Make it Seven

Discuss Pro Hockey, Canadian Teams in particular

Moderator: Referees

Cool
Superstar
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Make it Seven

Post by Cool » Fri May 08, 2009 9:37 am

Any thoughts...? Might as well talk about something....

Ron
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Re: Make it Seven

Post by Ron » Fri May 08, 2009 12:36 pm

Over Bettman's dead body.

If this was a super rich American wanting to move to another US city ... Bettman would bed the guy. But this is a super rich Canadian who wants to bring a team to Canada and he'll be crapped on.
Contrary to popular belief, the most dangerous animal is not the lion or tiger or even the elephant. The most dangerous animal is a shark riding on an elephant, just trampling and eating everything they see.

Hymie
All Star

Post by Hymie » Sat May 09, 2009 2:37 pm

Ron wrote:Over Bettman's dead body.
And he just might become dead over this :thup: :cross: . It's getting to the point that he won't have much of a choice. What terrifies him that if one team moves back to Canada and the rest of the owners see the huge success this new market is, then the flood gates are going to open and there are gong to be more dead weight American teams wanting to move north than there are Canadian cities to host them. His southern dream will die and hopefully him along with them.
The CFL is alive and well
We don't need the NFL

AngeloV
All Star

Post by AngeloV » Sun May 10, 2009 10:53 am

If this was a super rich American wanting to move to another US city ... Bettman would bed the guy. But this is a super rich Canadian who wants to bring a team to Canada and he'll be crapped on.

Strange how you can easily say that Bettman is being anti-Canadian, but you have such a difficult time acknowledging the same about Rogers Corp.

Not saying that I don't agree with your stance on GB, but I just find it curious.
Hugo has been retired!!!!!

Chief, this information is of the highest security. I insist that we use the cone of silence!

Cool
Superstar

Post by Cool » Sun May 10, 2009 3:30 pm

Hymie wrote:
And he just might become dead over this :thup: :cross: . It's getting to the point that he won't have much of a choice. What terrifies him that if one team moves back to Canada and the rest of the owners see the huge success this new market is, then the flood gates are going to open and there are gong to be more dead weight American teams wanting to move north than there are Canadian cities to host them. His southern dream will die and hopefully him along with them.
Yes... but what has made the NHL what it is today. With Ovechkin's $100 million dollar contract, how is that money being generated? The success of the NHL is keeping it in a market that has 300 million people. Canada can add to this... but the 24 U.S. franchises are making it what it is today.

AngeloV
All Star

Post by AngeloV » Mon May 11, 2009 7:05 am

In all seriousness, the only thing that will make the NHL a better league is contractions. It's time to get rid of the 6 or 8 weakest teams in the league. I say lose the 8 weakest markets, move 2 of them to Canada and go with a 24 team league.

Chief, this information is of the highest security. I insist that we use the cone of silence!

argolio
Hall of Famer

Post by argolio » Mon May 11, 2009 11:19 pm

Cool wrote:Yes... but what has made the NHL what it is today. With Ovechkin's $100 million dollar contract, how is that money being generated? The success of the NHL is keeping it in a market that has 300 million people. Canada can add to this... but the 24 U.S. franchises are making it what it is today.
Don't know how you can say that when the 6 Canadian teams (20%) are now generating over 1/3 of league revenues. That wasn't possible when we had a 60 cent dollar, and if the dollar gets to and stays at par (a possibility), that figure might go up to 50%.

The northern U.S. franchises are mostly in good shape, but the expansion to the south has been a disaster.
My name is Argolio, and I approved this post.

Cool
Superstar

Post by Cool » Tue May 12, 2009 6:21 pm

They still have 300 millions consumers!

Hymie
All Star

Post by Hymie » Tue May 12, 2009 6:32 pm

Cool wrote:They still have 300 millions consumers!
And about 299 million of them who don't care about hockey.
The CFL is alive and well
We don't need the NFL

Cool
Superstar

Post by Cool » Wed May 13, 2009 8:04 am

Hymie wrote:
And moving franchises is a way to cure that?

AngeloV
All Star

Post by AngeloV » Wed May 13, 2009 3:53 pm

Cool wrote:
Hymie wrote:
Well it would stop the League from continually trying to put a square peg in a round hole. Kind of like the CFL in Las Vegas or Memphis. Should the teams have stayed down there to lose more money?

Cool
Superstar

Post by Cool » Wed May 13, 2009 6:49 pm

AngeloV wrote:
Cool wrote:
Hymie wrote:
Well it would stop the League from continually trying to put a square peg in a round hole. Kind of like the CFL in Las Vegas or Memphis. Should the teams have stayed down there to lose more money?
That's different. :wink:

argolio
Hall of Famer

Post by argolio » Thu May 14, 2009 11:24 pm

Add another team to the watch list. Mr. Hicks in Dallas is struggling to refinance his massive debt load.

If they can't fix or move these troubled teams then we'll see a lot of dispersal drafts in the next few years.
My name is Argolio, and I approved this post.

Hollywood2
Champion
Favourite Team: Hamilton Tiger Cats

Post by Hollywood2 » Fri May 15, 2009 9:22 pm

I like the idea of moving several US-based franchises to Hamilton, Winnipeg, and Quebec. I don't think the NHL likes Balsillie. This legal battle will be of epic proportions. The Coyotes have raised the anti-trust specter in their arguments. That would have far-reaching effects on the entire NHL for generations to come.
August 8, 1961
HAMILTON TIGER-CATS 38
BUFFALO BILLS 21
The Tiger-Cats are the reigning champions of CFL/NFL football.

Als Fan Ottawa 1
Starter
Favourite Team: Montreal Alouettes

Post by Als Fan Ottawa 1 » Sun May 17, 2009 10:42 pm

I just can't see the NHL letting anyone get a franchise in the Hamilton area for an amount Balsillie is offering ($212.5 million USD). It would be the steal of the century, as his franchise value will probably hover around the $500M mark within 5-10 years.

This has nothing to do with Bettman hating Canada. People quickly forget he expanded to Ottawa in 1992, but are extremely quick to point up struggling financial markets (at the time) like Winnipeg and Quebec City had to pack up shop.

This is purely a business decision. If there's going to be a team in the Southern Ontario market, it's going to come with a tidy expansion fee the other 29 owners can split amongst eachother. I truly believe Balsilly will one day get his team, this is just another step in his public relations battle with the NHL.
CALGARY 09: Redemption could not be sweeter in Calgary. GO ALS GO!