From time to time there are some threads worthy of keeping .... they go in here

Moderator: Referees

tigger
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Favourite Team: Hamilton Tiger Cats

GreyCupGarry

Post by tigger » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:49 am

It is with great sorrow to inform you the passing of Garry Terpstra (GreyCupGarry), a trusted friend, and mentor who passed away today the 07th of December 2008.

Garry’s greatest joy was getting together with his CFL friends and tilting back a few brews and having lots of laughs.

Garry will be truly missed by all.

Our prayers and thoughts from the McGrath’s go out to Brad, Ally and the Terpstra Family.

If you wish to send condolences to Garry’s Family, here is Garry’s address:

PO Box 273<-----------
205 Clara St. Rockwood,
ON N0B2K0

Resting at the Gilbert MacIntyre and Son Funeral Home, ''Rockwood Chapel,'' 117 Guelph Street, Rockwood, where the family will receive friends for visitation on Thursday, December 11, 2008 from 2-4 p.m., followed by a Funeral Service in the funeral home Chapel at 4 p.m. Cremation to follow. Donations on Garry's behalf can be made to the CFL Fans Fight Cancer, cards available at the funeral home, 519-856-1100 or send condolences at http://www.gilbertmacintyreandson.com

************* Donations to CFLFFC (In Memory Of Gary Terpstra) *************

Until we open up a Bank Account, you can either give it to Randy on Thursday or sent it to me, and we will deposit it in the account.

Make cheque out to Wellwood Resource Centre/CFLFFC <--------------------NEW

Mail to:

William McGrath
13 Martimas Ave
Hamilton Ont
L8H 3N1

Tig

ticatfan
Superstar

Re: GreyCupGarry

Post by ticatfan » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:52 am

Garry, I will miss you so much my friend.

argofan87
Superstar
Favourite Team: Toronto Argonauts

Post by argofan87 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:56 am

This is certainly a shock. Garry was always a big part of tailgates in Toronto and was always positive even if the Argonauts were not necessarily playing well. My condolences go out to the entire family.
Ummagumma

CatsEyes
Superstar

Post by CatsEyes » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:10 am

I'm still stunned at how sudden this all was. It won't be the same this November. Thank you for sharing this with us Bill. Miss you already, Garry.

Catssuck
Champion

Post by Catssuck » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:10 am

You will be truly missed my Great friend. I am saddened by this news and know that our entire world is a much lonelier place today.
On July 13th 2007 Cossack wrote: I agree with the Argo fan.
Thanks for finally coming around Terry - the Ticats do suck.

Solar Max
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Solar Max » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:16 am

Huge loss to so many of us.

I grieve for my friend.

Godspeed Ally.
13thman.com...THE place to talk football.

gogades
Champion
Location: Section DD, Southside Lower Deck, until they went up in a cloud of dust.

Post by gogades » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:28 am

I am stunned and saddened by this news.

My thoughts go out to his family.
"My greatest sadness is for a fan base that has been mistreated by this league. It is a fan base that is painted unfairly around this country because unless you've been there, you just don't know." - Eric Tillman, GC Week 2007

Cool
Superstar

Post by Cool » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:30 am

Even though I only met him once, aside from seeing his insightful posts on here; I'm shocked.

Ravi Ramkissoonsingh
Hall of Famer

Post by Ravi Ramkissoonsingh » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:44 am

Wow! That is shocking! That is very sad to hear.
There is one thing that no Argo fan should ever forget - Rob Ford, Doug Ford, Paul Godfrey, Phil Lind and Larry Tanenbaum are all pure evil!

renagaderob
Rookie

Post by renagaderob » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:58 am

I am going to miss you. Thank-you for your gift of friendship.

tuck
Superstar

Post by tuck » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:58 am

What a loss to the CFL fan community. It's truly shocking how someone with so much life and vitality can be taken so suddenly. He was in fine form when I saw him at the Grey Cup. Celebrating the CFL, celebrating good friends, celebrating life....

Garry was always so generous and friendly. Bringing pierogies and pulled pork sandwiches to the tailgate parties; sharing them with everyone, new friends and old friends alike. He would spend hours preparing the food at home. He was one of the most hospitable persons I knew, opening his home to friends from afar, welcoming them, throwing parties in their honour.

He seemed to have cheated death once, surviving a horrific car crash that left him in considerable pain. Pain that he never complained about. He seemed determined though to live each extra day to the fullest. In doing so, he taught us to do the same. He showed respect to everyone, and chided the rest of us when we didn't.

He was the first 13thman member that Catssuck introduced me to, several years ago, and since we hit it off so well, like he did with so many. He had a way of making you feel like a great friend. And he literally had hundreds of great friends. That gift was special, that gift will be missed.

We have lost one of the CFL's biggest fans. My heart goes out to Ally and Brad (Fordman) who will miss Garry beyond belief I'm sure.

I didn't get a chance to say goodbye, and regret that. But Garry I pray you didn't suffer. Goodbye my friend.

ArgoFans
Rookie

Post by ArgoFans » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:06 am

Garry... A true friend, always a smile on your face, and a true CFL fan. Garry you will be sadly missed, my condolences to Ally and Brad.
Rest in peace my friend.
Argos

OrangeShoes99
Superstar

Post by OrangeShoes99 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:15 am

It is with great sadness I receive this news. I am so glad we got to share some time in Montreal this year.

Garry was always the happiest guy in the room, and his love for life and sharing it with his CFL friends was infectious. His efforts for CFL Fans Fight Cancer were tireless, and no one cooked a batch of ribs like Garry.

Garry, it was a pleasure to know you, my thoughts and prayers go out to Ally, Brad, and the rest of the Terpstra family. You will be missed.
All together for 3rdDown..."Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanaaaaaaaa!"
CFL Fans Fight Cancer - See how you can help at http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com

Ron
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Post by Ron » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:13 am

Irene and I will miss our friend Garry. Truly one of the gems in our world and his passing will leave a hole that everyone will notice. A more kind, gracious and hospitable guy you could never meet.

His greatest testament was his spirit. Living with considerable pain every day is very hard to do. (as I can attest) But Garry managed to not let it take his spirit and he defiantly had his fun anyway. His zest has been an influence of my handling of my own issues. Just because the pain is always there doesn't mean you have to give in to it. It's there anyway so might as well enjoy. Thanks for that Garry. RIP and farewell.

Heaven is a better place today. I can just envision the Pearly Gates and it's Garry's turn to enter. He'll put his left foot in .....
Contrary to popular belief, the most dangerous animal is not the lion or tiger or even the elephant. The most dangerous animal is a shark riding on an elephant, just trampling and eating everything they see.

nelson95
Rookie

Post by nelson95 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:44 am

Riding the bus to GC this year was one of the highlights of our trip and it all had to do with Garry

This is devestating
Give the ball to LEEEERoy!