Game 1 – Sat., May 30 – Hershey at Manitoba, 7:30
Game 2 – Tue., June 2 – Hershey at Manitoba, 7:30
Game 3 – Sat., June 6 – Manitoba at Hershey, 6:00
Game 4 – Sun., June 7 – Manitoba at Hershey, 4:00
*Game 5 – Tue., June 9 – Manitoba at Hershey, 6:00
*Game 6 – Fri., June 12 – Hershey at Manitoba, 7:30
*Game 7 – Sun., June 14 – Hershey at Manitoba, 7:30
(all times CDT)

The Moose Playoff Thread is [HERE]. But with the Moose in the Calder Cup final, we need a thread devoted exclusively to the championship series.

BOOKMARKS MEDIA LINKS COMMENTARY
  • I checked out Wikipedia [LINK] and see that the Hershey Bears were originally called the Hershey B'ars or even the Chocolate B'ars. Here's what it says:
    The popularity of these amateur hockey matches prompted chocolate-maker and amusement park-operator, Milton S. Hershey, and his long-time entertainment and amusements chief, John B. Sollenberger, to sponsor a permanent team in 1932–1933 called the Hershey B'ars. The club joined the newly formed Tri-State Hockey League with teams from Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Atlantic City. After one season, that circuit reformed itself into a larger, seven-club loop called the Eastern Amateur Hockey League in which Hershey played first as the "Chocolate B'ars" (1933–1934), then again as the "B'ars" (1934–1936), and finally in 1936 as the "Hershey Bears," a name they adopted in response to criticism levied by New York sportswriters and the league that the "B'ars" moniker was too commercial. (These writers had already informally dubbed the club as the "Bears from Penn's Woods" when they visited Madison Square Garden to play the New York Rovers.)
    Strange.

Anyhow, their name makes them ripe for posters. Such as: "Yogi is smarter than the average Hershey Bear." Or something about Ranger Smith in a referee's jersey calling penalties on them. Anyhow, here's the uniform I made for them:
    It is much better than one that just says "Hershey" across the front.
August 8, 1961
HAMILTON TIGER-CATS 38
BUFFALO BILLS 21
The Tiger-Cats are the reigning champions of CFL/NFL football.

Hollywood2
Champion
Favourite Team: Hamilton Tiger Cats

Re: 2009 CALDER CUP FINAL THREAD

Post by Hollywood2 » Thu May 28, 2009 10:01 am

MEDIA UPDATE

[Moose's Mr. Versatility] - Sun story on Guillaume Desbiens.

[Moose face Bears in bizarre championship series] - Vancouver article on scheduling issues.

[Over 11,000 tickets sold for Moose playoff game] - Free Press story, and headline says it all.

[Moose come of age] - Sun story by Paul Friesen on Moose status in Winnipeg.
August 8, 1961
HAMILTON TIGER-CATS 38
BUFFALO BILLS 21

Hollywood2
Champion

Post by Hollywood2 » Sat May 30, 2009 9:45 am

MEDIA UPDATE

Holy crap is this series drawing some attention!

WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

[Seasons in the sun] - Free Press story is on the various championships won by the current Moose players earlier in their careers.

[Bears boast lots of backbone, have faced adversity head-on On 2] - Tim Campbell looks at the Bears in the Free Press.

[Live coverage of Moose playoffs, Rd. 4 Gm. 1] - If you are watching hockey at home Saturday night then follow here for live updates.

[For a Cup, real men take a shot from puck] - Gary Lawless on the take-one-for-the-team philosophy.

[His word is gold -- scout's honour] - Randy Turner on Bruce Southern's scouting for the Moose.

[Moose ready to take on rival Bears in Calder Cup final] =- Tim Campbell's pre-game report for Game 1.

[Selling out for the team] - [Sellout nears for Calder Cup opener] - The Free Press had two writers on the same topic!

[Moose relish shot at reversing playoff luck] - Tim Campbell's series outlook piece.

WINNIPEG SUN / CANOE

[Moose and Bears ready to clash] - Ken Wiebe's Sun pre-game story for Game 1.

[These Bears attack] - Ken Wiebe looks at the Bears in the Sun. And [HERE] at Canoe.

[Moose closing in on sellout] - Ken Wiebe in the Sun. The link has a video as well.

[Moose fever rising] - Sun article by Ross Romaniuk on the Moose raking in the cash these days.

[Moose, Bears turn to video to prepare for unknown foe] - Ken Wiebe writes on the series itself.

[Moose's Mr. Versatility] - Sun story on Guillaume Desbiens.

[In search of a second championship] - Sun story on Cody Hodgson.

[Extra seasoning with Moose helps Star shine] - Sun story on Mark Fistric.

['This is why I'm playing'] - Sun story on Mike Keane.

