radio out here in Canuckland

psst Mats ... *poop* or get of the pot
I own The Grey Cup! .com

Sir Purrcival
Superstar

Post by Sir Purrcival » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:01 pm

If I were the Canucks, I would ask myself very simply if I wanted a guy on my team who really can't seem to be clear about what he is going to do after months and months to think about it. If the decision is that hard Matts, probably best to just retire.
Lest We Forget!

m66
Playground Scrub
Favourite Team: Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Post by m66 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:09 am

Why is Sundin discussed at all? He's just a "no-so-lovable" loser. He reminds me of another "not-so-lovable" loser - Dieter Brock (of Bomber fame). They had "promise" but never quite got 'er done. Yawwwwwwwwwwwwn.

Mike