Vancouver GM to blame for team's playoff ouster, says Cherry

Discuss Pro Hockey, Canadian Teams in particular

Moderator: Referees

Pakalolo
Starter
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions

Vancouver GM to blame for team's playoff ouster, says Cherry

Post by Pakalolo » Thu May 23, 2013 9:42 am

I totally agree with this. The wrong guy was fired.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/sto ... nucks.html
Cherry says Canuck coaches 'thrown down the drain'
segment on Hockey Night in Canada that Gillis is the person who kept the Sedin twins, Daniel and Henrik, with the team despite the pair’s poor goal-scoring performances over the past two post-seasons.

The twins failed to score in a four-game sweep at the hands of San Jose in Round 1 of this year’s Stanley Cup playoffs. Daniel also didn’t score in two games during last year’s playdowns, while Henrik fired two goals in five contests last spring.

“He’s the guy that had the controversy with the goaltenders [Roberto Luongo and Cory Schneider during the regular season].
“As far as I’m concerned, the general manager threw three good guys down the drain and that’s a shame. [It’s] his fault, all the way. Vigneault, I just get to know your name and you’re gone.”
They'll still be stuck with the same problem, and another team will get a high quality coach. What a dumb move. It's too bad Sweden is such a nice place to be when the play offs start. :thdn:
Pain is inevitable...suffering is optional...

D
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Re: Vancouver GM to blame for team's playoff ouster, says Ch

Post by D » Thu May 23, 2013 5:10 pm

Gillis has certainly made some mistakes, but the players had stopped listening to the coach and the PP coach Newell Brown had a poor strategy and use of personnel (Garrison)

I blame the players more than the coach or GM
I own The Grey Cup! .com

Pakalolo
Starter

Post by Pakalolo » Thu May 23, 2013 11:12 pm

If you blame the players, you blame the GM. I'll reiterate again. The Sedins are sub par performance players. When the end of the season comes, so does the Sedins output.
I'll stand by what Cherry said( 1st time by the way)...The Sedins cost their coach his job.
And this whole goalie thing is ridiculous. Gillis is way over his head.
Maybe Eagleson can give him some advise... :rotf:
I'm starting to rant... But it was a great freakin' team, but someone had to realize that the Swede boys weren't doing their jobs .
....Ugh...wrong guy got fired, IMO.|
'nucks are going backwards. I'm not into dressing room reality shows.
You called me on Luongo's stats, but you ignore the coaches stats. Stay consistent. The team that gets Alain, gets a Cup .
The team that keeps a player agent as gm will go no where. :cowboy:
Ugh... good luck Alain

D
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by D » Fri May 24, 2013 11:10 pm

Gillis deserves his fair share of blame but he doesn't play on the power play
I own The Grey Cup! .com

Pakalolo
Starter

Post by Pakalolo » Sat May 25, 2013 5:05 pm

Yea ...OK...Gillis is a GM genius. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Alain will get hired right away. Gillis( who the F thought this guy would make a good GM), will never get another shot. But maybe he can bump the Sedins contract, and Luongo's as well. Gillis should take the sword.
A competent GM would get rid of the swedes AND either Luongo or Shneider Or both... I don't give a wipe... Gillis is not very good at what he does. Maybe he can ask some advise from Mike 'The Duff' Duffy. Everyones friend in PEI. :rotf:
Gillis is a player agent. Who thought he could be a GM.

D
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by D » Sat May 25, 2013 9:07 pm

My post says ...
Gillis deserves his fair share of blame
Your right AV will be hired right away he is a great coach but after 7 years I think the players stopped listening. That combined with the power play going from one of the best in the league to one of the worst ... well someone has to pay the price and more times than not in a situation like this it's the coach.
I own The Grey Cup! .com

Pakalolo
Starter

Post by Pakalolo » Sun May 26, 2013 7:00 pm

I don't know anything about players that stop listening. Does that mean they stop scoring, or stop hitting, or stop making saves? The Canucks are/were a great team. The coach had everything. They just needed someone who could take that step up to the next level... Gillis isn't that bright. Just ask Al Eagleson.
I'm a Canuck fan. I want something better. The Sedins and Gillis aren't in my expectations/hallucinations ! A good coach was.

D
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by D » Mon May 27, 2013 4:10 pm

Speaking of good coaching how come after back to back presidents trophies Coach V isn't even in the conversation for Team Canada Coach in Sochi?

I'm not saying he should be the coach but he certainly should be in the conversation and I haven't heard his name mentioned once :read:
I own The Grey Cup! .com

Pakalolo
Starter

Post by Pakalolo » Mon May 27, 2013 5:03 pm

D wrote:Speaking of good coaching how come after back to back presidents trophies Coach V isn't even in the conversation for Team Canada Coach in Sochi?

I'm not saying he should be the coach but he certainly should be in the conversation and I haven't heard his name mentioned once :read:
Right on! :thup

Whoever gets AV, gets alot of class.
Gllis, not so much.

D
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by D » Mon May 27, 2013 9:50 pm

Vigneault released the following statement late Wednesday afternoon:

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the Aquilini family, Mike Gillis, Lorne Henning, Laurence Gilman, Stan Smyl, Victor de Bonis and the entire management, scouting, training and front office staff with the Vancouver Canucks.
The past seven years have been an honour for me to coach and work for a great franchise in a wonderful Canadian city. To work in a city with such passionate and loyal fans is a privilege – I enjoyed every moment of it.
I am grateful to Dave Nonis and Steve Tambellini for the opportunity they provided me eight years ago. Over the past seven years, I have made many good friends in Vancouver and had the chance to coach quality players who cared deeply about their profession and were committed to winning.
I am grateful to the players and their families for the sacrifice and dedication they showed in an effort to be the best they could be. Watching as many of our players started families, became fathers and grew as men, on and off of the ice, was equally rewarding.
To Rick Bowness, Newell Brown, Rollie Melanson and Darryl Williams – I say thank you for your tireless effort every day – I am grateful for your friendship and dedication. You should all be very proud of your achievements.
I am proud of many of the things we accomplished as a group these past seven seasons in Vancouver and only wish we were able to win the Canucks first Stanley Cup. I am a career coach and it is what I love to do. I hope to coach again in this League and will always have good memories of my time and the fans in Vancouver.
Coach V
I own The Grey Cup! .com

cfldave
Superstar

Post by cfldave » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:53 am

Daniel Sedin stats

Reg Season 906 291 467 758 172 382 106 0 63 2,361 12.3
Playoffs96 23 44 67 -11 78 10 0 5 282 8.2
Don't Give Up: Don't Give In: But Do Give Back

cfldave
Superstar

Post by cfldave » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:05 am

Daniel Sedin stats

Reg Season 906 291 467 758 172 382 106 0 63 2,361 12.3
Playoffs 96 23 44 67 -11 78 10 0 5 282 8.2

Average regular season points per game 0.83
Average playoff points per game 0.69

Henrik Sedin Stats
Reg Season 940 182 610 792 200 534 46 6 33 1,393 13.1
Playoffs 99 22 52 74 -15 56 9 0 4 166 13.3

Average regular season points per game 0.84
Average playoff points per game 0.74

Does the fact that the games get tougher and the goals more scarce during the playoffs or is that just making excuses for the Sedins so called disappearing act.

The GM doesn't decide how the players are used but that's no reason to keep Gillis around. The players do need to take responsibility for their performance and one can assume for those that don't under Tortorella it will be a long and painful season..
Don't Give Up: Don't Give In: But Do Give Back