[Key Krog in Cup aspirations] - Sun story on Jason Krog.

[Stars align for Moose] - Sun story on the Dallas affiliation.

[City deserves a winner, says Arniel] - Another Ken Wiebe short story, this one linked to Canoe.

OTHER

[Alzner hopes to play Moose] - BC Local News has a story on one of their native sons in the Hershey lineup.

[Arniel: Moose Lodge full of Winners] - WHPTV from Hershey has a story on the Moose, with a video.

[Elite AHL forwards Giroux and Krog, former teammates, meet in Calder Cup finals] - Pennlive.com writes about the former Wolves.

[Junior star Hodgson hits his stride after call-up from OHL] - Faceoff.com focuses on Cody Hodgson.

[Love of the game keeps Keane playing] - National Post story on Mike Keane. His grandmother lived to be 105!

[Gordon, Joudrey to play for Calder Cup] - The article from Nova Scotia is about their local boys who play for the Bears.
August 8, 1961
HAMILTON TIGER-CATS 38
BUFFALO BILLS 21

Hollywood2
Champion

Post by Hollywood2 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:09 pm

I was tied up after I arrived home from game 1 and never did post about it, so here goes a belated report ...

May 30, 2009

Image @ Image

HERSHEY BEARS 5
MANITOBA MOOSE 4

IN OVERTIME
(Bears lead Calder Cup final 1-0.)

[TEAM SUMMARY -with video highlights] ~ [MOOSE TV]
[AHL SUMMARY] ~ [AHL STORY] ~ [AHL HIGHLIGHTS]

OFFICIAL HOLLYWOOD OBSERVATIONS

1. Upon entering the arena I noticed I left my pen behind and therefore did not have my usual notes about lines etc. to rely upon. Basically, the Moose lines were unchanged:

Forwards:
Pope - Krog - Jaffray
Grabner - Cullen - Hodgson
Keane - Bliznak - Desbiens
Sawada - Rallo - Collins

Defence:
Baumgartner - Heshka
Fistric - Fortunas
Ramsey - Fitzgerald

Goal:
Schneider (Sanford)

2. The one thing that stood out as a Hershey weakness was their d-men were easy to skate around. Even Guillaume Desbiens was able to slide between a defense pair. One time, on a line change, Matt Pope stickhandled around one d-man twice and the other once. The Moose should have exploited that more often when at even-strength.

3. Jason Jaffray was hauled down without penalty on at least 4 occasions.

4. We arrived early and took in dinner at Rinkside Bar & Grill. If you are offended by young women in short tight dresses then avoid that place at all costs. As for the food, my son and dad gave high marks to the ribs. I had steak and prawns, which was OK. They also had Canada v Wales rugby on TV.

5. Corey Schneider was unlucky and a bit sloppy. The Hershey goals were basically scrambles and odd bounces. The first goal was also the result of lazy backchecking on a PP.

6. That the Moose scored late to force OT was fabulous, however they had every chance to score twice. I could not believe how Hershey was lax on taking penalties. Shooting the puck into the stands is always called these days.

7. The atmosphere was the best ever for a Moose game.

8. Randy Carlyle was shown on the big screen and drew a nice ovation.

9. Why were the concessions short on those Maynard candies?

10. The turning point came when the Moose led 3-1 and Pope was stiopped on a penalty shot followed by a failed PP on overlapping Hershey penalties.

June 2, 2009

Image @ Image

HERSHEY BEARS 1
MANITOBA MOOSE 3

(Calder Cup final tied 1-1.)
[AHL SUMMARY] ~ [AHL STORY]

Jason Jaffray scored a hat-trick for the Moose, the last one coming into an empty net. He said that today his daughter coloured on a $5 bill which he kept in his glove for good luck. It worked!

NEXT UP:

Game 3 – Sat., June 6 – Manitoba at Hershey, 6:00 CT
Game 4 – Sun., June 7 – Manitoba at Hershey, 4:00 CT
Game 5 – Tue., June 9 – Manitoba at Hershey, 6:00 CT
*Game 6 – Fri., June 12 – Hershey at Manitoba, 7:30 CT
*Game 7 – Sun., June 14 – Hershey at Manitoba, 7:30 CT

MEDIA UPDATE

[PRESS RELEASE] - Shaw and MTS will show games 3, 4, and 5 live from Hershey! (Shaw channel 9 and MTS channel 50.)

[CP REPORT ON GAME 1] - the link is to Canoe.

[Loss tough to Bear] - Ken Wiebe's Sun/Canoe story on game 1.

[Moose lose action-packed game] - Paul Friesen's Sun/Canoe story on game 1.

[Moose draw even in Calder Cup final] - Ken Wiebe's Sun report on game 2 is just up as I post.

