Russians Threaten to Arrest Gay Athletes at Olympics

Discuss Pro Hockey, Canadian Teams in particular

Moderator: Referees

cfldave
Superstar

Russians Threaten to Arrest Gay Athletes at Olympics

Post by cfldave » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:46 am

That happy little democrat Vladiir Putin is at it again, this time he's out to wipe out homosexuality:

Calls for Olympic boycott after Russia pledges to enforce anti-gay law

There are growing calls to boycott the 2014 Sochi Olympics after Russia’s sports minister announced that visiting athletes and tourists will be punished for breaking the country’s controversial new law criminalizing gay “propaganda.”
Minister Vitaly Mutko said Thursday that people with “non-traditional sexual orientation” are not banned from competing in the Games, but there will be consequences for anyone who publicly advocates homosexuality.
Penalties under the law, which was signed by President Vladimir Putin in June, include fines, imprisonment for up to 15 days, and deportation.
Read more: http://bc.ctvnews.ca/calls-for-olympic- ... z2azmVRkOw

Should we really be going to Russia, which amounts to supporting this jerk and a sizable number of Russian parliamentarians and their pathetic prejudices, or would that be unfair to the athletes. Personally I think it would be unfair and that no boycott of the games should happen. However I would just love to see the Canadian hockey team announce it's support for the LGBT community just before the championship game, assuming we get to the game. Let's just make a huge effort to embarass the hell out of Putin and the bigots of the Russian community.
Don't Give Up: Don't Give In: But Do Give Back

Pakalolo
Starter
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions

Re: Russians Threaten to Arrest Gay Athletes at Olympics

Post by Pakalolo » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:19 pm

I agree.
No boycott! Why punish the athletes.
But if you look at the penalties involved, it seems like the Russkies are trying to stack their deck. 15 day imprisonment. Sounds about the right length of time to give their athletes a break.The games are around 15 days. If that's not enough time, then deport them. Hmmm.
The aren't going to arrest gay athletes either. They're going to arrest anyone who promotes non traditional family values. How did the US ever get the Olympics? Also, It's just been reported that Canada did starvation tests on native children in the 50's and 60's and yet people want Canada to rehost. Unreal.
There should be other ways to protest. If no one showed up for their opening and closing ceremonies. If sponsors were forced to pull advertising by pressure groups. Im sure there's more things to do.
Pain is inevitable...suffering is optional...

cfldave
Superstar

Post by cfldave » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:42 pm

LOL if every nation had to make amends for every misdeed committed in the "national interest"we'd all be broke and hopelessly depressed.

Pakalolo
Starter
Favourite Team: British Columbia Lions

Post by Pakalolo » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:38 pm

I think it's escalated ! Syria uses chemical weapons. Of course they deny it. Russia blames the rebels.HA! therefore, backs the use of chemical weapons. They have alot of military bases in that country. Of course they would back Assad!
Right about now, I don't think it's business as usual. I think Russia should rethink their policies.
http://www.advocate.com/news/world-news ... ples-homes
Russia Raids Gay People's Homes
I think this was done by the Nazi's...and we're sending athletes there?
F the russkies! :D
Pain is inevitable...suffering is optional...

cfldave
Superstar

Post by cfldave » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:59 pm

Russia has no military bases in Syria, only one small naval repair facility at the Syrian port of Tartous used to handle minor repairs and provide supplies for Russian naval ships in the Mediterranean. They are apparently evacuating the base as a safety precaution in light of a possible military strike by America and possibly others.