Second NHL team for Toronto?

Discuss Pro Hockey, Canadian Teams in particular

Moderator: Referees

HammerMan
Superstar

Second NHL team for Toronto?

Post by HammerMan » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:53 pm

there are "whisperings" as reported by Dave Shoalts in his Globe and Mail story here: A second NHL team in Toronto?

If they put it in Mississauga (401/407/Mississuaga Rd? 401/403/410?) with it's own arena, it would sell-out the next day. Not sold on the Leafs sharing an arena with another team without MLSE having the new team by the stones. Who would want to be the Clippers?

Interesting comments about Hamilton; I think "minor league" is pretty clear language and notice the importance placed on drawing fans in New York. That sort of language rules out Waterloo. Make no mistake, there isn't another NHL team arriving in Ontario unless it's another Toronto team (jackasses!). I think the Toronto market seems so gold-plated to these guys that it might be the only Canadian market they trust.
“I don't think it can be an expansion team,” a governor said. “We can't expand because we would be the laughingstock of professional sports. “We've got too many troubled franchises. We've got to look at relocating a couple of them. These franchises were troubled long before the economic downturn and next year is going to be worse on them.”
LOL! tell us what you really think! that does NOT sound like a Gary Bettman approved statement! With talk like that, teams like the Rangers and the "troubled franchises" are gonna pull the knives out after Bettman. The Global Fininacial Crisis is just the excuse they have to pounce.
Oskee Whiskey! Holy Mackinaw! Tigers! Eat'em RAW!
GO Stillers! The SuperBowl XLIII Champs!
Roll Red Roll! 2006 Ohio DIII State Champs!

Inquiring Mind
Hall of Famer

Re: Second NHL team for Toronto?

Post by Inquiring Mind » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:05 pm

When did they get the first one?!?!

:tease:
-

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

tigger
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Favourite Team: Hamilton Tiger Cats

Post by tigger » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:07 pm

Inquiring Mind wrote:When did they get the first one?!?!

:whs: :popcorn:

Solar Max
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Solar Max » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:16 pm

All of Canada outside Southern Ontario just had that exact reaction. :wink:
13thman.com...THE place to talk football.

FootbalYouBet
Hall of Famer

Post by FootbalYouBet » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:11 pm

Solar Max wrote:

while those inside southern ontario are wondering when they going to get a football team :(
Don't confuse me with facts

Hymie
All Star

Post by Hymie » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm

HammerMan wrote:Interesting comments about Hamilton; I think "minor league" is pretty clear language and notice the importance placed on drawing fans in New York. That sort of language rules out Waterloo. Make no mistake, there isn't another NHL team arriving in Ontario unless it's another Toronto team (jackasses!). I think the Toronto market seems so gold-plated to these guys that it might be the only Canadian market they trust.
Will somebody please tell me where Columbus is, or Raleigh, or Anaheim, or San Jose. And the NHL does not want Hamilton because it's minor league :roll:
The CFL is alive and well
We don't need the NFL

woody
Superstar

Post by woody » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:33 pm

A second team in Toronto???

Oh Yea! Misery likes company! :roll:
I believe Cookie Gilchrist is the most complete football player of all time. He belongs in the Canadian Football Hall of Fame!

greycupgarry
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Location: Sect. 217 Fav. Teams: Argos, Leafs, Stamps, Flames, Patriots, Browns, Storm, Holland

Post by greycupgarry » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:29 am

Hymie wrote:
HammerMan wrote:Interesting comments about Hamilton; I think "minor league" is pretty clear language and notice the importance placed on drawing fans in New York. That sort of language rules out Waterloo. Make no mistake, there isn't another NHL team arriving in Ontario unless it's another Toronto team (jackasses!). I think the Toronto market seems so gold-plated to these guys that it might be the only Canadian market they trust.
Will somebody please tell me where Columbus is, or Raleigh, or Anaheim, or San Jose. And the NHL does not want Hamilton because it's minor league :roll:
Yaaaa. Right on Bro'.

Where is Hamilton again?
if you have noticed this notice you will have noticed that this notice is not worth noticing

Kanga-Kucha
Superstar

Post by Kanga-Kucha » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:34 am

FootbalYouBet wrote:
Solar Max wrote:

while those inside southern ontario are wondering when they going to get a football team :(
yeah in Ottawa :beer:
GO BOMBERS AND WINNIPEG JETS!!!
EPTC RKBC COA
Got EVS?

Kanga-Kucha
Superstar

Post by Kanga-Kucha » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:35 am

Winnpeg for the coyotes, bring them home!
GO BOMBERS AND WINNIPEG JETS!!!
EPTC RKBC COA
Got EVS?

Gill The Thrill
Superstar

Post by Gill The Thrill » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:20 am

I actually think Southern Ontario could support 2 other NHL teams. Balsillie's team in Hamilton and then another Toronto named team playing out of the north end of the GTA, in much the same way that the Islanders play in Long Island, but are a New York team.

The population base and interest is definitely here, and the competition would give fans a choice without bowing to those corporate bastards at MLSE. It would also keep hockey as the number #1 sport in the most DENSELY populated region in Canada.

I know some of you may think it would be bad for the CFL, think again. Corporate support for 3 NHL teams in the region would spell the end of this media obsession and over-represented interest in getting an NFL team in Toronto.

woody
Superstar

Post by woody » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:34 am

Gill The Thrill wrote:I actually think Southern Ontario could support 2 other NHL teams. Balsillie's team in Hamilton and then another Toronto named team playing out of the north end of the GTA, in much the same way that the Islanders play in Long Island, but are a New York team.

The population base and interest is definitely here, and the competition would give fans a choice without bowing to those corporate bastards at MLSE. It would also keep hockey as the number #1 sport in the most DENSELY populated region in Canada.

I know some of you may think it would be bad for the CFL, think again. Corporate support for 3 NHL teams in the region would spell the end of this media obsession and over-represented interest in getting an NFL team in Toronto.
Be careful there Gill...Bettman may read this and get upset that someone is making sense...he may even punch you square in the knee-cap. :tease:
I believe Cookie Gilchrist is the most complete football player of all time. He belongs in the Canadian Football Hall of Fame!

jay64
Rookie

Post by jay64 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:15 am

Judging from their record so far this season, they still don't have the first one.. :rotf: