Post by Hollywood2 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:30 pm

April 17, 2009

THE HOLLYWOOD REPORT .....

Image @ Image

TORONTO MARLIES 2
MANITOBA MOOSE 4

(North Division semi-final tied 1-1)

LINKS OFFICIAL HOLLYWOOD OBSERVATIONS

Now that the Bison season is over I can resume making post-game reports. so here are the official Hollywood observations from Friday night's game:

1. Hollywood and Son watched from the front row. What fun! Three solid bodychecks into the boards were right on our laps.

2. The Moose won with a spurt between mid-1st period and mid-2nd period. The good news about that is the Moose don't need a solid 60 minutes to beat the Marlies. The bad news is that they will need a solid 60 minutes in any future rounds.

3. The Moose aligned like this:
  • Goal:
    Schneider (Sanford backup)

Defence:
    McIver - Baumgartner
    FitzGerald - Heshka
    Fistric - Fortunas

Forwards:
    Sawada - Cullen - Jaffray
    Grabner - Krog - Desbiens
    Labrie - Bliznak - Collins
    Rallo - Bolduc - Keane (on ice for both Marlies' goals)
4. The Marlies aligned like this:
  • Goal:
    Pogge (Munro backup)

Defence:
    Perry - Oreskovic
    Engel - Stralman
    Martiens & Ryan - mixed in with other pairings

Forwards:
    Hamilton - Foster - Deveaux
    Battaglia - Stapleton - Tlusty
    Ondrus - Boyce - Williams
    Rosehill - Hollweg - Rogers
5. Ryan Hollweg is the ugliest player I have seen all season.

6. The Moose lost loads of battles for the puck.

7. I don't like it when Grabner is on the point during a power play.

8. Krog is a fabulous player. If only he skated a bit faster when carrying the puck. His passes are always right on and he always finds loads of space.

9. What was up with the ice before the 3rd period? There were two huge areas which needed major patch-ups.

10. Playoff crowds are different from regular season ones. More intense fans, fewer groups which include non-fans along for the ride, and way fewer puck bunnies.

BOOKMARKS
August 8, 1961
HAMILTON TIGER-CATS 38
BUFFALO BILLS 21
The Tiger-Cats are the reigning champions of CFL/NFL football.

D
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions

Re: 2009 Manitoba Moose Playoffs

Post by D » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:48 pm

Good Report
I have been going to Giants games including an OT game that went 126mins

What is that keeps Grabner from the NHL?
I own The Grey Cup! .com

argolio
Hall of Famer

Post by argolio » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:32 pm

Who does Hollywood cheer for, the local team or the Leaf farm team?
My name is Argolio, and I approved this post.

Hollywood2
Champion
Favourite Team: Hamilton Tiger Cats

Post by Hollywood2 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:03 am

UPDATE .....

Image @ Image

April 19, 2009

TORONTO MARLIES 2
MANITOBA MOOSE 1

(Marlies lead North Division semi-final 2-1)

LINKS April 21, 2009

TORONTO MARLIES 1
MANITOBA MOOSE 5

(North Division semi-final tied 2-2)

LINKS NEXT GAMES
  • Manitoba @ Toronto - April 23rd at 6:00 CDT
    Toronto @ Manitoba - April 25th at 7:30 CDT
    Toronto @ Manitoba - April 27th at 7:30 CDT (if necessary)
BOOKMARKS
D wrote:Good Report
I have been going to Giants games including an OT game that went 126mins

What is that keeps Grabner from the NHL?
He'll be there soon, maybe next year. He has improved greatly from last year. He is from Austria and has had less exposure to top-notch competition growing up.
argolio wrote:Who does Hollywood cheer for, the local team or the Leaf farm team?
The Moose!
August 8, 1961
HAMILTON TIGER-CATS 38
BUFFALO BILLS 21

Hollywood2
Champion

Post by Hollywood2 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:10 pm

Image @ Image

April 23, 2009

TORONTO MARLIES 2
MANITOBA MOOSE 5

(Moose lead North Division semi-final 3-2)

LINKS The Jasons (Krog and Jaffray) each scored twice whilst Cory Schneider blocked 38 of the 40 shots he faced to give the Moose the win. I have front row seats for the game on Saturday night and would like to celebrate a berth in the division finals at that time. I was listening on CJOB and the game was very tight. In fact, the Marlies scored to take the lead with 2+ minutes left in the 2nd period. However, Krog scored within a minute to level the sides at intermission. It stayed that way until Jaffray gave the Moose a lead mid-way through the 3rd period. Eventually the audience got on Pogge's back.

Game 5 photos aren't up as I post. This one is from game 4.

NEXT GAMES
  • Toronto @ Manitoba - April 25th at 7:30 CDT
    Toronto @ Manitoba - April 27th at 7:30 CDT (if necessary)
BOOKMARKS
August 8, 1961
HAMILTON TIGER-CATS 38
BUFFALO BILLS 21

Hollywood2
Champion

Post by Hollywood2 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:11 am

April 25, 2009

THE HOLLYWOOD REPORT .....

Image @ Image

TORONTO MARLIES 2
MANITOBA MOOSE 4

(Moose win North Division semi-final 4-2 )

LINKS OFFICIAL HOLLYWOOD OBSERVATIONS

1. I had another front row seat for this one, this time near the Moose bench. After the pre-game warm-up Baumgartner gave my boy a puck!

2. The overflow crowd in the upper bowl was enthusiastic from the get-go. However, it took some time to change the "POOOOOOOOOOOOOO GEEEEEEEEEEEE" chants to "MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN ROOOOOOOO".

3. The Moose aligned like this:
  • Goal:
    Schneider (Sanford backup)

Defence:
    Heshka - Baumgartner
    Fistric - Fortunas
    FitzGerald - Ramsay

Forwards:
    Grabner - Cullen - Sawada
    Jaffray - Krog - Pope
    Desbiens - Bliznak - Keane
    Labrie - Rallo - Collins
4. The Marlies aligned like this:
  • Goal:
    Munro (Pogge backup)

Defence:
    Frogren - Oreskovic
    A Rogers - Sifers
    Stralman - Perry

Forwards:
    Battaglia - Stapleton - Tlusty
    Deveaux - Foster - Hamilton
    Rosehill - Hollweg - Williams
    Ondrus - Boyce - Stalberg
5. For those following Ryan Hollweg's degree of ugliness, he did appear to have shaved since last Friday but yet remained the ugliest player I have seen all season.

6. The Moose looked as good as they have all year in the first period. It was impossible to imagine them losing.

7. The two goals surrendered in the 2nd period were weak. On one, Schneider made a bad clearance and then never got back to the net on time. He must have logged on the moosehockey.com to see what fans were chatting about. The other goal stemmed from a lazy line change.

8. The Moose have a persistent attack coming from all 4 lines. The 4th line was altered after Labrie was tossed. I thought he had the first goal, and it was originally announced as such. It was later given to Rallo, who must have unintentionally deflected it. Labrie's subsequent ejection was borderline. After a Marlie received 2 minutes for a similar hit, closer to the boards, Labrie cross-checked a player on a play which started within the face-off circle.

9. It was nice that they announced games 1 and 2 of the divisional final right after the game. Friday and Saturday next weekend!

10. Who would have thought that Giant Tiger stores would have their own cheerleaders? They were doing high-flying manoeuvres in the lobby between periods and did face painting. One 3 year old girl found the whole thing to be the highlight of the night.

BOOKMARKS
August 8, 1961
HAMILTON TIGER-CATS 38
BUFFALO BILLS 21

Hollywood2
Champion

Post by Hollywood2 » Fri May 01, 2009 9:27 pm

May 1, 2009

Image @ Image

GRAND RAPIDS GRIFFINS 1
MANITOBA MOOSE 2

(Moose lead North Division final 1-0 )

LINKS I have been unable to attend games live this weekend, so I listened on radio. It sounded like the Moose were solidly ahead of Grand Rapids but could not convert scoring chances until the first half of the 3rd period.

BOOKMARKS
August 8, 1961
HAMILTON TIGER-CATS 38
BUFFALO BILLS 21

Hollywood2
Champion

Post by Hollywood2 » Sat May 02, 2009 2:21 pm

MEDIA UPDATES:

[Moose look to build 2-0 advantage] - Ken Wiebe in the Winnipeg Sun.

[Moose storm back] - Ken Wiebe's game report article in the Sun.

[Loving life in the AHL] - Paul Friesen's Sun story on Darren McCarty.

[Captain's courageous girlfriend inspires Griffins] - Ken Wiebe's Sun story on Darren Haydar's girlfriend, who has throat cancer.

[Moose score twice in the third to defeat Griffins 2-1 in Game 1] - Canadian Press story on Google.

[You just never know when a Moose will turn into a butterfly] - Randy Turner in The Winnipeg Free Press.

[This 'C' way above average] - Gary Lawless' story in the Free Press.

[Grand Rapids Griffins fall into familiar patterns in 2-1 loss to Manitoba Moose] - Grand Rapids point of view from Mlive.com.
August 8, 1961
HAMILTON TIGER-CATS 38
BUFFALO BILLS 21

Hollywood2
Champion

Post by Hollywood2 » Sat May 02, 2009 9:46 pm

May 2, 2009

Image @ Image

GRAND RAPIDS GRIFFINS 1
MANITOBA MOOSE 2

(Moose lead North Division final 2-0 )

LINKS I was confined to the house this evening and relied upon radio coverage. The Moose never trailed. Although the score was the same both nights, it seems as if game 2 was won by Cory Schneider in goal. The Griffins were evidently frustrated and tried running the goalie. (Must have been Stewie's evil plan.) Alexandre Bolduc and Jason Krog scored for the Moose.

BOOKMARKS
August 8, 1961
HAMILTON TIGER-CATS 38
BUFFALO BILLS 21

Hollywood2
Champion

Post by Hollywood2 » Sun May 03, 2009 10:46 pm

MEDIA UPDATES

[Schneider stops 28 as Moose edge Griffins to take 2-0 North Division series lead] - Canadian Press story on Google. It had this blurb on the Downey incident:
CP wrote:At 13:52 of the second, with the whistle having been blown, Aaron Downey skated through the Moose crease and sent Schneider backwards into the net with a hard charge. Downey received a minor and a major penalty but the Moose failed to capitalize on the ensuing power play.

Arniel called out the Griffins after the game for their treatment of Schneider.

"Some of the stuff they did was bush," he said. "They knocked Cory down five times but he didn't get rattled."

Griffins' head coach Curt Fraser disagreed with Arniel, but stopped short of saying his team didn't give Schneider a hard time.

"We were the least penalized team in the league," he stated. "It's just good, hard, playoff hockey. It's a man's game.

"You've got to give the Moose a lot of credit though. They've got a big, tough team and it's hard to figure them out."
[So much for good clean fun] - Paul Friesen's story in The Sun. It was full of quotes, and here's a blurb:
The Winnipeg Sun wrote:... Griffins tough guy Aaron Downey comes up with one of those "did you just see that" moments only a knucklehead could enjoy.

Suggesting an IQ much closer to his regular-season goal total (two) than his penalty minute count (126), Downey, with his team down 2-1 in a must-win game, blindsided Moose goalie Cory Schneider with an elbow after the whistle.

With that, the 34-year-old, who played two forgettable games with the Moose way back in 1996-97, added seven of the dumbest penalty minutes you'll ever see to his pro career total of 2,797.

"Bush-league move by them," is what Moose head coach Scott Arniel called it.

Griffins boss Curt Fraser saw it another way.

"He can think whatever he wants," Fraser shot back. "The Labrie move was the same." ...
[Moose take control] - Ken Wiebe's Sun story.

Image Justin Abdelkader of Grand Rapids sounds like a Harry Potter character.

[Highlight reel: Moose 2 Griffins 1] - Free Press blow-by-blow.

[An icon stands between Moose's Schneider and an NHL gig] - Randy Turner's Free Press story.

[Moose keep cool, win] - Tim Campbell's Free Press story.

[Another loss to Moose puts Griffins in 2-0 hole] - From the Grand Rapids Press on Mlive.com, a view from the other side.
August 8, 1961
HAMILTON TIGER-CATS 38
BUFFALO BILLS 21

Hollywood2
Champion

Post by Hollywood2 » Wed May 06, 2009 9:44 pm

May 4, 2009

Image @ Image
Manitoba Moose 3
Grand Rapids Griffins 1

(Manitoba leads North Division final 3-0)

LINKS May 6, 2009

Image @ Image
Manitoba Moose 3
Grand Rapids Griffins 2

(Manitoba wins North Division final 4-0)

LINKS RECAP

This was a surprisingly low scoring affair. Sure the teams have good goaltenders (Schneider's stats lead the league and Howard is due to get a spot in Detroit next year). But one would have thought the scorers would have had some measure of success. Anyhow, this marks Manitoba's first 4 game playoff sweep. Special kudos have to go out to:

1. The checking line - Keane-Bliznak-Desbiens.

2. The goaltending - Schneider made big saves when needed and gave up only 5 goals in 4 games.

3. Alexandre Bolduc - returning from the injured list, he had an impact every game.

The Moose now await the winner of Milwaukee v. Houston. The Aeros lead 2-1 at this time.