[Jaffray powers Moose to 3-1 victory] - Tim Campbell's Free Press story.

[FREE PRESS CALDER CUP PAGE] - links to all Free Press stories.

[CANOE AHL PAGE] - links to all Sun/Canoe stories.

August 8, 1961
HAMILTON TIGER-CATS 38
BUFFALO BILLS 21

Hollywood2
Champion

Post by Hollywood2 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:32 pm

MEDIA UPDATE

CANOE / WINNIPEG SUN

[Much like famous father, Bourque has 'big arsenal'] - Ken Wiebe story. Frankly, I never thought much of Bourque.

[Evenly-matched teams make for thrilling Calder Cup final] - Another Wiebe story, and it's hard to argue.

[Maple Leafs dump Gilbert as Marlies coach] - CP story linkled to Canoe.

[Flames name Playfair head coach of AHL] - Another CP story at Canoe.

[Bears veteran seizes moment] - Another Wiebe story, this one on former Moose Bryan Helmer.

[Block as big as a goal] - Paul Friesen story on Zack FitzGerald.

WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

[Moose playing in front of full house this weekend] - Tim Campbell writes on the sell-out crowds expected in Hershey.

[Sellout crowd in Hershey not fazing Moose] - Campbell then writes about how the crowds won't faze the Moose!

[Follow real-time coverage of Calder Cup Game 3]

[Follow real-time coverage of Calder Cup Game 4]
August 8, 1961
HAMILTON TIGER-CATS 38
BUFFALO BILLS 21

Hollywood2
Champion

Post by Hollywood2 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:24 pm

I was unable to spend much time at the computer on the weekend so here goes a massive catch-up for the whole Hershey road-trip ...

June 6, 2009

Image @ Image

MANITOBA MOOSE 0
HERSHEY BEARS 3

(Bears lead Calder Cup final 2-1.)

June 7, 2009

Image @ Image

MANITOBA MOOSE 1
HERSHEY BEARS 2

(Bears lead Calder Cup final 3-1.)

The game started when I was at the Goldeyes' game. It was exciting when the Moose took a 1-0 lead. However, that was their only goal of the weekend. The goal came against the grain of play. However, the Moose did outplay the Bears for most of the 2nd and 3rd periods. Again, the difference was the PP. The Moose never cashed in on their chances whilst Hershey scored the winner on one of their's. Unfortunately, the winner was in part caused by Max Fortunas leaving the bench early on the PK, thus putting the Moose two men down. Ugh.

June 9, 2009

Image @ Image

MANITOBA MOOSE 3
HERSHEY BEARS 2

(Bears lead Calder Cup final 3-2.)

I was at my son's baseball game and by the time we got into the car to go home, the Moose had already won! So I watched the 2nd and 3rd periods on the PVR. It was a nice win for the Moose, especially with a couple of injuries. I heard on the radio pre-game show that Cullen, Rallo, and FitzGerald were out. So Pope, Hodgson, and McIver were in. Hodgson had to come up with a big game as 2nd line centre. Krog looked like he was hurt but he still made several nice plays, and had a goal and an assist.

The forward lines were also shuffled. Krog's wingers were Grabner and Desbiens. Hodgson then centered Jaffray and Sawada, who bounced back into the top 2 lines with a strong game.

NEXT UP:

Game 6 – Fri., June 12 – Hershey at Manitoba, 7:30 CT
*Game 7 – Sun., June 14 – Hershey at Manitoba, 7:30 CT

MEDIA UPDATE

[FREE PRESS CALDER CUP PAGE] - links to all Free Press stories.

[Moose stave off elimination with 3-2 win over Bears in Calder Cup] - This is a Canadian Press story linked to the Free Press. The Slam! link is [HERE] - It points out that Krog's empty-netter was his first of the season. Odd!

[Winning 101: Goalie must play very well] - Tim Campbell's pre-game story in the Free Press.

[Moose first in fans] - The Moose have drawn 101,392 in 10 home games. BTW, I wonder what is the AHL series record for combined attendance? If this one goes 7 the total will be over 90,000.

[Moose win Game 5, force return to Winnipeg] - The story is brief but there is a video link, which I have yet to view.

[Moose taking it one game at a time] - Gary Lawless' pre-game story.

[CANOE AHL PAGE] - links to all Sun/Canoe stories.

[Moose forward happy to chip in where he can @Sun]and [@Slam!] - Ken Wiebe's story on Bolduc.

[Uncalled high checks irk Moose coach @Sun] and [@Slam!]- Wiebe writes again, this time on Arniel's beef with the refs.

[Moose won’t change approach] - Wiebe's pre-game story.

[No quit in Moose @ Sun] and [@Slam!] - Wiebe's mandatory pre-game cliches.

[Crowds impress] - Wiebe's story in Slam! about the crowds.

August 8, 1961
HAMILTON TIGER-CATS 38
BUFFALO BILLS 21

Hollywood2
Champion

Post by Hollywood2 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:30 pm

MEDIA UPDATE:

WINNIPEG SUN / CANOE SLAM!

[Moose keep season alive @Sun] and [A Hershey kiss-off @Slam!] - Ken Wiebe's story, duplicated at both sites.

[Schneider saves the day] - Wiebe writes about the goaltender. He played some minor hockey with Chris Bourque of the Bears.

[Moose fever rampant] - Sun story points out that all game 6 and 7 tickets are gone.

[Moose tracks]

WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

[Cheering fans welcome Moose back] - Ashley Prest had the story.

[Schneider brings it back home] - Tim Campbell had a good story on the game.

[Big guns finally start firing] - Gary Lawless wrote his story after doing colour on the TV broadcast. He never said much about the security guard who drove him nuts during the game!

[Highlight REEL:Moose 3 Bears 2] - Lawless wrote this as well as the game progressed.

PENNLIVE.COM

[Moose beat Bears 3-2, force Calder Cup finals back to Winnipeg] - Tim Leone of The Patriot-News has a brief story but there are lots of pictures.

[Manitoba Moose goalie Cory Schneider crashes Hershey Bears' party] - Andrew P. Shay of The Patriot-News joins in with kudos for Cory.

[Referee swallows whistle as Manitoba edges Hershey Bears 3-2 to stay alive] - the story had a picture of Fistric shushing the crowd:

[Neuvy and the Bears will have to wait] - This is from the "Stack the Pads" blog in Hershey.

[Calder Cup finals: Hershey makes plans for a return visit to Winnipeg] - Tim Leone of The Patriot-News says Da Bears are chartering in on Thursday.

THEAHL.COM

[Moose grew steadily for shot at a championship] - TheAHL.com has this retrospective on the Moose of the past.

[AHL HIGHLIGHTS PAGE] - Game 5 is up! For photo galleries [CLICK HERE].
August 8, 1961
HAMILTON TIGER-CATS 38
BUFFALO BILLS 21

Hollywood2
Champion

Post by Hollywood2 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:44 pm

MEDIA UPDATE:

THEAHL.COM:

[Chocolate-Moose a sweet treat for AHL fans] - This page also has links to all summaries, photos, and video highlights for games played to date. The story also has all the stats on prior attendance records.

WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

[Watch the Moose game on the big screen] - That's right, head to Portage and Main! Too bad I have tickets already!

[Moose want cup to Calder own] - Lawless' story. His "keys" are:
1. First 10 minutes
2. Disciples of discipline
3. Masked robbery (goaltending)
4. You show me yours, I'll show you mine (big scorers)
5. A hero, my kingdom for a hero

[Much more to Moose than Schneider] - Tim Campbell's pre-game.

[Holubtsi Kid recalls comeback] - Randy Turner writes about local boy Pete Kapusta, who played for the Providence Reds when they came back from down 3-1 to beat Hershey in 1949.

WINNIPEG SUN / CANOE-SLAM!

[Moose desperate but calm] ~ [@ SLAM!] - Ken Wiebe's story.

[Goalies could decide who wins Calder Cup] - Another Wiebe story which follows the headline.

[Stress level high as Moose enter dogfight] ~ [@ SLAM!] - Paul Friesen's pre-game story.

[Torn Krog pulling for Stanley Cup coaches] ~ [@ SLAM!] - Krog has connections with both SCF coaches.

[McIver meets the challenge after layoff] ~ [@ SLAM!] - Wiebe gives some background on McIver. I thought he did fine.

[Electricity in the air] ~ [@ SLAM!] - Wiebe's bit on the pending nut-house.

PENNLIVE.COM

[Calder Cup finals: Reid in, Perreault out for Hershey Bears in Game 6] - The story is a pre-game piece and includes the Bears' projected lines:
Lines:
Giroux-Aucoin-Mink
Bourque-Wilson-Gordon
Laing-Beagle-Reid
Osala-Joudrey-Pinizzotto

D-pairs:
Arsene-Carlson
Sloan-Kronwall
Alzner-Helmer
Amadio-Lepisto

[FanLine: More on the Hershey Bears, more on Calder Cup finals officiating] - This is a user comment piece.

[The Hershey Bears' long march to the Calder Cup resumes with Game 6 against the Manitoba Moose] - This was yesterday's story.

[FanLine: Officiating a question mark in Calder Cup finals] - This is Thursday's fan comment piece.

[Bears-Moose: Game 6 viewing party at Giant Center] - They can watch the game at their rink! That would be a good time.
August 8, 1961
HAMILTON TIGER-CATS 38
BUFFALO BILLS 21